What's new

Pakistan's Internet censorship

Freedom of press was really brought by musharraf. All credit goes to him.

well i'd say for an even longer time we've had a fairly free press. But Gen. (retd.) Musharraf did help induce further reforms to further ''free'' it up more. And in fact the amount of news channels, publications, newspapers etc. has increased MANIFOLD in the country.

ironically, the same media he helped free came back and aided towards his downfall

Its a letter from a professor from the University of Michigan that was supposed to have been sent to some Michigan Muslem group at the university of Michigan that was demostrating against the cartoons. Its now makeing the rounds of the email on internet which means millions are reading it.

Yes, and my question was if this is a kind of correspondence a professor should be making. When you teach at a university, you take an oath to abide by certain ideals in which you teach, discuss (and learn) in a non-emotional and rational way. Sometimes it may be hard, but it's important to set good examples

when you generalize and basically state that Islam is about
''beheadings of civilians, cowardly attacks on public buildings, suicide murders, murders of Catholic priests (the latest in Turkey), burnings of Christian churches, the continued persecution of Coptic Christians in Egypt, the imposition of Sharia law on non-Muslims, the rapes of Scandinavian girls and women (called 'whores' in your culture), the murder of film directors in Holland, and the rioting and looting in Paris France.''

what are ignorant people supposed to think? Will they get the real picture, or will they be naiive and fall victim to stereotyping?

did he also condemn the backlash on 9/11, when Arabs, Pakistanis (and even Latinos being mistaken as ''middle-eastern'') were having their shops fire-bombed and vandalized, and being harassed?

I counsel you dissatisfied, aggressive, brutal, and uncivilized slave-trading Muslims to be very aware of this as you proceed with your infantile 'protests.'

need I say more? :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, he hails from Michigan which enjoys a HUGE diaspora of Muslim immigrants and first/second generation citizens.

He is clearly intolerant, and he exposed his bigotry. I am glad the e-mail is circulating, and hopefully he will be forced to resign for his offensive email.

Yes, and my question was if this is a kind of correspondence a professor should be making. When you teach at a university, you take an oath to abide by certain ideals in which you teach, discuss (and learn) in a non-emotional and rational way. Sometimes it may be hard, but it's important to set good examples

when you generalize and basically state that Islam is about

what are ignorant people supposed to think? Will they get the real picture, or will they be naiive and fall victim to stereotyping?

did he also condemn the backlash on 9/11, when Arabs, Pakistanis (and even Latinos being mistaken as ''middle-eastern'') were having their shops fire-bombed and vandalized, and being harassed?

need I say more? :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, he hails from Michigan which enjoys a HUGE diaspora of Muslim immigrants and first/second generation citizens.

He is clearly intolerant, and he exposed his bigotry. I am glad the e-mail is circulating, and hopefully he will be forced to resign for his offensive email.

No 1 I have never heard of somebody haveing to take an Oath to Teach in the USA.

Some people have the idea they have a right to decide what cartoons some people can draw and what some people can see and read, some people think other wise.

Considering that 3000 americans civlians were murdered in cold blood I thought the reactions of americans were very restrained. I am not sure any Muslims even died in the USA because of 911, I wish I could say the same about the cartoons, they are still trying to killl that guy..

And I am assumeing the University should just fire people that say things critical of Islam, not the Jews.

Last edited:
Considering that 3000 americans civlians were murdered in cold blood I thought the reactions of americans were very restrained

People from around the world were sympathetic. I dont know how restrained American reactions were, considering majority of the country supported the invasion of Iraq just 2 years later.

A country which never imposed war on the US; a country which had no involvement with Al Qaeda or 9/11. A country which did not even end up having those WMDs ;)

I am not sure any Muslims even died in the USA because of 911, I wish I could say the same about the cartoons, they are still trying to killl that guy..

Muslim Victims of Terrorist Attack, September 11, 2001

(does not include a list of the maimed or permanently injured --who will probably remain nameless)

And I am assumeing the University should just fire people that say things critical of Islam, not the Jews.

so you basically agree blindly with what the professor wrote. I cant have a discussion with somebody who keeps his eyes closed and is so dogmatic in views

the professor should be fired for sending an inappropriate and racist comment to the MSA. If a professor sent an email to a ''JSA'' about how the holocaust is exaggerated and/or talked about Jews as ''controlling the media'' (or some other broad generalization) I wonder how AIPAC and other Jewish-run lobbyist groups would react and how much pressure they would exert?

he/she would be crucified before dawn becomes dusk!

