What's new

Parts Of Canada Are Currently Colder Than The South Pole And Mars

Zibago

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Parts Of Canada Are Currently Colder Than The South Pole And Mars
The freezing weather is wreaking havoc across the country.
12/28/2017 20:39 EST | Updated 3 hours ago
http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Feb01ae9bb32310e92b53ae0caf2e59b1%2F205987497%2Fpeople-walk-through-snow-on-a-cold-day-in-quebec-city-canada-on-27-picture-id899022402

ALICE CHICHE VIA GETTY IMAGES
A woman walks through snow on a cold day in Quebec City on Wednesday.

Best of luck with this cold spell, Canada.

Weather across the country on Dec. 28 had people shivering from coast-to-coast-to-coast, as yet another freezing day in an unusually cold week came to pass.

Ottawa had the dubious honour of being the coldest capital in the world when its overnight temperatures hit -29 C Wednesday night. This made it colder than Mongolia's capital of Ulan Bator, which usually holds the position, according to CBC News.

Most of the country is currently colder than Antarctica, where the temperature hovered at a downright enjoyable -16 C at the Amundsen-Scott Weather Station. St. John's, N.L. was one of the only exceptions at around -5 C.

The Gale Crater on Mars clocked in at -23 C on Dec. 28, which makes the red planet around the same as temperatures in Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Calgary which were all somewhere between -19 and -24 C today, CTV News reported.

dims
ALICE CHICHE VIA GETTY IMAGES
People walk down an icy street in Quebec City on Wednesday.

If your car needs a tow or boost in Edmonton, because it's so damn cold, you're out of luck. The CAA's wait times as of Thursday are nearly 17 hours for a full tow, 5.5 hours for a light boost or lock out, and they've suspended battery testing and replacements entirely due to severe weather.

Another chilling fact about the weather is that it's cold enough to have broken at least one window, as shown in this tweet by a woman in Northwestern Ontario.

View image on Twitter
DSEC8q3UEAAnMF-.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/mrsdrpepper76/status/946040676239544320
Cris@mrsdrpepper76

I've been in some cold weather, but never cold enough to CRACK MY WINDOW. Sounded like a gunshot #ONWeather#Extremecold @weathernetwork #shareyourweather

8:30 PM - Dec 27, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Another fun fact to read while sipping on hot chocolate and burrowing under a mountain of blankets? Most of the world's animals would die if they were currently in Montreal, according to the National Post. Lucky for them, they are not, but we miserable Canadians aren't so lucky, and we can't even hibernate like those stinkin' bears.

Montreal was also so cold Wednesday night that firefighters struggled to fight an overnight blaze because their water kept freezing in their hoses, AFP reported.

A weather wave this long and this cold hasn't happened in a very long time.

"We have to go back in 1993 to see this kind of weather in Ontario and Quebec," Alexandre Parent, a meteorologist with Environment Canada, told the outlet.

So Canadians better bundle up, since frostbite warnings are active across the country and meteorologists say the weather isn't going to ease up any time soon.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/28/canada-cold-weather_a_23319063/

Its news because Eastern/Central Canada so Ottawa, Toronto & Montreal is usually warmer as the temperature fluctuates around -10 ish. Where I live it averages -20 in Western Canada so its just another day.

Sheesh.. and here I thought it was super chill in my area of the states currently @ -11 C // 12 F :undecided:

Practically balmy compared to some of my Canadian Neighbors.

Sheesh.. and here I thought it was super chill in my area of the states currently @ -11 C // 12 F :undecided:

You should contact your friends in Minnesota , Alaska or Wyoming:D

and we call winter at min temp of 13 or 12 C in Karachi at night and max 35 to 30 average in Day. :lol:

wow we are lucky in that case too:happy:

You should contact your friends in Minnesota , Alaska or Wyoming:D

Brrrr I know it is very very cold in those States. Especially Alaska obviously.

Not quite as harsh here in Pennsylvania, but it's still unusually cold for sure. Brrrrrrr!!

and we call winter at min temp of 13 or 12 C in Karachi at night and max 35 to 30 average in Day. :lol:

wow we are lucky in that case too:happy:
Its 23 right now in Islamabad and will fall to 6C during the night the coldest day here is like max 7C and min -4 C :D

But you also have this so cant say much
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-deadly-heatwaves-as-result-of-climate-change

LOL. We call that "refreshing" in upstate NY. :D

It was -26 yesterday in Toronto. Its hovering around -20 now.

best part of having -26 yesterday is this morning when I went out I said Thank God its -12 and it actually felt very warm.

Friggin negative 20s, 30s and 40s... How can you people live like this? :)

Back
Top Bottom