What's new

Pakistan’s PL-15 Missile Equipped JF-17 Block 3 is a Serious Game Changer - How India Can Respond to

Baseless article basedte on comments of usless Russian lobbyist Vijander Thakur.

Fortunately he is wrong as PL-15 is much inferior to Meteor, PL-15 is regarded as comparable to AIM-120D (Meteor is 2 times superior to AIM-120D in every engagement envelope).

More importantly PL-15 is fitted with dual pulse motor which is a much older tech compared to Meteor's Ramjet engine, which is why Meteor's No escape zone is a whopping 60-70 km & that of AIM-120C is only 25 km & for AIM-120D 35 km (same as PL-15).
Thanks to ramjet, Meteor is the only operational air to air missile in the entire known universe that is capable of terminal stage manuevers.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/pl-15.htm

He never said that.
What he said that is we need more than 36 Rafale or equivalent jets and the long range engagement capabilty of Rafale must also be possesed by other jets, which is why IAF has begun induction of Astras for Su-30, MiG-29 and Tejas.

Meteor is superior to PL-15E in every single aspect

Well no, we have no data that indicates that but it probably is somewhat better than the PL-15E. However as the comment i was referring to was talking about the R-77 series, there is nothing from that family that will get close to the PL-15

PL-15 is as good as not permitted to fire SD-10 and un-done H4 fire.

On 27th February, world witnessed that Pakistan have the capacity to tame InAF, without PL-15, but than they did not go for the kill. :secret:

PAF's weakness lies in Banigala, not in BVR quality.
Hmmmm can either of us afford full scale war.

The range of PL-15 is longer than that of AIM-120D.
And the range of PL-1X can reach 700km.

View attachment 624549
Is there any water for your claims?

Not counting the Mirages & Mig-29s, IAF has about 260 Su-30 Mk1 against PAF fewer than 80 F-16s. In my humble opinion; JF-17 Block 3 is in response to IAF’s overwhelming superiority in the numbers of BVR capable fighters. How many Block 3 Thunders are planned? Even if PAF acquires 100 block-3 Thunders, we would still be numerically inferior.

Acquisition of 2 squadrons of Rafael, a fighter superior to F-16 Block 52 as well as the latest JF-17, gives IAF an edge over PAF. Mica BVR missile carried by Rafael is as capable as the PL-18 and the USA BVR missiles. Understand India is also getting the delivery of 'Meteor' BVR missile in May.

India has no need to respond. We underestimate IAF capabilities at our peril.

Not counting the Mirages & Mig-29s, IAF has about 260 Su-30 Mk1 against PAF fewer than 80 F-16s. In my humble opinion; JF-17 Block 3 is in response to IAF’s overwhelming superiority in the numbers of BVR capable fighters. How many Block 3 Thunders are planned? Even if PAF acquires 100 block-3 Thunders, we would still be numerically inferior.

Acquisition of 2 squadrons of Rafael, a fighter superior to F-16 Block 52 as well as the latest JF-17, gives IAF an edge over PAF. Mica BVR missile carried by Rafael is as capable as the PL-18 and the USA BVR missiles. Understand India is also getting the delivery of 'Meteor' BVR missile in May.

India has no need to respond. We underestimate IAF capabilities at our peril.

I do not think PAF plans to engage with IAF in a quantitative arms competition. Holding all things constant, it's virtually not possible to do so. We would remain numerically inferior for the foreseeable future. Block-III is a qualitative development of a platform designed to provide quantitative strength. 100 units of Block-III should be ideal but I expect we would have to do with around 40 units (50 units if we can stretch it) in the midterm acquisition (minimum of 6 to 7 years). These are just guesstimations though.

Weapon systems are where PAF needs to continue to focus and improve upon. Chinese BVR & WVR have improved but lack of improved Western counterpoise to Meteor and alternative to AMRAAM could still cause an itch. Perhaps PAF/PAC could consider a joint venture with Italy and South Africa, @Bilal Khan (Quwa)???

Last edited:
I do not thin PAF plans to engage with IAF in a quantitative arms competition. Holding all things constant, it's virtually not possible to do so. We would remain numerically inferior for the foreseeable future. Block-III is a qualitative development of a platform designed to provide quantitative strength. 100 units of Block-III should be ideal but I expect we would have to do with around 40 units (50 units if we can stretch it) in the midterm acquisition (minimum of 6 to 7 years). These are just guesstimations though.

Weapon systems are where PAF needs to continue to focus and improve upon. Chinese BVR & WVR have improved but lack of improved Western counterpoise to Meteor and alternative to AMRAAM could still cause an itch. Perhaps PAF/PAC could consider a joint venture with Italy and South Africa, @Bilal Khan (Quwa)???

Agreed. .My point remains that JF-17 Block 3 armed with PL-18 is, in fact, PAF’s attempt to counter the threat from IAF’s BVR capable fighters. IAF has no need for any response. I was questioning the title of the thread:

Pakistan’s PL-15 Missile Equipped JF-17 Block 3 is a Serious Game Changer - How India Can Respond to".

Agreed. .My point remains that JF-17 Block 3 armed with PL-18 is, in fact, PAF’s attempt to counter the threat from IAF’s BVR capable fighters. IAF has no need for any response. I was questioning the title of the thread:

Pakistan’s PL-15 Missile Equipped JF-17 Block 3 is a Serious Game Changer - How India Can Respond to".

Title is correct in a sense that Indian Military wants complete superiority against Pakistan but the arrival of PL-15 balances out Meteor.

