What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

is he talking about Erieye or some other new platform??:what:

Yes! The Erieye radar system, developed by Saab Microwave Systems of Sweden!

The radar provides 360 degree coverage and has an instrumental range of 450km and detection range of 350 km in a dense hostile electronic warfare environment — in heavy radar clutter and at low target altitudes. In addition to this, the radar is also capable of identifying friends or foes, and has a sea surveillance mode.

more information - Erieye radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

why does PAF has a different designation like ZKD-03????????

why does PAF has a different designation like ZKD-03????????

the export variants come with different designations, this is usually the case with most of there systems!

regards!

the export variants come with different designations, this is usually the case with most of there systems!

regards!

well export versions are usually degraded will this also be a case this time????:what:

well export versions are usually degraded will this also be a case this time????:what:

who says so?

The F-7 we got were better than Chinese F-7s.

ZKD-03 and FC-20 will undergo various changes to incorporate "better" equipment because PAF doesn't like "current" ones.

Surely and upgrade and not a degraded one. Even the techonologies in JF-17 are new that Chinese are only now incorporating in J-10b. At best, it wont be the exact same as their home version but a variant.

who says so?
Hasnain is right and so are you. It all depends with whom you are dealing. If we buy stuff from USA/Europe, it is always (to the best of my understanding) degraded whereas when we deal with Chinese, we get some leverage to customize the hardware.

ya sure but is this right to only depend upon china i think we should dversify our manufacturing technology as well. I know chinese tech is good but still not at par with western tech. With lot more planes in the air and cut thorat compitition we should think about going for some more diversified ACs like EF or Rafale or Grippen.Even though we are buying upgraded J-10s but we would also look into a possibility where we could join hands with UAE and KSA for ToT deal of any of these ACs?

i guess Mean_bird have provided you with a good answer!
just to add, we know that the equipment we take from china is greatly modified according to our requirments. we made them modify he F7 into a better F7PG then comes the excessively upgraded FC20 and so it may be the same case with the AWACS also!
i hope you get it!

sir qsaark have rightly said that

It all depends with whom you are dealing. If we buy stuff from USA/Europe, it is always (to the best of my understanding) degraded whereas when we deal with Chinese, we get some leverage to customize the hardware.

regards!

ya sure but is this right to only depend upon china i think we should dversify our manufacturing technology as well. I know chinese tech is good but still not at par with western tech. With lot more planes in the air and cut thorat compitition we should think about going for some more diversified ACs like EF or Rafale or Grippen.Even though we are buying upgraded J-10s but we would also look into a possibility where we could join hands with UAE and KSA for ToT deal of any of these ACs?

you are right, it MAY not be wise to fully depend on just one source i guess we are not doing so! we are operating westren stuff, the F16 the AIM120 and many more. also a bonus that caomes with chines deals is that it really helps to develop a technology for our own as it wasa in the case of
JF17, Al Khalid, Baktaar Shikan and many many more!!

regards!

you are right, it MAY not be wise to fully depend on just one source i guess we are not doing so! we are operating westren stuff, the F16 the AIM120 and many more. also a bonus that caomes with chines deals is that it really helps to develop a technology for our own as it wasa in the case of
JF17, Al Khalid, Baktaar Shikan and many many more!!

regards!

Agreed but PAF hasent still been able to come out of "Falcon Spell" with 5.1 Bn $ Deal (correct me if i am wrong) we could have gone for Grippen NG with ToT we could have got 50~60 grippens (high end estimate) we could have just let falcons go through their life and switched to Grippens:what:

Agreed but PAF hasent still been able to come out of "Falcon Spell" with 5.1 Bn $ Deal (correct me if i am wrong) we could have gone for Grippen NG with ToT we could have got 50~60 grippens (high end estimate) we could have just let falcons go through their life and switched to Grippens:what:

a little bit off topic
most of the mlus are via aid..

the new block50s are paid by paf...

remember paf has a 30yr experience plus a pre-existing setup for f16s.. also they are relatively cheap..

Gripen NG offer to Dutch $~70 million systemprice each

grippen again would have american integration [engine]

grippen is a bit more hightech for paf to handle at the moment..you can see the interviews thread on this forum

edit
i meant grippen with tot.. as paf is now concentrating to be selfreliant

INTERVIEW AIRMARSHAL TANVIR
Q. Pakistan is going for F-16s. After 5 years their won't be any room left for the upgradation of F-16C/D whereas F-16 MLU will already been upgraded and cannot be upgraded further. Why Pakistan is not going for JAS-39C Grippen, in which their is room for upgradation of aircraft as well SAAB has agreed to transfer the technology to Pakistan?

Ans. As i have mentioned earlier, latest upgradation, airborne equipment and weapon system can increase the lethality of the aircraft. New variants are certainly different from their older counterparts. As far as transfer of technology is concerned, to tell you the truth, we are not in a state of handle extremely high technology used in JAS-39 Grippen, as we don't have the bases of aerial technogy.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-aviation/22396-interviews.html#post311899

even the present jf17 setup in kamra , will have capacity of 15/yr in coming 2 years... jf17 is not that extremely hightech and it took many years to train the crew plus still chinese workers would be their to instruct teach and participate.
so its difficult to jumpstart grippen ng or j10b production from day1... it take time to prepare the crew at kamra and secondly financial constraints come into play

f16 mlus and block50 are a different story, they were never with tot

Last edited:
also, grippen is a bit more hightech for paf to handle at the moment

Why do people keep saying this?
F-16C/D block 52 is just as high-tech as Gripen but that didn't stop PAF inducting a squadron. Same with the F-16AM/BM (F-16A/B with MLU) and the Erieye system.

Last edited:
Erieye is the ideal platform within the requirements of PAF and it comes cheap.
We had other options including US and Chinese design.

well thats debatable PAF's 1st choice was E-3 not erieye:what:

Back
Top Bottom