What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

The Erieye AEW&C looks like a good deal. Once the PAF absorbed the upfront logistics and maintenance costs, each additional Erieye costs like $70-90 m per system off the shelf. So, if the PAF wants additional Erieye AEW&C, it can get them at a decent cost (not that it's looking to do so, it's just an option).

For the Erieye ER, you would have to reset the entire process, and probably end up spending $200-250 m per system, easily.

In other words, there's no "upgrading," if the PAF really wants the Erieye-ER, it would need to look at expanding the AEW&C fleet even further. Since the PAF has reached its originally intended goal of 6 Erieye AEW&C plus 4 KE AWACS, I doubt it's interested in adding AEW&C.

If anything, the goal right now is probably replacing the low-level and gap filler radars with a new AESA-based design. You could also argue the case of adding stand-off EW aircraft, either through pods on JF-17s (and F-16A/B MLUs) or VIP jets.

The Erieye AEW&C looks like a good deal. Once the PAF absorbed the upfront logistics and maintenance costs, each additional Erieye costs like $70-90 m per system off the shelf. So, if the PAF wants additional Erieye AEW&C, it can get them at a decent cost (not that it's looking to do so, it's just an option).

For the Erieye ER, you would have to reset the entire process, and probably end up spending $200-250 m per system, easily.

In other words, there's no "upgrading," if the PAF really wants the Erieye-ER, it would need to look at expanding the AEW&C fleet even further. Since the PAF has reached its originally intended goal of 6 Erieye AEW&C plus 4 KE AWACS, I doubt it's interested in adding AEW&C.

If anything, the goal right now is probably replacing the low-level and gap filler radars with a new AESA-based design. You could also argue the case of adding stand-off EW aircraft, either through pods on JF-17s (and F-16A/B MLUs) or VIP jets.
So all our 10 AWACs have AESA radars?

I agree...the current quantity(6+4) of AWACS aircrafts and the range currently is enough to satisfactorily serve the intended purpose. Yes ER would of course give added advantage but the cost isn't worth the upgrade(yet)...especially when the money(if available) can be used for so many other things rn. Adding more radar coverage(ground based radars) and possibly air defense systems should definitely take more priority over AWAC upgradation at the moment. Not to mention so many other things on the wishlist of fanboys like me(rumored F16 upgrades plus new airframes, rumored J15 flankers, possibly a Mirage replacement somewhere down the line)...
If wishes were cookies...Cookie Monsters would feast :partay:

11 AWACs 7 SAAB and 4 from China. The two which were destroyed I have heard that Air Show several times and the officer clearly says the two which were damaged both were recovered and are operational. If he is not lying that we have 11 AWACS in total.
Here is the video of the show and it clearly says both were recovered. Start watching from 21st minute.

@Path-Finder @Tipu7 @Sulman Badshah @Horus @The Eagle @Windjammer @Arsalan @Dazzler @jaibi @Slav Defence

Last edited:
11 AWACs 7 SAAB and 4 from China. The two which were destroyed I have heard that Air Show several times and the officer clearly says the two which were damaged both were recovered and are operational. If he is not lying that we have 11 AWACS in total.
Here is the video of the show and it clearly says both were recovered. Start watching from 21st minute.

@Path-Finder @Tipu7 @Sulman Badshah @Horus @The Eagle @Windjammer @Arsalan @Dazzler @jaibi @Slav Defence
zabardast, hazrat @Zarvan ittay nazar whi pao zara
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/ideas-2018-from-my-camera.589663/page-9#post-12063815

84484870_510792849853753_3293093408872071168_o.jpg

I have a strategic question, how will Indian s-400 deployments affect our AWACS assets will they need to fly deeper in Pakistan reducing our detection range?

KV

Back
Top Bottom