Title is correct in a sense that Indian Military wants complete superiority against Pakistan but the arrival of PL-15 balances out Meteor.

You are just thinking one side of affairs.

You need to look at Indian response with current fleet only.. India will surely gonna to purchase higher range missiles from Russia. Approx 150-200 km

Mig 29 upg, mig 29k and su 30 mki will be equipped.

Meteor missile is a just different class so I m not counting.

Recently, India purchased missiles with range between 100-120 km from Russia.

Any Pakistani fighter plane is threat to india including Chengdu J-7 but jf 17 do not give technical advantage to Pakistan over IAF

It doesn't work like that. Assuming that every PAF fighter type should give technical advantage to PAF over every Indian fighter type is absurd and foolish. Let me tell you what islt was supposed to offer and do offer. Jf17 block 1 and 2 give PAF technical advantage over your Mig21 ,jagwars and counter Tejas. That is 219 fighters today and some 300 around 2027-28 when you induct more tejas. JF17 block 3 offer advantage over MK1 of Tejas and compete SU29 and Su30. That is another 338+ Indian fleet. So you see, different blocks of JF17 give PAF advantage over and competition level of some 638+ Indian Airforce jets. Only Trump card here is RAFAEL.

Only one limitation to this argument is the number of JF17 PAF procure. But then it's not like one nice morning some 700+ Indian jets will attack Pakistan simultaneously.

So you pilots shot down, and one of them paraded in front of the whole world and then released at Wagah border with utter humiliation is not enough for you people, and you now want the Chinese to bang you!! Shame has no meaning for you guys! :omghaha:

Pakistan laughed when it banged India hard in air shooting down 2 jets, the World laughed at India, when it was getting banged by parading PoW Indian pilot with blind folded eyes, beaten like a crap dog, the world and Pakistan kept laughing at the silly Indian covering up lies after lies, India is a shit crap power comparable to Afghanistan in the eyes of World now. India desperately now wants to get banged by China since it is unable to face Pakistan now again. @Raj-Hindustani

Jf 17 is no worries for India...

Half Tejas Mk1a is more then enough to deal with..
Just need to more focus on Astra AA missile with range approx 150-200 km.

We have bigger challenges from China because they have sufficient number of advanced fighter planes..

Astra MK1 is already close to 100 km range will be put into mass production,
Astra Mk2 is in development and will push the range up to 150 kms Might take couple of years

Astra SFDR is in initial development ground test of ramjet is in progress this missile will be similar to Meteor but will take 5 years at least

It doesn't work like that. Assuming that every PAF fighter type should give technical advantage to PAF over every Indian fighter type is absurd and foolish. Let me tell you what islt was supposed to offer and do offer. Jf17 block 1 and 2 give PAF technical advantage over your Mig21 ,jagwars and counter Tejas. That is 219 fighters today and some 300 around 2027-28 when you induct more tejas. JF17 block 3 offer advantage over MK1 of Tejas and compete SU29 and Su30. That is another 338+ Indian fleet. So you see, different blocks of JF17 give PAF advantage over and competition level of some 638+ Indian Airforce jets. Only Trump card here ispossimet

Only one limitation to this argument is the number of JF17 PAF procure. But then it's not like one nice morning some 700+ Indian jets will attack Pakistan simultaneously.

You have logical points...but still there is could be with question marks.

Is better then su 30mki? Very doubtful... Even you don't know true capability of block 3.

After 5 years, situation will surely gonna to change. Since, you are just taking about
PAF then me give possible response from IAF..

1. Su 30 mki and mig 29 UPG with R77 M ( range 197 km).
2. Upgraded Mirage 2000 with meteor missiles (more likely)
3. Rafale with meteor missiles
4. Half Tejas mk1a - 80 planes with Astra --2 ( range 150-200) missiles from 2025
So, I don't find any advantage of PAF over IAF.

Pakistan laughed when it banged India hard in air shooting down 2 jets, the World laughed at India, when it was getting banged by parading PoW Indian pilot with blind folded eyes, beaten like a crap dog, the world and Pakistan kept laughing at the silly Indian covering up lies after lies, India is a shit crap power comparable to Afghanistan in the eyes of World now. India desperately now wants to get banged by China since it is unable to face Pakistan now again. @Raj-Hindustani
The world also laugh when you claim to shoot down a Su 30 mki.

Last edited:
It doesn't work like that. Assuming that every PAF fighter type should give technical advantage to PAF over every Indian fighter type is absurd and foolish. Let me tell you what islt was supposed to offer and do offer. Jf17 block 1 and 2 give PAF technical advantage over your Mig21 ,jagwars and counter Tejas. That is 219 fighters today and some 300 around 2027-28 when you induct more tejas. JF17 block 3 offer advantage over MK1 of Tejas and compete SU29 and Su30. That is another 338+ Indian fleet. So you see, different blocks of JF17 give PAF advantage over and competition level of some 638+ Indian Airforce jets. Only Trump card here is RAFAEL.

Even if india has 700 jets it wont risk sending more than 300 of its 4 or 4 + gen jets in one front. It has to keep eye on china too

Even if india has 700 jets it wont risk sending more than 300 of its 4 or 4 + gen jets in one front. It has to keep eye on china too

No, actually not!

Chinese will never get direct involve between India and Pakistan war.

If China will get involve then other players will also get involve as well. However, it totally depends on that time and scenarios but more then 90 % chance is that they will never mess up between India and Pakistan war.

Back
Top Bottom