What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
bara weight hai bhai.... :D .....main issue with g3 was jamming at low temps....apart from that for battle groups, its a fine weapon....
Actually that's not jamming issue,that's more of a metallurgy flaw or design flaw,those who encountered that situation state that during low temps G3 would never achieve battery i.e it would fail to feed a fresh round from fresh magazine into cold chamber,rollers would fail to lock into recesses in the barrel extension.
For solving this problem let's have a closer look into working of G3A4.

The G3A3 (A4) is a selective-fire automatic weapon that employs a roller-delayed blowback operating system. The two-piece bolt assembly consists of a breech (bolt head) and bolt carrier. The bolt is held in battery by two sliding cylindrical rollers that engage locking recesses in the barrel extension. The breech is opened when both rollers are compressed inward against camming surfaces driven by the rearward pressure of the expanding gases upon the bolt head. As the rollers move inward, recoil energy is transferred to the locking piece and bolt carrier which begin to withdraw while the bolt head slowly moves rearward in relation to the bolt carrier. As the bolt carrier clears the rollers, pressure in the bore drops to a safe level, the bolt head is caught by the bolt carrier and moves to the rear as one unit, continuing the operating cycle. The bolt features an anti-bounce mechanism that prevents the bolt from bouncing off the barrel's breech surface. The "bolt head locking lever" is a spring-loaded claw mounted on the bolt carrier that grabs the bolt head as the bolt carrier group goes into battery. The lever essentially ratchets into place with friction, providing enough resistance to being re-opened that the bolt carrier does not rebound. The spring-powered claw extractor is also contained inside the bolt while the lever ejector is located inside the trigger housing (actuated by the recoiling bolt)
images%20(2).jpeg

That Barrel Extension is Trunnion.
images%20(3).jpeg
images%20(4).jpeg

What happens is actually during low temp,that Rollers won't fit into Barrel Extension a.k.a Trunnion.In my opinion that's more of a problem due to the fact that "When it is cold the kinetic energy decreases, so the atoms take up less space and the material contracts"
That problem never surfaces into rifles like Ak and AR,in which rotating bolt system lugs would lock into locking recesses machined into receiver or barrel extension because there is space left to compensate for weather changes because in these designs you have no need for fitting but in roller delayed blow back system fitting is needed for smooth operation.
Now we can assume two things.
1-Either it's a inherited design flaw
Or
2-Metal used has low weather tolerance when it comes to low temp.

This problem has 2 solution in field which i got from field operatives.
1-Chamber the round in day time because after 1st round is fired it would fire smoothly till cool down.
2-Place rifle into room with heater or sleep with your rifle in your sleeping bag.
Otherwise it is a reliable weapon in desert and plains.
At our end in Pakistan,if we are able to solve that metallurgy issue,rifle would be fine and fit.Remember that MG1A3 has same trununion in which locking is done but it has no problem.When that problem did aroused in siachen and else where instead of solving it we started fielding Type 56.

I see this as a pointless exercise now! We are now entering a new age of CT ammo and guns. Maybe it best to wait until those weapons and ammo become streamline and keep using G3/Type 56:angel:

gallery-1475091330-ctammo.jpg

Maybe better to join in hands with OEM's doing R&D and co-develop a system.

I see this as a pointless exercise now! We are now entering a new age of CT ammo and guns. Maybe it best to wait until those weapons and ammo become streamline and keep using G3/Type 56:angel:

Exactly the conclusion I reached a couple of months ago. Lets not adopt a 100 year old ammo. a 6.5 creedmoor derivative, with polymer casing would be fit for a rifle of the 21st century.

Last edited:

Exactly the conclusion I reached a couple of months ago. Lets not adopt a 100 year old ammo. a 6.5 creedmoor derivative, with polymer casing would be fit for a rifle of the 21st century.
That concept in form of G11 and caseless ammo came during 60's and H&K did developed both rifle and ammo,which never reached production level.

That concept in form of G11 and caseless ammo came during 60's and H&K did developed both rifle and ammo,which never reached production level.

Caseless is not practical yet. It breaks and cracks and is not rugged enough for military use.

aBSOLUTELY no

NOOOOO..... Absolutely NO to CT. You need a proven design.
My notes long back; stick with G3/T56+AK103. Put your own design in - use an existing design and work on it to adopt it.

aBSOLUTELY no

NOOOOO..... Absolutely NO to CT. You need a proven design.
My notes long back; stick with G3/T56+AK103. Put your own design in - use an existing design and work on it to adopt it.

I think after the rifle trials either a domestic design will qualify or partner with some OEM

G3M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z days are gone.
We should rather start focusing on growing our own weapon system in all categories.
1-Sub Machine Gun.
2-Carbine.
3-Assult Rifle.
4-Battle rifle.
5-Squad support weapon.
We can deveolp system with FN like plan in mind.
1-A system with common multi-caliber architecture that is highly modular and instantly adaptable to virtually any mission requirements,ambidextrous controls and system with very low logistics requirment.
It would take time but in the end,it would be able to save a ton of money.

Back
Top Bottom