What's new

Pakistan's Nuclear Submarine Development | News and Discussions

Pakistan has decided to build nuclear submarine

Pakistan has decided to build nuclear submarine for Pakistan Navy to

better meet its defense requirements.

The nuclear submarine would be build in the country.

It would take anywhere from 5 to 8 years to build the nuclear submarine after which Pakistan would join the list of countries that has a nuclear submarine.
Presently Pakistan has a fleet of five regular submarines.

ARY NEWS Leading News Portal of Pakistan (Urdu - English), Watch Live ARY News,3/2/2012 7:13:18 PM

Pakistani Navy to Develop Nuclear-Powered Submarines: ReportsFeb. 11, 2012 - 01:11PM | By USMAN ANSARI | Comments

ISLAMABAD — Media reports on Feb. 11 state the Pakistan Navy intends to build nuclear-powered submarines as a matter of priority.

No sources were quoted in the reports, which indicated the first submarine would be operational in five to eight years.

When contacted by Defense News, a spokesman for the Pakistani Navy said he could not comment as to the veracity of the reports.

Mansoor Ahmed, a lecturer at Islamabad’s Quaid-e-Azam University who specializes in nonconventional weapons and missiles, believes the reports are the result of a calculated leak by the Navy, and that a message may be being sent to India.

“This news … appears to be some kind of signaling to the Indians seeing as they are taking delivery of a new nuclear-powered submarine from the Russians as well as their own Arihant Class SSBN,” he said.

“So Pakistan is signaling to the Indians that they are mindful of these developments and taking due measures in response.”

Ahmed said he has for some time believed Pakistan was working on a nuclear propulsion system for submarine applications and that Pakistan already has a functional submarine launched variant of the Babur cruise missile.

The Babur cruise missile is very similar to the U.S. BGM-109 Tomahawk, and perhaps derives at least some technology from Tomahawks which crashed in Pakistan during U.S. strikes on al-Qaida training camps in Afghanistan in 1998. It can be armed with conventional or nuclear warheads.

Ahmed believes Pakistan is now gearing up to build its own SSN/SSGN flotilla as a way of deterring India and maintaining the strategic balance in South Asia.

However, in the long term in order to fully ensure the credibility of its deterrent Ahmed said he believes Pakistan should build ballistic missile submarines.
Pakistani Navy to Develop Nuclear-Powered Submarines: Reports | Defense News | defensenews.com

Nothing can remain underwater indefinitely. Human endurance is very definite. Rations and other supplies needed to support human life abroad submarines have a short shelf life and need to be resupplied frequently.
Agreed! But each of my friend's patrols was between 90 days and 105 days in length submerged. UNTIL THEY RAN OUT OF TOILET PAPER!! Jeeez!
pumpkin-008.gif

But seriously, that's more than enough time to hide and then launch a surprise attack at a time and place of one's choosing! :azn:

well i dont know why indians are crying so much their well being for our country is so heart touching:p:P:p:P a nuclear submarine built by us is the best thing we ever did our naval defence mostly revolves around submarines so building one at home will give us the ability to make the core of our naval defence ourselves and on top of it all it gives uc second strike capability too :yahoo:

The statement may be a self-Morale one.. as I dont see the need for a Nuclear Submarine for Pakistan.
Unless the idea is to have one permanently(or in tense times) on station somewhere off the Indian east coast.
A very expensive proposition indeed.

Similar tasks can be accomplished by larger diesel electrics of the sort the Qing class is..
with acceptable efficiency.

Agreed! But each of my friend's patrols was between 90 days and 105 days in length submerged. UNTIL THEY RAN OUT OF TOILET PAPER!! Jeeez!