Last edited:
People from around the world were sympathetic. I dont know how restrained American reactions were, considering majority of the country supported the invasion of Iraq just 2 years later.

A country which never imposed war on the US; a country which had no involvement with Al Qaeda or 9/11. A country which did not even end up having those WMDs ;)

Muslim Victims of Terrorist Attack, September 11, 2001

(does not include a list of the maimed or permanently injured --who will probably remain nameless)

so you basically agree blindly with what the professor wrote. I cant have a discussion with somebody who keeps his eyes closed and is so dogmatic in views

the professor should be fired for sending an inappropriate and racist comment to the MSA. If a professor sent an email to a ''JSA'' about how the holocaust is exaggerated and/or talked about Jews as ''controlling the media'' (or some other broad generalization) I wonder how AIPAC and other Jewish-run lobbyist groups would react and how much pressure they would exert?

he/she would be crucified before dawn becomes dusk!

I just printed a copy of a email I expect millions of people are reading world wide that is makeing its rounds on the internet. Would you be as out raged if some one said something like this about the Jews or Americans in Pakistan.

I think you are missing the mans point, that protests about cartoons when all the other things that are going on in the Islamic world is a little over the top to many people in the world.

So I guess it was OK with you if Saddam and Sons were to remain in power for a few more generations.

Also I expect a lot of american are going to wonder what are those crazy bastards in Pakistan doing now, cutting off the internet over cartoons while they have had terroist groups on the internet advocating mass murder of civilians for years now.

Providing Food Security for Impoverished Families in Pakistan

Recent high inflation in Pakistan has affected all sectors of society, and those who were already living below the poverty line have been pushed to a state of crisis. RI’s project is providing vulnerable communities in Shangla and Bunair with agricultural inputs to help them cultivate the land that would otherwise lie fallow, while simultaneously providing immediate relief through wheat distributions.

Since October of 2008, Relief International has provided 8,000 families from approximately 80 to 100 villages across the two districts with 400 metric tons (MT) of wheat seed, 80 MT of lentil seed, 8,000 bags of vegetable seed inputs, and 400 MT of both DAP and urea. In addition RI has distributed 1600 MT of wheat among families under food support and held a number of trainings in conjunction with local Government Agricultural Department Officers. :pakistan:

To have enough food, shelter, and take care of one’s family is fundamental for survival and basic human dignity. RI enables people to provide for themselves through training and increasing access to resources to lead healthy, productive lives. In communities ravaged by disasters or civil conflict, RI works quickly to restore livelihoods and establish food security, particularly for the most vulnerable. Even in wartime or the aftermath of disaster, livelihoods projects can bridge the gap between despair and well-being using proven tools such as microcredit, business courses, and community education. In many societies, women are the sole providers, but they are also highly susceptible to poverty and marginalization. RI designs many livelihoods projects to specifically further the self-sufficiency and status of women.

#

#
Gujranwala coprs has been instrumental in dipstcah of relief goods to flood affectees during OP LABBAIK .So far corps has dispatched 168 truck load of rations and relief goods to KPK, Balochistan, sindh and interior Punjab.Through continuous air sorties by C 17 from Sailkot international air port relief goods are being dispatched to Balochistan province, so far 465 Tons has been dispatched to Quetta from flood affected brethren of Balochistan.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Pakistan Army devotedly working to provide all possible relief to stranded people in the flood affected areas of Sindh, Punjab, KPK and Northern Areas.

Pakistan Army Troops have evacuated more than 7,000 people from Larkana, Jacobabad, Khairpur, Noshero Feroz and provided cooked food, water and first aid in last 24 hours. Army Engineers are working on war footing to open road link between Multan-Dera Ghazi Khan and have restored road Skardu-Olding and road Skardu-Dassu. 18 dewatering pumps have been transported from Karachi to Rhim Yar Khan through special C- 130.

