What's new

Pakistan's Internet censorship

Salaams

Suppose Sheesha was one of the greastest inventions of all times. Whats wrong is wrong and should be removed so it doesn't poison the public's mind. (By the way there should be an international ban on drugs such as Sheesha and cigarettes; all intoxicants...but this is getting offtopic.)

The point is...; obviously if Youtube was getting obscence and dirty then I have to agree with the notion of banning it. :tup:

But, whatever... whats done is done...Personally I think it was a good move...

Allah Hafiz

Dear Mustapha,

Carry on that path and you can ban the below too

BAN BEDS BECAUSE THEY LEAD TO SEX AND ADULTRY.
BAN TV'S BECAUSE THEY GIVE YOU WEAK EYESIGHT.
BAN MOBILES BECAUSE THEY MAY FRY YOUR BRAINS.
BAN DANCING BECAUSE THEY GIVE YOU A BAD BACK.

There are lot more but the humor may be lost on you. I am sure a religion followed by a billion people can weather a storm from a computer program and a few idiots who misuse it to further hate.

Regards

Salaams,

Precisely...I will have to agree we do have to preserve our culture, heritage, and ways of thinking. I mean in this part of the world where people are conservative, foreigners have to respect the fact that this is not USA, or Netherlands and/or Thailand. People need to recognize the regional and people's sensitivities.

Allah Hafiz

Dear Mustapha and Mujahideen,

Why not ban internet which you are using to communicate on this forum ? After all its full of **** and you don't even have to try very hard to find it ?

Why this hippocracy ? If you don't like something don't visit it ?

Also while you are it care to explain why so many Pakistanis travel legally and illegally to the US, UK and Europe the land of short skirts and in your words free sex society ?

Are they less Islamic than you ?

Regards

YouTube hasn't deleted any video. The PTA only said that to make themselves look less stupid.

The documentary "submission" is still there and the new Dutch documentary about to be released in March will be uploaded on YouTube.

Sociopolitical aftermath makes unilateral moves of this kind worthless. First, it gives the ultra conservative and radicals the false hope that the nation will institute federal policies to protect the sanctity of Islam. But then the government capitulates because of other pressures (mostly external) which ends up making everybody unhappy. They get heat from the right for not having the guts to stick with a decision while the world looks upon Pakistan as a banana republic.

It's best not to mess with this at all. The agitation results ends up inflicting far more damage than the original culprit.

YouTube hasn't deleted any video. The PTA only said that to make themselves look less stupid.

The documentary "submission" is still there and the new Dutch documentary about to be released in March will be uploaded on YouTube.

May be you might be able to view it but people in Pakistan might not. Some things can be censored in one part of the world while other watch it.

Apparently the reason for the ban was to prevent a hardliner backlash. In which case, I completely agree with the ban

"Mr Riar said the decision to block YouTube in Pakistan was taken at government level following concerns that the appearance of what was deemed to be blasphemous material could provoke a backlash from hardline Muslims.

"We have a difficult situation in our country. If we had not stopped YouTube there would have been a bigger backlash. We have seen such reaction in the past," he said."

Though it's about time these hardliners were softened a little bit.

On another point, while everyone is busy here blaming Pakistan for this and that, it does appear that it was the PCCW in Hong Kong that caused the global youtube outage a bit ago.

On another point, while everyone is busy here blaming Pakistan for this and that, it does appear that it was the PCCW in Hong Kong that caused the global youtube outage a bit ago.

:) Hong Kong isnt a Muslim State RR

Dear Mustapha,

Carry on that path and you can ban the below too

BAN BEDS BECAUSE THEY LEAD TO SEX AND ADULTRY.
BAN TV'S BECAUSE THEY GIVE YOU WEAK EYESIGHT.
BAN MOBILES BECAUSE THEY MAY FRY YOUR BRAINS.
BAN DANCING BECAUSE THEY GIVE YOU A BAD BACK.

There are lot more but the humor may be lost on you. I am sure a religion followed by a billion people can weather a storm from a computer program and a few idiots who misuse it to further hate.