But seriously, that's more than enough time to hide and then launch a surprise attack at a time and place of one's choosing!

that is exactly what we want to go for submarines are the core of our defence in our small sea built a submarine is the best option and if we built and nuclear to boot i think thats a decent add to our defence and will boost our navy big time

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

as I dont see the need for a Nuclear Submarine for Pakistan.

well we are making our own submarines which will give our defence boost and give us self reliance and with nuclear we can have a very good second strike capability

well i dont know why indians are crying so much their well being for our country is so heart touching:p:P:p:P a nuclear submarine built by us is the best thing we ever did our naval defence mostly revolves around submarines so building one at home will give us the ability to make the core of our naval defence ourselves and on top of it all it gives uc second strike capability too :yahoo:

bro there are many sensible Indian posters here too they contribute positively , so lets avoid flame posts goes for both sides

From where did you deduce that Pakistan has zero know how regarding subs when we had ToT with our Agosta class purchase ? :azn: ... As for the infrastructure , KSEW is more than capable of handling this project ... Our expertise in nuclear technologies is no secret , we have tested warheads to fit on a Tactical Level Missile like Nasr and as per Musharraf , we were working on nuclear submarines since 2003 so i dont understand why we cant get it ?
Having the technology of the sub and building one are two very different things, mate.
So are building a nuclear warhead and a nuclear reactor. I am not saying you cannot. I am just saying that you highly inexperienced, have very little if any[okay not zero] knowledge on building a sub.
It'll be a very expensive and long journey to a sea based nuclear detterent [ ofcourse only without China] which is not really required anyway.

few dude read the last 5 pages if imran khan had not intervened it would have become a troll fest ;) nothing but i still say its a major defence boost and a need for our navy we need submarines in our naval force and if we get self reliance in it then our core of our defence will be under our control making it nuclear will just help us second strike capability and for that i think we also need our naval version of babur

a nuclear warhead and a nuclear reactor

so you mean we cant build a reactor but have a nuclear warhead come on yaar how is one possible without the other and i dont think we are that inexperienced in submarines well lets see in a few years same was said with missiles nuclears but we did them we can do this too

so you mean we cant build a reactor but have a nuclear warhead come on yaar how is one possible without the other and i dont think we are that inexperienced in submarines well lets see in a few years same was said with missiles nuclears but we did them we can do this too
Can it be fitted on submarine?

Having the technology of the sub and building one is are two very different thing, mate.
So are building a nuclear warhead and a nuclear reactor. I am not saying you cannot. I am just saying that you highly inexperienced, have very little if any[okay not zero] knowledge on building a sub.
It'll be a very expensive and long journey to a sea based nuclear detterent [ ofcourse only without China] which is not really required anyway.

We are not at all inexp when it comes to building a nuclear reactor .. our issue is fabrication.
We have to send our personnel elsewhere .. "rent" equipment.. to build stuff.
But there really is no need for a nuclear based vehicle to deliver our warheads via the sea.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Can it be fitted on submarine?

Did we build one specifically for that purpose?
NO.
Unless there is a demand there is no need to do it.
You dont build an apollo rocket if you have no plans to go to the moon.

We are not at all inexp when it comes to building a nuclear reactor .. our issue is fabrication.
We have to send our personnel elsewhere .. "rent" equipment.. to build stuff.
But there really is no need for a nuclear based vehicle to deliver our warheads via the sea.
Exactly [not really exactly] my point.

Did we build one specifically for that purpose?
NO.
Unless there is a demand there is no need to do it.
You dont build an apollo rocket if you have no plans to go to the moon.
Which once again proves my point.
You have never built a nuclear reactor for a submarine or a submarine itself let alone a nuclear powered one. Though your friend China has, and I'm sure if need be, it would willingly share such technology with Pakistan.

Exactly [not really exactly] my point.

Which once again proves my point.
You have never built a nuclear reactor for a submarine or a submarine itself let alone a nuclear powered one. Though your friend China has, and I'm sure if need be, it would willingly share such technology with Pakistan.

Exactly.. we see a reactor China has.. if we see any place for improvement.. we add in.
and use it.
Save us the trouble of reinventing the wheel..

pumpkin-008.gif

But seriously, that's more than enough time to hide and then launch a surprise attack at a time and place of one's choosing! :azn:
Dude, any indo-Pak future can not last such long.
It will a a matter of two three days when the whole world will jump in to this mess and stop both sides from doing any suicidal blunder.
90 or 120 days underwater submerged mission of nuclear subs will be of no use.

Back
Top Bottom