To meet the requirement of POL in Northern Areas, 6000 liters at Gilgit and 10,800 liters at Skardu have been transported through C-130. 20 people have been rescued through Helicopter from Gilgit, Ghizer Valley and Skardu to safer places.

Army Mobile Medical Teams have provided free medical treatment to over 3,000 patients in flood affected areas of KPK. 20 Trucks carrying tents, medicines, blankets and ration have been dispatched to Upper and Lower Dir. Army Troops have repaired the damaged Bridges on Peshawar-Torkham at Ali Masjid, Bangot, Jalawan, Fizza Ghat, Hazara, Bat Khel and Takhtaband

plz help flood relief people through our pak Army.

you can help through food, water, medicines, clothes, money etc

All of you can participate details are on this link
www. ispr.gov.pk

ARMY RELIEF EFFORTS

1. Special Support Group (SSG) has established the Bases at various stations to regulate the relief goods to flood stricken areas.

2. All desirous organizations / persons may deposit relief goods at any of these relief Centres: Malir, Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Quetta, Pano Aqil, Rahim Yar Khan, Multan, Fortress Stadium Lahore, Gujranwala Cantt, Chaklala Rawalpindi, Abbottabad, Basham, Tarbela, Nowshera and Peshawar.

3. The donation in cash can be deposited in Army Relief Fund at Askari Bank Limited, General Headquarters Branch, Rawalpindi Account Number. 0028010121825-8.

fortress stadium lahore army camp
phone no: 042-669935301, 669935308

Major General Athar Abbas Praises PAF Efforts In Australia

Pakistani Australian Federation Inc. (PAF) which is an umbrella organization for Pakistanis in Australia, is raising funds in Australia for the flood victims in Pakistan and will deliver donations to the victims by using the services of ISPR Pakistan. Major General Athar Abbas described the relief efforts being made by the Pakistan Army and Pakistan Air force in rescuing and providing aid for the flood victims across the disasters areas to Syed Atiq ul Hassan, Aijaz Ahmed Khan, Syed Naveed Qasim and Surraya Hassan in a ½ hour panel interview on Voice of Tribune’s radio program last night (Sunday 30/08/2010) on FM98.5.

Replying to questions by the panel, Major General Athar Abbas said that still relief operations require enormous aid, in the form of money, food, medicine, clothing, tents etc from the donors. He appealed to the overseas Pakistanis particularly; he addressed the Pakistanis in Australia, to help the flood victims as much as they can through generous donations.

Major General Athar Abbas also explained the scale of the damage and the tactics the army is using to tackle the impact of this largest natural disaster in the history of Pakistan.

Major General Athar Abbas praised the efforts being made by the Pakistani Australian Federation Inc. (PAF). Especially, he thanked to Syed Atiq ul Hassan, President of PAF and Producer/presenter of Voice of Tribune and Z.H.Khurram, the foreign correspondent of Voice of Tribune and PAF representative in Pakistan for bringing him live on the radio show and providing him an opportunity to communicate to the Pakistani Community in Australia.

In addition, Pakistani Australian Federation Inc (PAF) has announced that PAF will deliver the flood relief funds being generated in Australia by using the flood relief services offered by the ISPR, Pakistan Army and Pakistan Air Force.

PAF has appealed to the Pakistani Community in New South Wales to attend the annual mega event of Chand Raat Eid Festival (CREF 2010) being held on Thursday, 9th of September, 2010 at Whitlam Centre, Liverpool, NSW (Australia) and donate to PAF at its designated stalls. The management of Chand Raat and PAF will be collectively running the campaign of flood relief fund raising at the CREF 2010.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Turkish engineers on Thursday offered Pakistan expertise for building hi-tech rubber dams over rivers and canals which inflate and deflate water automatically and supply it to sea, rivers, fisheries and farm lands quite easily. This technology is already successfully operational in Japan, South Asian countries and USA, a two-member Turkish delegation told Minister for Industries and Production, Mir Hazar Khan Bijarani here.

The Turkish delegation accompanied by Managing Director Heavy Mechanical Complex (HMC) Taxila, apprised the minister about their visit to HMC.

The delegation members told the minister that HMC had a great potential in the progress and development of the country as it has great potential for manufacturing different heavy machinery plants like cement, sugar and steel bridges.

On the occasion, Bijarani said that HMC was a national asset adding that the government was trying its best to improve its performance.

He said that Turkey and Pakistan were time-tested friends adding the people and governments of both the countries enjoy good brotherly relations.

He thanked the delegation of their offer and said that Pakistan would definitely benefit from the expertise and experience of Turkish technology

The Minister also thanked the people and government of Turkey for helping the Pakistani brethren suffering due to floods.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

The senior leader of All Pakistan Muslim League (APML) Barrister Muhammad Ali Saif said that the people of Pakistan had shown absolute trust in Former president Pervez Musharraf by donating Rs 200 million in only four hours of telethon.

Musharraf on the last week of this month would also go for another telethon transmission for the relief of flood victims at CNN to collect money for flood relief.

He expressed these views in his chat with different party delegations call on him on Monday. He said that the warmly participation of the people of Pakistan in the telethon and a large number of collection for Musharraf Foundation proved that the people remember Musharraf tenure and wanted him to govern the country again and finish the price hike, poverty and unemployment.

Barrister Saif said that Musharraf would go for another telethon conference on a leading American TV channel CNN along with former US foreign minister Hennery Kissinger, Hollywood film star and United Nation Goodwill Ambassador Angelina Jolie.

The collecting funds would used for the rehabilitation of flood affected peoples of Pakistan and to provide them employment he added. Regarding Musharraf return to the country he said Musharraf would announce launching of his political party in October after that he came back to Pakistan to contest the elections.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Former president Gen (R) Pervez Musharraf said that Pakistan was facing challenge of extremism and there was need to make people aware about this monster.

Talking in the Telethon Transmission of Dunya News arranged for collecting funds for the rehabilitation of flood affectees, Pervez Musharraf said that all the money donated by the well-to-do would be spent on flood affectees. He said that it was the government’s responsibility to work for the betterment of citizens. He said that he will come back and contest elections.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Pakistan’s intelligence agencies have received reports that Indian elements may be involved in the spate of suicide attacks in the country and there may be more attacks in the coming days, a federal minister said Sunday.

Federal State Minister for Interior Affairs Tasnim Qureshi said he has ‘concrete evidence’ citing Indian elements’ involvement in terror activities in Pakistan, News International reported.

‘The nation should unite against conspiracies to break Pakistan,’ he said.

In a fresh wave of terrorist attacks in Pakistan, 73 people were killed in Quetta and 35 died in Lahore in the first week of September when Shia processions were targetted.

Another 18 people, including nine school students, were killed in a suicide attack targeting a police station in Lakki Marwat, a town in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

In a moving reflection of love and a deep desire to help, a nine-year old Turkish girl Merve Tekinay donated her one year’s pocket money and her doll as a contribution to Pakistan’s flood relief effort.

The little Merve, like her other countrymen, shared her most precious things – 150 Turkish Liras in cash and her favourite doll-with the people in distress, in a show of sublime affection for their Pakistani brethren. Merve who hails from Konya, the burial place of Sufi saint Jalaluddin Rumi, also addressed a personal letter to President of Pakistan and assured continued help.

“I will go on sending my help. Don’t worry. We are your best friend,” the hand written letter in Turkish language said. Despite her lack of command on the language; her strong desire to reach out to the millions of displaced by the worst ever flooding in Pakistan, is evident. “I don’t know how much needs, equal to our help for your situation. I send you one year pocket money and my doll. On behalf of our friendship I also send a photo of me.” The young Merve who represents the great Turkish nation having deep regard and feelings of affection for the peopl

WASHINGTON, Oct. 29, 2010 -- Defense Department officials are working to remind veterans and current servicemembers who were involuntarily retained in the military under the so-called "Stop Loss" program to apply for special pay before the Dec. 3 deadline.

Military members whose service was involuntarily extended or whose retirement was suspended between Sept. 11, 2001, and Sept. 30, 2009, are entitled to a retroactive payment of $500 for each month of extension.

By law, servicemembers who received a bonus for voluntarily re-enlisting or extending their service are not eligible for the special pay, officials said, but they added that they strongly urge people who even think they may be eligible to submit an application before the deadline.

Information on the special pay and links to the application are available at Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay.

About 65,000 of 145,000 eligible claims have been paid, and $243 million has been disbursed of the $534 million appropriated, officials said.

President Barack Obama released a video message Sept. 15 urging eligible servicemembers and veterans to apply.

"You served with honor. You did your duty. And when your country called on you again, you did your duty again," he said in the message. "Now, it's time to collect the special pay that you deserve."

The services are promoting the retroactive pay through national and regional media, direct mail, veteran and service organizations, websites and phone lines. Information about the special pay also has been included on civilian and retiree pay stubs

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

CAMP TAJI, Iraq (Nov. 29, 2010) – An Army unit deployed to Camp Taji, Iraq, is shaping the future of the Army’s unmanned aircraft systems program with a handful of its newest aircraft, the MQ-1C Gray Eagle.

The unit, known as Quick Reaction Capability 1-Replacement 1, deployed in June to use the Gray Eagle in combat before the Army fields the aircraft to all of its aviation brigades in the next few years. It is one of two deployed Army units currently flying the Gray Eagle, and it is the only one using it in Iraq.

The unit is attached to the Enhanced Combat Aviation Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, an all-in-one aviation brigade from Fort Riley, Kan. The Gray Eagle’s mission is similar to the mission of the brigade’s Apache and Kiowa helicopters, but as an unmanned aircraft, has stronger ties to the intelligence community. The QRC1-R1 operators are working with aviators from the brigade’s Apache battalion to integrate their mission into the aviation realm.

The Gray Eagle is an extended-range, multipurpose unmanned aircraft designed primarily to provide ground commanders a set of “eyes in the sky.” The aircraft is built on the same platform as the Air Force’s Predator drone, and will provide the Army access to the type of support usually provided by Predator-type aircraft.

“The Army needed more UAS support; there was a gap in coverage,” said Capt. Michael Goodwin, the unit’s commander, and a native of Cedar Island, N.C. “Predator-based platforms are spread too thin to meet all of the Army’s needs…we’re the Army’s answer to finding a quick solution to that problem.”

The Army purchased its first batch of Gray Eagles from General Atomics Aeronautical Systems while the aircraft was still in the developmental stage. Forming the QRC units allowed the Army to get a head-start on introducing the aircraft to combat.

The unit has not identified any significant flaws in the aircraft, which has yielded impressive results during the first six months of deployment, said Goodwin.

The unit has flown nearly 7,000 accident-free hours, more than 350 combat missions, produced more than 16,000 surveillance-type images, and maintained a systems operational readiness rate of about 93 percent, according to unit reports.

Soldiers of the QRC unit are not only developing the Gray Eagle and its systems, but often help introduce its technology to the commanders and ground troops it is designed to benefit.

“One of the biggest things we try to do is educate other units about our capabilities,” said Goodwin. “A lot of units have the ability to use our assets, but they don’t know what we can do.”

One of the most useful tools the unit offers ground troops is education on a portable system known as the OSRVT, or One Station Remote Viewing Terminal. Ground commanders using the system can access the Gray Eagle’s video feed from a laptop. The OSRVT can be carried in a backpack and is designed to be used in most military vehicles. Access to the Gray Eagle’s feed through the system provides ground commanders a firsthand, bird’s eye view of the battlefield, said Goodwin.

“We’re finding that a lot of units have the OSRVT, but don’t know what it does for them,” said Goodwin. “Our company helps train the ground guys on the system, on how to access our feeds and use our aircraft to support them.”

“It’s such a new technology that – just like our aircraft – most people don’t know how great the technology is,” said Goodwin. “If I were a ground commander, I wouldn’t roll out without it.”

In addition to the OSRVT, the Gray Eagle and its operators are perfecting several technologies that are new to the Army’s spy-plane arsenal.

Older Army UAS platforms have typically only served as a middle-man in engaging targets: providing attack helicopters, planes, or ground troops with a target. With the Gray Eagle, the Army’s UAS family can now do both. The unit is working to prepare the aircraft to carry hellfire missiles, and is scheduled to conduct a live test of the missiles in Iraq during January.

