What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
Debate of whether to use larger 7.62 x 51 round or smaller 5.56 x45 round has been going around in among the NATO forces for a long time along with the argument of semi-automatic versus fully automatic.

I admit that I have only fired bolt action rifles on the occasional deer shoot in Scotland because UK licensing laws don’t allow self-loading firearms for private use. Therefore I am only speaking with second hand references. However I had been member of the RAC club at Pell Mell for many years where I came across quite a few retired British Army & Navy Officers.

During the Falkland war, UK Military was using LIA1 SLR (FN FAL) semi-automatic rifle with the standard NATO 7.62 x 51 rounds. When I inquired as to why they did not use fully automatic version; it was explained to me that the semi-automatic setting is plenty fast and you have total control of the weapon; actual difference between emptying 20 round L1A1 rifle on semi-automatic or fully automatic mode being only about 4 seconds.

Additionally, on full automatic mode, large round of say 7.62 calibre tends the rifle muzzle to move upwards and therefore causes wastage of ammunition. Standard UK Army issue was ‘semi-automatic’ because of its accuracy and less wastage. However there is no denying that on short-range (less than 50 meters) and when ambushed by the enemy, automatic fire is needed. That is why most modern military rifles have built-in semi as well as fully auto option. In my view, both the 7.62 x 51 and 7.62 x 39 firing rifles would suffer from the same problem. Hence there is little to choose between the two calibres.

Understandably, for a soldier in the middle of a fire fight “not” running out of ammunition is extremely important. Disadvantage of being on full auto is that most soldiers don't aim; they just spray bullets all over the place and run out of ammunition sooner.

In addition to having lesser ‘kick’; smaller 5.56 calibre bullets have the big advantage of being lighter and therefore a soldier can carry more of them. In this case it is a choice between ensuring that the enemy is sufficiently incapacitated after being hit by a single bullet that he is not to able to fire back and being able to carry more ammo.

Even though I have firm belief that Pak Army ammo experts know best; I am glad that they are keeping the 7.62 round. Because I have seen the effects of a 7 mm bullet on the deer at the distance of 70 – 80 meters and I would go for a 7.62 round especially over the hilly terrain or on sandy flats.

Everything was calculated before starting trials. Sir we knew about the costs. And I have checked with the friend BREN is not going to replace G3 it would be either SCAR or Berreta @Path-Finder
please name the source!!! your source said there was no x51 CZ but as it appears it may have been tested
15230777_10206394913266564_3285617598718041152_n.jpg

care to read the chart Hazrat @Zarvan

T
wow, times have changed in just 3 years.....

but i doubt we have the ones with good imaging quality, such as those on helicopters and planes used from miles away.
this is about all u gotta get out of him, nice try...

T

this is about all u gotta get out of him, nice try...

What about?

My interest shifted from defence politics to something else as I grew up.
So obviously lack of knowledge on my part regards to new things will be there :)

Honestly, Pakistani modified Type-56 were very effective, reliable and not costly - I don't see why we have to replace them.

F-16s are also good, nimble and reliable, but in the end it's an older platform and has served its time even though it fires the same weapons as F-22!

Germ
Germany Government is creating lot of problems for HK and other companies when they sell weapons to Muslim countries that is why they were avoided
Fyi germany just handed over a couple of subs to egypt..

These are imaginary sources. Dreams to be precise !!
No they are not imaginary in fact one of the source is MOD of this forum and he has clearly stated that BREN is not competing to replace G3 for G3 replacement Rifles are SCAR H and Berreta ARX 200

Last edited:
Argentina's Fabricas Militares licensed to manufacture Beretta ARX-200, PX4 weapons

Gabriel Porfilio, Orlando - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
12 December 2016

Argentina's Fabricas Militares has signed an agreement with Italian weapon manufacturer Beretta to locally produce the ARX-200 automatic rifle and the PX4 pistol, Argentine Defence Ministry Secretary of Science, Technology, and Production Hector Lostri announced on 9 December.

The local company is in the process of being certified by its Italian counterpart to start production. It is expected that these weapons will primarily be manufactured to replace the ageing FAL and Browning GP-35s that were also locally produced decades ago.

To read the full article, Client Login
(103 of 166 words)

Argentina's Fabricas Militares licensed to manufacture Beretta ARX-200, PX4 weapons | IHS Jane's 360

Bren not only have a terrific product, but their willingness to compromise on price and production has given them the edge.

FN were the leaders but price and excessive "rule" on licence production messed them up.

Bren if they win the tender are also promising long term relationship in upgrades and new systems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom