What's new

Pakistan's First Coal Power Project Starts Functioning

Can you quit being stupid ? GE does not perform the geological surveys of estimating coal reserves. They are not in the business.

If there was 180 billion metric tons I would be extracting 200-300 million tons per year not the measly 4 million tons. Pakistan won't have a energy crisis

Bud, you extract the amount of coal you need; whether it be for your own needs or to sell. It is irrespective of the amount of coal reserves.

I don't know the exact figure, but it's plenty.

Bud, you extract the amount of coal you need; whether it be for your own needs or to sell. It is irrespective of the amount of coal reserves.

That's right. They extract 4 million tons a year. In 1,000 years they can extract 4 billion tons. In 10,000 years they can extract 40 billion tons. In 40,000 years they can extract 160 billion tons. This is sustainability.

It is not GE's core area of expertise. Do not quote a GE document on coal reserves

Man give it a rest, numerous third parties have assessed Thar coal and stated the same figure for reserves. There is always a difference between stated reserves and those that are economic to extract. Even if only half of stated reserves can be economically extracted, that's still huge. Pakistan is just getting started with coal.

That's right. They extract 4 million tons a year. In 1,000 years they can extract 4 billion tons. In 10,000 years they can extract 40 billion tons. In 40,000 years they can extract 160 billion tons. This is sustainability.
why we extract coal when we cant use it sir its first power plant and it has enough of coal to use . with time power plants will be increased and extraction will be increase too .

Man give it a rest, numerous third parties have assessed Thar coal and stated the same figure for reserves. There is always a difference between stated reserves and those that are economic to extract. Even if only half of stated reserves can be economically extracted, that's still huge. Pakistan is just getting started with coal.

Coal is cheaper than oil and natural gas. Coal don't need processing like oil and natural gas do. Plus coal is only a few hundred meters down.

why we extract coal when we cant use it sir its first power plant and it has enough of coal to use . with time power plants will be increased and extraction will be increase too .

Coal can provide 20% of Pakistan's electricity. The rest can be handled by natural gas, nuclear, wind, solar, hydroelectric.

Coal is cheaper than oil and natural gas. Coal don't need processing like oil and natural gas do. Plus coal is only a few hundred meters down.

Coal can provide 20% of Pakistan's electricity. The rest can be handled by natural gas, nuclear, wind, solar, hydroelectric.

No disagreement from me. Pakistan has huge hydro, solar, biomass, shale gas potential in addition to thar coal. All energy resources should be exploited. Japan, S korea, and China all had a decade or more of double digit energy sector growth and went from poor to rich countries. Pakistan can do the same with our indigenous energy resources.

Can you quit being stupid ? GE does not perform the geological surveys of estimating coal reserves. They are not in the business.

If there was 180 billion metric tons I would be extracting 200-300 million tons per year not the measly 4 million tons. Pakistan won't have a energy crisis

You are right. Case closed

do not tell me you do not need the money or energy.
if you have extra coal you would be exporting it to settle your current account deficit

Believe what you want. You are not authority. You have no credibility. Go diss Pakistan somewhere else you White ghost.
Neither are you

History Redefined: Engro successfully synchronizes the 330MW power plant on Thar Coal-------------

everything going to Abdul Razzaq Dawood,-------------no conflict of intrest here mr PM?

Is it possible we make 50% of electricity from coal and saving will be invested in growing trees?

Wouldnt be it will be win win situation.

Cheap electricity + more production in pakistan due to cheap electricity + Trees in pakistan more greenary.

Is it possible we make 50% of electricity from coal and saving will be invested in growing trees?

Coal should be no more than 20% of electricity. Cars and buses should be oil powered to minimize electricity demand. If used sustainably, Thar coalfield can provide cheap reliable electricity to Pakistan for more than 40,000 years.

They extract 4 million tons a year. In 1,000 years they can extract 4 billion tons. In 10,000 years they can extract 40 billion tons. In 40,000 years they can extract 160 billion tons.

Most low-grade coals (with low carbon content) need some kind of processing for the removal of non-combustible matter. This is especially true for the coals used in the metallurgical processes.

For power generation, bituminous or semi-bituminous coals can be used without processing. However,
the coal under discussion here is 'Thar Coal'. This is "Lignite" or brown coal which is the lowest grade of coal. It has about 35% moisture content and hence needs to be processed (dehydrated) before it can be used for burning.

This makes it expensive to mine, store, and transport and has very high carbon emissions when burned. That is why power stations using lignite coal are generally situated close to the extraction site.

FYI even though lignite is primarily used for power generation, I have come across lignite briquettes (dried cake)
used for domestic heating. Lignite can also be used to produce "syngas" (a mixture of hydrogen, carbon monoxide & carbon dioxide) which can be burnt in power plants and /or manufacturing synthetic motor fuels.

The main point here is to emphasize that Thar coal needs processing before it can be used. We have not been told d the cost per MMBtu of the processed Thar coal. It may not be cheaper than LNG in Rupee terms but it would surely save a lot of foreign exchange.

The Thar is a desert....Lets use solar energy to dry or gasify the coal into fertilizer.

I recall seeing a report from RWE, a German leader in lignite coal utilization, that was brought in to assess Thar coal....generation from Thar coal had a forecasted cost of $.07 kw/h.

Back
Top Bottom