What's new

Pakistan's Internet censorship

till whn will u wait for Allah to do smthn...?
whn will WE stand on our own and fight bck...
dre is sm responsibility on us also...

Daily pageviews per user for facebook.com:

Pageviews/User Change
Yesterday 14.26000 +0.3%
7 day 14.46000 -2.5%
1 month 14.90000 -4.61%
3 month 15.43000 +0.65%

graph

Visitors by Country for Facebook.com

Country

Percent of Site Traffic

United States Flag United States

28.4%

India Flag India

5.1%

France Flag France

4.7%

Italy Flag Italy

4.3%

United Kingdom Flag United Kingdom

4.3%

Germany Flag Germany

3.9%

Indonesia Flag Indonesia

3.0%

Canada Flag Canada

2.7%

Mexico Flag Mexico

2.6%

Spain Flag Spain

2.4%

Germany Flag Germany

3.9%

Indonesia Flag Indonesia

3.0%

Canada Flag Canada

2.7%

Mexico Flag Mexico

2.6%

Spain Flag Spain

2.4%

Turkey Flag Turkey

2.2%

Australia Flag Australia

1.6%

Argentina Flag Argentina

1.4%

Pakistan Flag Pakistan

1.3%

Philippines Flag Philippines

1.1%

Malaysia Flag Malaysia

1.1%

South Africa Flag South Africa

1.1%

Egypt Flag Egypt

1.0%

Venezuela Flag Venezuela

1.0%

Taiwan Flag Taiwan

1.0%

Greece Flag Greece

0.9%

Thailand Flag Thailand

0.9%

Colombia Flag Colombia

0.9%

Hong Kong Flag Hong Kong

0.8%

Belgium Flag Belgium

0.8%

Saudi Arabia Flag Saudi Arabia

0.7%

Austria Flag Austria

0.7%

Japan Flag Japan

0.7%

Sweden Flag Sweden

0.7%

Chile Flag Chile

0.7%

Netherlands Flag Netherlands

0.6%

Singapore Flag Singapore

0.6%

Poland Flag Poland

0.6%

Brazil Flag Brazil

0.6%

Switzerland Flag Switzerland

0.6%

Bangladesh Flag Bangladesh

0.6%

Nigeria Flag Nigeria

0.6%

Czech Republic Flag Czech Republic

0.5%

Russia Flag Russia

0.5%

Norway Flag Norway

0.5%

OTHER Flag OTHER

12.5%

Facebook.com - Site Info from Alexa

& if we protest more & more & add fuel to fire, they will do it more & more

My opinion

What i remember is that Norway currency went down from 9.65 rps to 9.15 rps in just a week after the publication of cartoons, had the Muslims continued their protest results would have been different but alas we started burning our own property and every thing was .....

Now government has taken a good step in order to calm down Pakistanis, other wise we would have been today discussing property loss in some protests.

Allama Iqbal says in Jawab-e-Shikwa

Kis Qadar tum pe Gira(n) Subha ki bedari hai
Hum se kab pyaar hai tumhain HAAN neend tumhain pyaari hai
Tab'a Azaad pe qaid-e-Ramzan bhaari hai
Tumhin keh do yehi aayen-e-Wafa Daari hai?
Its always good to read the opinions of our dear friends. If someone comes to you and slap you will react. You will not say its a freedom of expression. If someone post the nude pictures of your sisters/daughters on the facebook or Newspapers you will react you will not say its a freedom of expression. But when it comes to the Prophet that you alledge to LOVE before your parents (a requirement to be a Believer/Muslim). When it comes to him - We agree IGNORING is the way to tackle with them

The whole world has gone nuts :lol: we are standing in such a position where all Pakistanis are confused, they don't know what to do :lol:

Just let everybody do their job. Those who think ignoring is the best way to go - Go ahead

Those who think Prophet is the most dearest person to them and they cannot see blashphemy/defamation of our Prophet. Let them burn their blood in the 40 Degrees of Hot summer in the streets of Pakistan. Let them sweat for nothing

Let them also express freedom of their expression just like these Facebook wankers are getting freedom of expression. Unfortunately our Scholars are missing the show once again when it came to guide peoples what to do. I am yet to see an opinion of the scholars on this issue (except Mufti Muneeb)

Now for god sake close all FB related topics from :pdf: Lets start living a normal life once again - Its been 3-4 days now i am yet to see any sensible post from anybody. All are bloody emotionals in the name of religion or secularism. Just ban all FB related discussion for a day

You will feel better - i assure you that

Here is what the cartoonist who inspired this page has to say about this whole episode.

I did NOT ‘declare’ May 20 to be “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day.” I made a cartoon about the television show South Park being censored. (I wish that was what our energies were going toward — protesting revolutionmuslim.com’s threat to Comedy Central, and Comedy Central’s over reaction to it which set America on a slippery slope toward censorship!)