Regards

Salaams,

The reason YouTube maybe banned is because perhaps its proving to be more destructive than constructive.

lol...The humor is actually on you dear brother, you bring up beds, TVs, Mobiles, and Dancing.

All of them are totally different things, and are used for different activites; hence cannot be used to prove why "Youtube shouldn't be or should be banned."

For beds...you can do many things such as sleep in a bed, eat on a bed, read on a bed, study on bed, do AP Calculus on a bed etc. thus, you can do more constructive things with a bed than destructive. Adultery can happen anywhere so it does not apply, that it is human fault.

In TV's, they should show appropriate content and nothing despicable. Its proven that if you stay 7 to 10 feet (atleast 5 feet) you will not lose your eyesight. Again, I have refuted your illogical arguement. However if you really are persistent, you can wear glasses/contacts and most lately; you can apply for laser surgery. Finally if it was unintentional, Allah will not hold you accountable. Allah will only hold you accountable the things you did by choice. So for example if you did on purpose to hurt youself, yes, you are doing "haraam."

The mobile issue about radiation was quite recent, hence they fixed that issue already. Don't worry, its "okay" to use a mobile now, stop crying... :woot: and also please refer at the last three sentences of the last paragraph.

Some types of dancing are haraam, such as a girl and boy dancing together. (unless its a husband and wife) Or if you dance inappropriately.

Anyways, again I will say the same sentences again ---> Finally if it was unintentional, Allah will not hold you accountable. Allah will only hold you accountable the things you did by choice. So for example if you did on purpose to hurt youself, yes, you are doing "haraam."

Well, the ban has been lifted now but thats not the point. If YouTube is proving to be a Universal transit point for "haraam" videos and more destructive than constructive, then it should be controlled. My advise to YouTube is to assign a criteria for uploaded videos so it doesn't offend any particular group or anything viceful.

Most people will agree with me, but please don't try to change the World's decorum of morality or sense of inhibitions ; you won't be the one. ;) & :coffee:

In the end, Alhumdullah, whatever reason it was unblocked for was perhaps for the best.

Allah hafiz

Some types of dancing is haraam, such as a girl and boy dancing together. (unless its a husband and wife) Or if you dance inappropriately.

If you think dancing is haram, then don't watch videos in which people are dancing.

As for me, we have dances by girls and boys at our family weddings, and you can't tell us that we can't upload those videos on YouTube to share with our family all over the world.

Salaams,

SS, I said some types are...not all... As long it is appropriate, not viceful, not girls and boys dancing (except for husband and wife), and at the same time meaningful...why can't people dance?
Well I personally don't dance, but as long it follows the rules stated above, then its ok.

You are not understanding the whole context of the sentence you quoted. You are only making yourself look silly, not me. I said "Some types."

Yes, ah-hem I realize there is a misconception on this issue. Girls and boys should not dance together in the same room, it doesn't matter whatever the occassion is.

By all means you are entitled to dance with whoever you like and your family members. Afterall, we can only convey the message.

Who gave you the right to decide what is viceful? You want "some types" of dance videos to be blocked. I don't consider any dancing to be 'viceful', so if it is blocked the interpretation of people who have your view on the matter will be forced upon me.

what good will it do? I will find other ways to watch my favorite MTV songs. You can't have have half-hearted censorship. Either ban everything, or nothing. It becomes arbitrary and a waste of time when you try to block things here and there.

So while YouTube was blocked, **** sites were freely available in Pak. Why weren't those banned? Because theres billions of them and it's impossible to block them. So why ban YouTube, which dosen't even have anything graphic on it? This episode only succeded in making Pakistan look really stupid.

Salaams,

In different countries, different rules appy, and different actions will take place.

Yes, do that! Be a rebel! Just the same old American slogan isn't it? Well if you are trying to evade the laws and rules only you and your comrades will suffer.

Ummm... What **** websites? Thats alright, I really don't want to know, but if they are there then there should some sort of action taking place aganist it.

Well, if China can block some websites such as CNN and BBC or anything that promotes democracy why can't Pakistan not block YouTube?

Back
Top Bottom