What's new

Pakistan's Special Operations Forces: SSG | SSGN | SSW | SOW | SOG

No offence but in Pakistan we refer to rangers as Thiger (rubbish) force, stick to the army or if you are into law enforcement wait for the ATTF: Anti Terrorism task Force to be set up and apply for that via provincial police (bharti =recruitment will start soon).

ANF is also a good place to go, but if your hart is stuck in Rangers then yes you can go for officer role.

Regards

A bit of a correction here. If RR bro you referring the inspectors and other (i mean the 16 grade and below) as officers then it is OK, because the Officer(17 grade and above) only come from the Army, for both Rangers and FC.

A bit of a correction here. If RR bro you referring the inspectors and other (i mean the 16 grade and below) as officers then it is OK, because the Officer(17 grade and above) only come from the Army, for both Rangers and FC.

Good point Enigma. Not all officers are seconded. Usually the COs and 2ICs are Army officers as well as some NCO/JCO cadres from the Army, the rest are all recruited from the public stream.

Good point Enigma. Not all officers are seconded. Usually the COs and 2ICs are Army officers as well as some NCO/JCO cadres from the Army, the rest are all recruited from the public stream.

In short all the Command and Staff appointment in FC and Rangers are seconded from the Army. Rest are inducted via their own induction process.

What is the major training difference between army ssg and ranger’s commandos?

Humongous difference!

SSG/A trains primarily for special operations against another conventional Army. Their training is mostly around the stay-behind approach or infiltration to carry out intelligence and other special operations in support of the conventional Army units.

There are very many other things that SSG/A and SSG/N are involved in which the civilian counterparts in the Rangers or even the Police have no reason to get trained for. Also the training for SSG in the Army and Navy is almost 2-3 times longer than for the Commando training in Rangers and Police. There are multiple phases of training within the SSG/A and SSG/N due to the various roles they need to be proficient in.

I guess the only comparison that can be drawn between the SSG/A and the other units under Ministry of Interior like the Rangers and Police is the Counter Terrorism piece. SSG/A maintains the foremost capability in the Anti-Terrorism role and that is in the form of a dedicated SSG company. They have the experience, training and equipment suitable for this role.

Because the incidents of terrorism are becoming so common, now there is a need for having this type of CT capability within the provinces as part of either the Police or as RR has mentioned an "Anti terror task force". Maybe the idea is to have fully trained and equipped CT teams available in major areas of the country instead of relying on the SSG to send a team out to various areas from a central location (it is Tarbela but there were talks of moving the team out to Isb). The recent police operation against the militants has shown that they have the training and wherewithal to do this on their own and they should be supported in these efforts because this issue is becoming one of law enforcement and the Police needs to be at the forefront of it.

I think what Pakistan needs is indeed a CT task force which should not be part of the SSG. SSG should keep its focus on unconventional warfare against a conventional opponent. The CT capability within the SSG was established because there was no other pool of qualified and trained personnel. I think now the Police and others have this need and should be trained for such roles as CT is something closer to their profile than for a Special Operations unit of the Army like SSG.

The SSG should be pulled out from VVIP protection task and this role should be given to Police or the AT task force as an example.

The SSG should be pulled out from VVIP protection task and this role should be given to Police or the AT task force as an example.

Agreed in totality. The elite SSG is not there to act as bodyguards.

It is just like asking a Software Engineer to sell second hand PCs.

Well spotted brother. :)

Agreed in totality. The elite SSG is not there to act as bodyguards.

It is just like asking a Software Engineer to sell second hand PCs.

We have Zia-ul-Haq to thank for that. Its a pity that even Musharraf carried on with this. Nothing hurts the professional pride of a truly professional soldier more than being asked to stand guard for an individual (this is almost the same as being asked to do fatigue duties). Its a pity that some within the SSG are specifically trained for this role of close protection work. No less than the late founder of the SSG had requested the authorities to relieve the SSG from this absolutely bakvas job and so far nothing of this sort has happened.

It is essentially a status symbol for those in the corridors of power.

While providing CP for the Chief of the Army is absolutely fine, it should not be the job of the SSG to do the same for the President and the PM. It exposes a truly professional force to the workings of the politicians.

This is my single biggest qualm currently on the usage of SSG troops. I feel sorry for the poor chaps.

No offence but in Pakistan we refer to rangers as Thiger (rubbish) force, stick to the army or if you are into law enforcement wait for the ATTF: Anti Terrorism task Force to be set up and apply for that via provincial police (bharti =recruitment will start soon).

ANF is also a good place to go, but if your hart is stuck in Rangers then yes you can go for officer role.

Regards

I have to be in police or any other force first or I can go straight ATTF: Anti Terrorism task Force.

What is the highest rank as civilian recurrent in rangers and what grade?

We have Zia-ul-Haq to thank for that. Its a pity that even Musharraf carried on with this. Nothing hurts the professional pride of a truly professional soldier more than being asked to stand guard for an individual (this is almost the same as being asked to do fatigue duties). Its a pity that some within the SSG are specifically trained for this role of close protection work. No less than the late founder of the SSG had requested the authorities to relieve the SSG from this absolutely bakvas job and so far nothing of this sort has happened.

It is essentially a status symbol for those in the corridors of power.

While providing CP for the Chief of the Army is absolutely fine, it should not be the job of the SSG to do the same for the President and the PM. It exposes a truly professional force to the workings of the politicians.

This is my single biggest qualm currently on the usage of SSG troops. I feel sorry for the poor chaps.

Well i know someone who was a die hard for SSG but refrained from joininh it just because of the reason under discussion. (though he once came back from Cherat due to an injury but he didn't try again and blamed this bodyguard thing-though might not be actually willing to undergo the rigor again)

What is the highest rank as civilian recurrent in rangers and what grade?

i am not sure yet, but i;ll check it out.

For now you may see this:
http://www.********************/PakParamilitary/PakistanRangers.htm

Well i know someone who was a die hard for SSG but refrained from joininh it just because of the reason under discussion. (though he once came back from Cherat due to an injury but he didn't try again and blamed this bodyguard thing-though might not be actually willing to undergo the rigor again)

You mean this turned him off?
http://www.app.com.pk/photo/photo_lib/04-04-2009/c20448b8c52a4d463d761f893a962e9a.jpg

:tsk::tsk:

Do want to mention that not everyone has to do this. There is a specific component within the SSG that focuses on VVIP CP duties. If you are an officer you may get assigned to that team based on your training and previous experience (they run proper training for this role and don't just put anyone in this role). There is extensive background checking also. Also the % of those getting hurt during the selection training is fairly high.

A friend broke his leg during the selection process and never went back. You really need to want it to go back through the selection process again and again (getting clearance for another try is another issue as you get busy with other stuff in your unit etc.)

Last edited:
Agreed.Soldiers should not be used as security guard of Politicans.Police should handle the security.FOR COAS i think its fine as he is running the whole Army!

Back
Top Bottom