At any rate, my satirical poster, with a fake ‘group’ behind it (Citizens Against Citizens Against Humor) was taken seriously, hijacked and made viral.

I never started a facebook page; I never set up any place for pepole to send drawings to and I never recieved any drawings (I see that two European graduate students and anotherwoman started the facebook pages).

My one-off cartoon does not work well as a long-term plan. The vitriol this ‘day’ has brought out, of people who only want to draw obscene images, is offensive to Muslims who did nothing to endanger our right to expression in the first place. Only Viacom and Revolution Muslim are to blame, so…draw them instead!

I apologize to people of Muslim faith and ask that this ‘day’ be called off.

Thank you to those who are turning this crazy thing into an opportunity for dialogue.

Oh, and screw all of you who are mad at me for not leading a ‘movement’. My cartoon was the beginning and end of what I had to say about this creepy, historic censorship. (By the way, where is Cowardly Central now? Pretty dang quiet. Guess they can dish it out but can’t take it.)

Sincerely,
Molly

P.S. The nicest email I have received have been from Muslims.

(I regret going on the Dave Ross radio show on April 25th, before my cartoon went viral; my ego took me there. It was a mistake to go there when I wasn’t clear about things. I let myself get side-swiped. Crap!)

keep posting it,,,,,

You are maligning your own religion,, good work.

What can one expect from super duper liberals like you.!!!!!

your blaming the wrong person you didn't seem to consider the actual content of those pics rather just blamed the messenger who is really maligning islam it's the people who are in these pics aren't they it's the source of the pics the people screaming and calling for murder infront the media not the person who posted them.Be angry at them not the messenger

SHUT UP MO***..the pages and video r still thr..am also looking it out of curiosity..i think people r giving too much publicity..lets forget that and let it buried under the millions of web crap !!

am being banned for saying Shut up moUTH..what offence here ? MODERATOR PLEASE Give me back my id>>>i still love PDF :smitten:

Best to forgive em and move on, I just hope a fatwa or jihad is not announced by someone soon, LOL.

till whn will u wait for Allah to do smthn...?
whn will WE stand on our own and fight bck...
dre is sm responsibility on us also...

Why, you don't have faith in Allah? If He deems it necessary to strike Lars Vilks by lightning, then He will do so.

You are supposed to improve YOUR lot on your own. Not set fire to buildings and ban websites because someone - who, by the way, is unconnected with the building and the website - said something nasty or unacceptable to you.

I in an Islamic government or Millat it is up to the government to make sure that Islam is followed in a right way. Now we in Pakistan are a secular state and believe me I am proud of it and will defend Pakistan secularism. Now alcohol ought to be totally banned because all Muslims agree that alcohol is totally haram and I think if we were to ban it it would be no problem. Now their are also some other things we can bann such as sexual material, because I think no Pakistani wants their knids watching sexual behavior. In youtubes case I think the people would actually support a move of banning youtube because it was being used to advocate un-Islamic stuff. Now if someone doesn't like these steps too bad or try and get to Parliament and have things done the way they want it to be done.

so what about freedom ? Does everyone have to share your opinion ? the world is moving forward now, so you either move with it or perish. Such censorship will only make matters worse in Pakistan. Youtube and Facebook are one of the most important means of mass communications nowdays and by banning them Pakistan will only hurt itself. Dont follow the Chinese model as its hardly acceptable, Pakistan in the 70s was known for its more liberal mindset and that is what Pakistan must do. Plunging itself into censoring everything that goes against it will only hurt Pakistan in the long run. I hope these bans are lifted soon.

^^ Everyone is accessing FB & YouTube in Pakistan... proxies and workarounds are super easy, and not all ISPs seem to have implemented the instructions the way they were supposed to.

The net-net is that this is not a matter that the government needs to jump into. I have a feeling they did this to defuse the tension caused by some ill-advised right wing types. The bans will go away in days...

Best to forgive em and move on, I just hope a fatwa or jihad is not announced by someone soon, LOL.

no need for a fatwa.

In past (As in the case of Sultan Noor ud Din Zaki) we all know what happened with those idiots :azn:

facebook and youtube are banned in Pakistan anyways, its moot point

these 60,000+ people (yes, i checked the group) are clearly just trying to incite anger and hatred, and a REACTION

ignoring or countering them is best way, as is silent protest. It's a huge loss for facebook if they lose viewership from a reasonably large Islamic country like Pakistan -- or any other country for that matter

not really infact Facebook will enjoy this, free publicity never hurts, just the fact that Facebook hasnt banned that page and continues to keep a quiet on this whole matter shows how much they care. Pakistan does not fall into the major FB or twitter zones anyways. FB will probably attract more people because of this whole episode.

Back
Top Bottom