What's new

Pakistan's Biggest Food Import: Palm Oil Worth $4.5 Billion Worsens Trade Deficit

Yeah, mustard is native to the region and should be encouraged. I don't know if Sindh region can grow groundnut. It is a good oil plant and in India Gujarat and interior Maharashtra produce a lot of it, both have similar climate to Sindh (hot and arid).
groundnuts are grown in upper/northern Punjab and KPK. Sindh does grow some but its a negligible amount, i belong to a long line farmers and as far as punjab and mustard oil goes, Punjab alone can feed the entire Pakistan's needs, but the bonus is Sindh can easily grow it too! Punjabis have recently started eating mustard oil, know a few people who shifted from palm to mustard oil , still a small amount of people but its a work in progress!

Yeah, mustard is native to the region and should be encouraged. I don't know if Sindh region can grow groundnut. It is a good oil plant and in India Gujarat and interior Maharashtra produce a lot of it, both have similar climate to Sindh (hot and arid).
sindh is behind is agriculture for one main reason ....lots and lots of feudal lords, who doesn`t even bother to cultivate their land.

mustard oil is another option, which can be made locally with a much less Hussle as compared to palm oil. many people are using it now, its also cheap!
We also grow corn. To be honest there are endless oils that can be used. In Britain, corn oil and vegetable oil are common.

No oil can compete with palm oil in price as it yields almost 4-5 tonnes/hectare as compared to a little over 2 tonne/hectare with two oilseeds crop in a year (say soya-sunflower or groundnut-mustard etc) assuming very efficient farming. Palm oil also has a very neutral flavour and taste which makes it acceptable for a much wider range of dishes and cooking than most vegetable oils/refined oils.

Palm oil is the preferred oil for the poor here in India and also in packaged foods such as chips/bhujiyas etc

Regards

I wonder if we can import substitute palm oil and/or substitute it with some other oil we are surplus in like olive oil
We only produce olive oil of few 1000 tons
But import palm oil in millions of tons

Not just as cooking oil palm oil is used in 80s of consumer products like soap shampoo cosmetic processed foods etc

yeah corn is in abundance too!
More then half of world corn and soybean is used as poultry and cattle feed purposes

We also grow corn. To be honest there are endless oils that can be used. In Britain, corn oil and vegetable oil are common.
Canola is sweet mustard
In past couple of years it's cultivation has increased alot but no where need to fulfill the demand

In the decade of 70s, people use to cook chicken with skin on, the benefit it was tastier and less oil was required in cooking.
Then we devised a new method to remove the skin with feathers on, which increased the oil consumption in cooking as well as reduced the actual culinary taste of the chicken.
KFC and many fast food outlets still used chicken with skin on. The Arab cuisine and Lebanese also serve the chicken with skin on it.
A chicken weighing a kg with skin on generally produces about 60 grams of oil. In the USA/west and ME, the chicken skin is sold separately (money).

If you remove the skin and extract oil that is also beneficial. After extracting oil, the remaining skin is used as a crispy snack like potato chips with marination of your choice.

In place of Maggi and Knorr chicken powder/cubes use the extracted oil according to the recipe - you will save your money as well as your forex reserves. Imagine how much chicken is consumed all over Pakistan in a specific time period and just multiply it by 50grams on average on oil.
IMO, the government/businessmen need to do some R&D on it, and sure it will be a great success. Even if every household does the same it could save Pakistan millions of dollars.

In the decade of 70s, people use to cook chicken with skin on, the benefit it was tastier and less oil was required in cooking.
Then we devised a new method to remove the skin with feathers on, which increased the oil consumption in cooking as well as reduced the actual culinary taste of the chicken.
KFC and many fast food outlets still used chicken with skin on. The Arab cuisine and Lebanese also serve the chicken with skin on it.
A chicken weighing a kg with skin on generally produces about 60 grams of oil. In the USA/west and ME, the chicken skin is sold separately (money).

If you remove the skin and extract oil that is also beneficial. After extracting oil, the remaining skin is used as a crispy snack like potato chips with marination of your choice.

In place of Maggi and Knorr chicken powder/cubes use the extracted oil according to the recipe - you will save your money as well as your forex reserves. Imagine how much chicken is consumed all over Pakistan in a specific time period and just multiply it by 50grams on average on oil.
IMO, the government/businessmen need to do some R&D on it, and sure it will be a great success. Even if every household does the same it could save Pakistan millions of dollars.
Local cottage industry has been producing oil using these homegrown methods that is used in restaurant across the country, but sensationalist journalists like Iqrar Ul Hasan has led to crack down on this industry.

Local cottage industry has been producing oil using these homegrown methods that is used in restaurant across the country, but sensationalist journalists like Iqrar Ul Hasan has led to crack down on this industry.

Dear, I have seen the Program of Iqrar, the object is to get the oil. That could be used in soap manufacturing but is unsuitable for human consumption. The main reason is contamination, as the skin used is including with feathers and the intestines.

Some regulation/legislation is to be introduced by livestock/poultry/food authority to slaughter the birds for local consumption with skin-on. Later it is the consumer's choice to remove skin OR not as their personal preference. That way, there will be proper infrastructure for the collection and processing of the raw skin for oil extraction.

@SaadH

Saadbhai,

I dont know what is the situation in Pak but there is a great deal of unutilised potential by way of rice bran oil and cottonseed oil in India. They are used of course but there is a potential to further increase production and usage. Hopefully these resources are being properly utilised in Pak.

Regards

I don't mean specifically Palm oil. How about corn oil, or any vegetable oil?

I believe that Olive oil would be too expensive.

We better revert back to the old dietary habits of using healthy and cheap alternatives like animal fat ,coconut , mustard oil or even Desi ghee if affordable

Back
Top Bottom