Sgt. Brent Randal, a Gray Eagle operator deployed with QRC1-R1 and a native of Las Vegas, Nev., said that one of the aircraft’s best features is its new Synthetic Aperture Radar, or SAR. Mounted underneath the Gray Eagle’s nose, the SAR can compare high-resolution images of a location taken at different times to determine whether objects have been removed from or placed at a scene.

“Using the SAR we can fly by a site, fly by several hours later, and if anything changes, we’ll see it,” said Randal.

The technology comes particularly useful in locating buried IEDs and weapons caches, said Randal.

The Gray Eagle can also help ground troops communicate with their headquarters over long distances.

“We’ve had a couple situations where ground troops were out of communications range from their higher headquarters, so we used our radio systems in the aircraft to retransmit their signals to their headquarters,” said Randal. “In essence we bounce their signal back to their base.”

Staff Sgt. Raymond Ballance, of Beaufort, S.C., the unit’s senior enlisted trainer and master gunner, has a unique perspective on the company’s mission with the Gray Eagle.

Ballance recently hit his 11-year mark in the Army, but has only operated unmanned aircraft for the last five years. Before he turned to flying drones, Ballance spent the invasions of both Afghanistan and Iraq as a scout on the ground. His mission was to travel ahead of infantry units to find the enemy, observe their activity, and provide his commanders with firsthand intelligence.

Ballance and many other scouts became unmanned aircraft operators when the Army did away with their original field in 2005.

“We’re still the eyes on the battlefield -- now it’s from above,” said Ballance. “It’s a lot safer, too. You no longer have that three-man team out there hours away from help hiding in the bushes.”

“You can never fully replace the human element on the battlefield, but what I used to do has evolved into what the Gray Eagle does now,” he said.

Since switching jobs ,Ballance has flown several of the Army’s unmanned aircraft, including the Predator drone for Task Force ODIN, the Army’s first unit to fly that aircraft. The success of that task force helped pave the way for the Army’s acquisition of the Gray Eagle, said Ballance.

“The Army saw the success of the Predator in the skies of Iraq and Afghanistan and decided to go full production with their own,” said Ballance. “I’ve seen it evolve from there: better engines, better payloads, better systems.”

The Army plans to provide 12 Gray Eagles to each of its aviation brigades when the aircraft is fully developed. The aircraft are likely to work closely with the Army’s scout helicopters, but will remain strongly connected to intelligence and ground combat units, officials said.

“Ten years ago the Air Force had Predators and they were working for three-letter agencies,” said Ballance. “When this thing goes full production, every aviation brigade is going to have it.”

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

hree U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command's (RDECOM) communications-electronics center technologies proven useful in the field by U.S. Soldiers will be recognized as part of the Top Ten 2009 Army's Greatest Inventions (AGI) during an awards ceremony at the Army Science Conference Nov. 28 in Orlando, Fla.

"There are several ground-breaking capabilities that come out of our Army labs and centers, but what makes this recognition significant is that these technologies were specifically selected by our Soldiers for the value provided in the field," said Jill Smith, CERDEC Communications-Electronics Research, Development and Engineering Center (CERDEC) director.

CERDEC's three AGI recipients include a portable power system, a threat warning system and counter radio controlled-improvised explosive device electronic warfare, or CREW, system.

The Rucksack Enhanced Portable Power System, or REPPS, is a lightweight, portable power system capable of recharging batteries and/or acting as a continuous power source. This system from the CERDEC Command and Control Directorate (C2D), combines anti-glint solar panels, connectors and adaptors for increased charging options, and can charge most common military battery types in five to six hours.

"Our goal in CERDEC C2D is to increase the Soldier's energy independence on the battlefield while reducing his physical and logistical burden. We're focusing on renewable energy as part of this solution, and the Soldier's feedback has been critical throughout. It's helped REPPS evolve significantly, and we will continue to work closely with the Warfighter to develop durable, light-weight, low-cost systems that will better fit his needs," said Pete Glikerdas, C2D acting director.

Soldiers can capitalize on REPPS renewable energy abilities by daisy-chaining several of the systems together if devices with higher power need to be charged.

