What's new

Pakistan's Artillery Upgrade Discussions

No No! It has no range to do the counter battery job, and has a very low firing rate, it will be knocked out by the weapons that it was trying to destroy. Chemical round probably yes, but no nuke. The main advantage is the weight of the charge it fires, its a howitzer so with the right tragetory its the best bunker buster. Its the job for wich it was invented.
Thanks
M-650 projectile extends range.

pa... absolutely right.
I was there when we blasted cuban positions in cuito quaneval with G5s.
Very Strange, with such a statement coming out from you.
The shoot and scoot tactics as well as SP guns needing to constantly keep moving along with armored advance relegates the range factor by a large extent. Sufficiently armored and well protected SP guns need to be taken out by heavy projectiles.

A) Pinaka has a range of 35km
B) Pinaka 2 is under development and not in service , it’s range is around 60km.
C)A-100 is much more advanced than anything you have and it’s range is over 120Km.
D)Pakistan has KRL-122 whose range is 45-50km.
E)A-100
F) And a new AMLRS is under development by Pak.
Hi @DESERT FIGHTER
There are some factual in-accuracies in your points and I believe I must correct them.
1) In response to your point #B, the development run of Pinaka-2 is already over and it has "demonstrated" a guided range of 75km in field trials. Here is a report directly from GoI-
The trials established an accuracy of 60-80m at maximum ranges.
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=157988

2) The maximum range of KRL-122 is 45km based on the evidence-
http://gids.com.pk/refurbishment-range-enhancement-of-122mm-MBRL-ammunition

3) There is already a program going on to upgrade Pinaka-2 to range of more than 110kms. This is going to be Pinaka-3.

Very Strange, with such a statement coming out from you.
The shoot and scoot tactics as well as SP guns needing to constantly keep moving along with armored advance relegates the range factor by a large extent. Sufficiently armored and well protected SP guns need to be taken out by heavy projectiles.
Indeed, study G5s; it has an apu for movement. cuito ops was a siege. read up on it. The other advantage was G5s were able to hit 40km out making them unreachable by return fire.

Last edited:
We have change a lot from the 70/80s, but the Soul is the same!

Signalian is right about towed artillery, it sucks!
But sometimes is the cheapest solution and most practical (for fast deplyment)

See this vídeo of the Portuguese M119 battery deployd to NRF (Nato Response Force) in 2015 to Lithuania. The time it takes to put them in position and get out of it its to much.
This battery belongs to Portuguese Rapid Reaction Brigade, it trains in Lithuania becouse it will be the first to deploy there.

Can any Pakistan friends tell me what type of Artillery is employed by 37th Infantry Division, its your Rapid Reaction Force.

As you can see "Signalian" it cant be M109 for it, if so would be "Slow Reaction Force"!

Thanks (Obrigado Amigo)

But what happened to Pinaka1. Total failure like Tejas and Arjun, right? Sorry Indian BS only impresses the Indians.
I am new to PDF and I am wondering with one fact I observed throughout that this platform is a virtual battlefiled:(

So why did India buy SMERCH after testing Pinaka ? Also do you know that the ATAGs is being redesigned because the shells are hitting the muzzle break. Also the range of PInaka 2 is only 75 km compared to A100 with the range of 100 km and A100 has inertial guidance

India bought Smerch because Pinaka though a great system does not have the range of Smerch.
The Pinaka Mk3 which is under development will far supersede the Smerch with a range of 120km, hence replacing it.

And no, Pinaka has not failed, it is serving with the Indian Army which continues to order more of it.

ATAGS 155/52 has had an accident free run while simultaneously breaking a world record and is racing towards induction.

You must be thinking of Dhanush 155/45 which suffered barrel bursts during trials just like the battle tested M777 did here in India, which we are buying because it is a mature 155/39 system that is lightweight therefore easily transportable and is of a different calibre than both Dhanush and ATAGS.
Since then however, Dhanush has fired some 5000 rounds without fail and enters service before ATAGS a few months from now.

Indeed, study G5s; it has an apu for movement. cuito ops was a siege. read up on it. The other advantage was G5s were able to hit 40km out making them unreachable by return fire.

M110 was procured a long time back. Indians couldn't match their SP with this gun. The range of 30km was decent enough but as far as I have been told, range in this regard in armored formations is secondary as all the formations are always on the move. Rest I have explained in earlier post as my discussion went with an SP guy and thus the surprise element on your post.

We have change a lot from the 70/80s, but the Soul is the same!

Signalian is right about towed artillery, it sucks!
But sometimes is the cheapest solution and most practical (for fast deplyment)

See this vídeo of the Portuguese M119 battery deployd to NRF (Nato Response Force) in 2015 to Lithuania. The time it takes to put them in position and get out of it its to much.
This battery belongs to Portuguese Rapid Reaction Brigade, it trains in Lithuania becouse it will be the first to deploy there.

Can any Pakistan friends tell me what type of Artillery is employed by 37th Infantry Division, its your Rapid Reaction Force.

As you can see "Signalian" it cant be M109 for it, if so would be "Slow Reaction Force"!

Thanks (Obrigado Amigo)

I can't start writing which artillery unit uses which gun but dedicated SP's have been allotted to IABG's and if you are smart you will get an idea , if you still dis agree, then I can only say good luck And will move on to another post.

37 ID is an infantry formation. It's part of a Strike Corps.
What do you mean by rapid reaction force ?

I am new to PDF and I am wondering with one fact I observed throughout that this platform is a virtual battlefiled:(

Before implementation, every tactic and strategy is conceived and presented on paper.

Whether it's devised in the battlefield is another story.

M110 was procured a long time back. Indians couldn't match their SP with this gun. The range of 30km was decent enough but as far as I have been told, range in this regard in armored formations is secondary as all the formations are always on the move. Rest I have explained in earlier post as my discussion went with an SP guy and thus the surprise element on your post.
Yes, that is absolutely correct, it is standard protocol to keep shifting to prevent return fire; that is also one reason G5 stands out as it has a small motorised unit with it to move it.
However in this case, it was very different. Cubans were pinned down and dug deep in. They were unable to send air cover either and 122mms they had did not have the range. You must know G5s with some different propellants were able to hit 45km away and more depending on altitude we were in.

Back
Top Bottom