What's new

Pakistan's Special Operations Forces: SSG | SSGN | SSW | SOW | SOG

did you forget ? we got last flag of pakistan on dahaka from rail station master dahaka in 2005 ?

uuuf Brother, I did mean may be it was hunted and brought to West Pakistan before we lost East Pakistan in 1971, thats all.........

thanks for confirming but like I said, our guys that are selected from the SSG pool are not green recruits they are one of the leading members of this group which has very high standards itself.
the kind of drill and paces they were put through are the normal routine in SSG camps.

General Saab! I agree with you!

Foreign Soldiers who come to the US for Joint Training are never "Green". They are the best of what the country has to offer. Remember, the sending country always pays for the joint training. Would you send a "Green" or a socio-pathetic soldier?

And off the record - American Spec Ops aren't all they are shown to be. What America specifies as Spec Ops is different from what other countries classify theirs.

American Spec Ops, Tier 1, go in and out that's it. Their mission is very very very specific to: Kill this _______ (Person).

The closest thing America has to the Pak SSG, who do a variety of Spec Op missions, would be the US Army Rangers 75th. Who would be used as Light Infantry.

unfortunately an SSG veteran and currently an instructor begs to disagree. he is my childhood friend and has led assaults in Sawat and waziristan. if I see his picture here I will point him out.

he says that American courses are a waste of time for Pakistanis because they are blocked out of anything meaningful. any new tactics, equipment and techniques are kept off them and all these guys get is running around and bullshiiting ..

these guys who go there are not raw recruits and have spent time in special forces and are physically and mentally fit already and looking for something new which their country doesnt offer.

he says he selected the turkish special forces course and gave up the American rangers course where he was short-listed. he has done the Chinese course as well and says it best suits the Pakistanis because both countries fully share their special techniques and tactics.

if someone has a different opinion then let me know. yes you get a certificate in the end for completing an american course but it only consists of roughing up and running around and thats what they usually do in Pakistan and they dont need an American certification for that

Unless the training is related to a new weapon system or technology, in most cases it is fairly basic. The other thing with courses overseas is that they assume the participants have a very rudimentary knowledge of what is to be taught. The junior officers we send over are already well grounded on the basics so either its a review of what has already been learnt or a slightly different way of learning the same. What is more valuable is technical training. This is when we get the benefit of learning about new technology used to conduct operations etc.

The overall positive is that its good for officers to get exposure and learn how things are done overseas. The other thing is that training which is valuable for other armies in their formative years has very little use for armies with well structured training courses and centers of instruction. For some well established militaries, its worthwhile to send people for these courses because for them the element of interoperability is important. In Pakistan, interoperability with Americans is not a significant issue, however it is still good for officers to do foreign course.

There is good and bad. The war in Afghanistan has certainly cooled the relations and there is a propensity to hold back on sharing worthwhile information. The cancelation of the sale of the sniper rifles by a manufacturer in the United States to Pakistan is indicative of the perceptions. When the Americans come over to Pakistan, we have our concerns with that as well.

Last edited:
The closest thing America has to the Pak SSG, who do a variety of Spec Op missions, would be the US Army Rangers 75th. Who would be used as Light Infantry.
yup thats the one my friend was talking about 2 years ago, currently he is conducting operations so cant be reached . I just sent him good wishes via his family.

1493281_490989134347460_678509008_n.jpg
733836_489251201187920_620598503_n.jpg

As per my assessment these not SSG pictures

1st Picture:
The picture was used in the "Operator Challenge 2011" Website : Operator Challenge

2nd Picture:
There is no record of such camo being used in PA.

As per my assessment these not SSG pictures

1st Picture:
The picture was used in the "Operator Challenge 2011" Website : Operator Challenge

2nd Picture:
There is no record of such camo being used in PA.

The second picture is a simple ghillie suit, can be obtained easily and we've seen different and better ghillie suits being used by our snipers. The grass and the shrub in the background looks pretty typical of our environments, though.

The 75th Ranger Regiment is not a SOF group.

They are are just highly elite light infantry force assigned to SOCOM with the objective to conduct special operations in support of SOCOM missions.

The training is different because, from other Spec Ops, due to the different mission objective. Ranger School is a ball busting, humbling experience, course designed to strip you of your manhood. It is designed to mimic the stresses, a Ranger will see in combat. Through this, Ranger students learn the necessity of planning, execution, teamwork. Leaving no stone unturned, no leader is considered a leader unless he faces the same experiences of those enlisted. Leaders earn their place, it is never given. Ranger School is designed to stress individuals to their physical limits in its three weeks and to expose those who are unable to be team players under stressful situations.

Once a soldier has been selected, then the emphasis is to build upon that soldiers' physical fitness and qualifications that were screened in his application (GT score = general aptitude and intelligence, DLAB = language aptitude, etc.). The end state of SFQC and the follow on training is an operator capable of both detailed planning and the capability to interact on missions independent of higher command but within the intent and purpose of their mission.

So, I'd say that while the Rangers would fall in comfortably within the direct action spectrum of the Spec Ops mission, Spec Op teams cover much more ground in their FID, SR, UW, and CT missions. Follow-up training is regularly given to enhance the Ranger's unconventional skills required from them.

In other words, each American Spec Ops team is elite in their own rights. Each Spec Ops Tier, has different missions, although they share some of the spectrum of special operations.

What's the name of that book?

India's Special Forces: History and Future of Special Forces
By P C Katoch (Retd Indian Army), Saikat Datta

Untitled.png

And offcourse its not 100% accurate and subjected to his bias.....................

India's Special Forces: History and Future of Special Forces
By P C Katoch (Retd Indian Army), Saikat Datta

View attachment 13312

And offcourse its not 100% accurate and subjected to his bias.....................

Read a book by some retired indian military officer who was quoting SSGs selection process being better than indian MARCOS

I don't see how that page from his book validates the above though.

I don't see how that page from his book validates the above though.

And I quote, "Prehaps we could learn something from the selection process of foreign special forces. In the Special Services Group...."

And I quote, "Prehaps we could learn something from the selection process of foreign special forces. In the Special Services Group...."

But that doesn't mean that he thinks the SSG selection process is superior. How would he know?

But that doesn't mean that he thinks the SSG selection process is superior. How would he know?

That can be seen simply from the paragraph structure; first sentence of the para states that they can learn something from others and then the paragraph continues to describe the SSG selection process i.e. the others and their process. And if one can learn from the other's process then that means that the other's process is better, maybe not absolutely but there do exist elements which are better, according to the statement that is.

Back
Top Bottom