The pass-thru assembly cable allows simultaneous battery recharging while delivering power to an end item enabling the Warfighter to complete their longer operations missions and extending the usage time for their equipment. REPPS, which has been used for surveillance and reconnaissance missions, is designed for silent watch operations and operations in remote areas.

Wolfhound Handheld Threat Warning System is another CERDEC technology intended to assist the Warfighter with missions. Wolfhound targets command and control nodes of the enemy.

Wolfhound, from the CERDEC Intelligence and Information Warfare Directorate, is a hand-held, radio frequency threat warning and direction finding system that is intended to fill the coverage gaps and limitations of traditional systems.

"The Wolfhound system was developed in response to Soldiers saying 'We can hear them-we need to be able to locate them,'" said John Lynch, Wolfhound product manager.

This system provides mission support and force protection, aids in combat search and rescue, can identify and geolocate spotter positions and observation posts, and can be used in both static and mobile operations.

"It helps Soldiers with their missions; but it is lightweight, and Soldiers can master the 'buttonology' of Wolfhound in about 20 minutes and can learn use and concept of operation in about 16 hours," said Lynch.

Achieving optimal size, weight and power requirements are essential for most CERDEC technologies. The third AGI recipient, CREW Duke V3 , is a field-deployable, single-unit system that was also designed to have minimal size, weight and power requirements while providing simple operation and optimal performance in order to provide force protection against radio controlled-IEDs.

The CREW Duke V3 was developed by the CERDEC Intelligence and Information Warfare Directorate (I2WD) in conjunction with Product Manager CREW to provide electronic, life-saving protection in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, according to John Masco, I2WD Electronic Warfare (EW) Air/Ground Survivability EW Systems Ground Branch DukeV3 lead electronics engineer.

The first generation of the CREW system was previously recognized in 2006 as a 2005 U.S. Army's Greatest Invention, and more than 25,000 Duke systems have been fielded to date. Duke V3 has played a role in reducing insurgents' employment of radio-controlled IEDs.

"These are the sixth and seventh Army Greatest Invention award I2WD has received and are exceptional accomplishments for our organization and the Army," said Anthony Lisuzzo, I2WD director. "This recognition demonstrates that CERDEC I2WD works very closely with the Army team to ensure that the Warfighter gets the best technology and capabilities that are available to contribute to their mission success and their safety."

In total, CERDEC has received 11 Army Greatest Invention awards since the Army started recognizing these technologies in 2002.

"The consistent recognition of CERDEC technologies by Soldiers is a true testament to the effort and ingenuity of our workforce," said Smith. "This acknowledgment reminds us all that our work has a direct effect on the men and women serving our country."

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

SEONGNAM, South Korea -- During the funeral service held here Nov. 27, the 8th Army commanding general paid his respects to the two Republic of Korea Marines killed during North Korea's unprovoked attack on Yeonpyeong Island.

Lt. Gen. John D. Johnson, 8th Army commanding general and chief of staff of United Nations Command, Combined Forces Command and U.S. Forces Korea, represented U.S. military forces at the funeral service for ROK Marines Sgt. Seo Jeong-wu and Pfc. Moon Gwang-wuk.

The day was marked by a gentle snow, which Korean custom says represents the soldiers who have gone before, welcoming the two new heroes into their ranks.

Along with other senior ROK-U.S. Alliance leaders, he placed a white Chrysanthemum and saluted the fallen at the shrine for the two Marines.

“These two Marines represented the fighting spirit of the ROK-U.S. Alliance and I came to honor their memory and pay my respects to their families,” said Johnson. "Their sacrifice was made in the cause of protecting freedom and these brave heroes of the alliance will not be forgotten."

The North Korean artillery attack also killed two South Korean civilians, injured 16 ROK servicemembers and three civilians and destroyed many houses and buildings.

Johnson emphasized that the ROK-U.S. Alliance remains ready to decisively defeat any threat against South Korea, if necessary.

“As always, our forces are trained and ready to stand with our ROK allies in the defense of Korea, if called on,” said Johnson.

The 8th Army commander is using the 8th Army website, Facebook page and Twitter page to keep Soldiers, civilians and family members on the peninsula informed in the aftermath of the attack.

If any website contain any material against Islamic religion then it should be blocked.

Back
Top Bottom