What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

so Pak will have 6 after this order and 4 Chinese
awacs.

PAF will have 7 Saab 2000 AEW&C.

One Erieye suite was ordered in FY 2015-2016 to recover the w/o unit (10-045). Four Saab 2000 AEW&C were flying as of August 2017, with @Bilal Khan 777 describing the recovery of 1x destroyed & 2x damaged aircraft as

one aircraft written off, two aircraft damaged, port and starboard side, all vertical services, radar air intakes, and outer panels, and vertical stabilizers and outer skins, such as in any high heat damage. Detailed surveys were done by PAC, those guys are very good. Most of these repairs were done by PAF. Most structure items were manufactured locally. Techniques developed to replicate SAAB's superior manufacturing skills. Two SAAB 2000 airline birds were taken from market, also some of the requirement parts. One come in complete pieces as were required, and was used to recover one aircraft. Other 02 flew in, one was used to recover the other bird, and now is a Christmas tree for support of fleet. One complete suite was procured from SAAB. A complete flying aircraft will now be fitted locally with the complete suite. This is the complete story. Now you can plug in the holes from public releases. Doubters will remain as doubters. As ACM Sohail Aman says, it is true. Over 200 Million USD were saved from SAAB's offer. Credit goes to him for his leadership in current and previous role. First SAAB refused to help, so PAF started working on their own. Then they came crying and sold the one complete ERIEYE system for pittance. Again Credit to ACM Sohail Aman. At the end, PAF has 04 SAAB again. A slap on the face of the enemy who uses cowardly asymmetric attacks against platforms that change the ORBAT in INDOPAK or AFPAK scenario.

And, thanks to @HRK for the pics.

One Erieye suite was ordered in FY 2015-2016 to recover the w/o unit (10-045). Four Saab 2000 AEW&C were flying as of August 2017, with @Bilal Khan 777 describing the recovery of 1x destroyed & 2x damaged aircraft as

one aircraft written off, two aircraft damaged, port and starboard side, all vertical services, radar air intakes, and outer panels, and vertical stabilizers and outer skins, such as in any high heat damage. Detailed surveys were done by PAC, those guys are very good. Most of these repairs were done by PAF. Most structure items were manufactured locally. Techniques developed to replicate SAAB's superior manufacturing skills. Two SAAB 2000 airline birds were taken from market, also some of the requirement parts. One come in complete pieces as were required, and was used to recover one aircraft. Other 02 flew in, one was used to recover the other bird, and now is a Christmas tree for support of fleet. One complete suite was procured from SAAB. A complete flying aircraft will now be fitted locally with the complete suite. This is the complete story. Now you can plug in the holes from public releases. Doubters will remain as doubters. As ACM Sohail Aman says, it is true. Over 200 Million USD were saved from SAAB's offer. Credit goes to him for his leadership in current and previous role. First SAAB refused to help, so PAF started working on their own. Then they came crying and sold the one complete ERIEYE system for pittance. Again Credit to ACM Sohail Aman. At the end, PAF has 04 SAAB again. A slap on the face of the enemy who uses cowardly asymmetric attacks against platforms that change the ORBAT in INDOPAK or AFPAK scenario.

I tend to agree with you. 4 platforms are now up and running. The current order is for 3 new units making a total of 7.
A

I wonder if PAF had to work on the actual radar itself. The aircraft repair is impressive no doubt but how much if anything did PAF learn in the replication and construction of the radar. If they learned anything it will be a boon for local industry in the technical knowhow of manufacturing one the worlds premiere AESA radars. I hope the knowledge gained from this orocess can be put to good use by establishing/expanding a foundation for radar R&D and component design and manufacturing in the country.

I wonder if PAF had to work on the actual radar itself. The aircraft repair is impressive no doubt but how much if anything did PAF learn in the replication and construction of the radar. If they learned anything it will be a boon for local industry in the technical knowhow of manufacturing one the worlds premiere AESA radars. I hope the knowledge gained from this orocess can be put to good use by establishing/expanding a foundation for radar R&D and component design and manufacturing in the country.
If anything the PAF might have gained depot-level MRO for the Erieye radar. Basically, they'll know how to repair it provided they acquire the necessary parts from Sweden. Pakistan has no native electronics manufacturing base, so I don't expect any replication unless there's a mini-FAB there we don't know about.

If i remember correctly, there was SOME fabrication set up by PAC. There was news even that PAC would make smartphones when on idle. Wonder what happened to that. I remember back in 2012-2013 I was excited enough to approach PAC to buy the smartphones in bulk. I even had customers lined up.

If i remember correctly, there was SOME fabrication set up by PAC. There was news even that PAC would make smartphones when on idle. Wonder what happened to that. I remember back in 2012-2013 I was excited enough to approach PAC to buy the smartphones in bulk. I even had customers lined up.
They did manufacture some Tabs....

Figured I would share something I learned about Embraer-145 in its role as an AWAC&S. People on the forums sometimes have criticized the choice of a turboprop vs a turbofan platform for PAF.

However, the interesting thing of note is that on a patrol mission, the EMB-145 actually flies around 27,000ft and has to reduce it speed to around 170kts. In this profile it is able to attain a maximum range of 1,500nm (2,500kms) and an endurance of 8hrs.

Compare that to Saab 2000, where its patrol speed is 160kts, with a range of 2,000nm and an endurance of 9.5 hrs.

The pro for a turbofan is of course that it would reach the designated area faster whereas a turboprop being more fuel efficient, it leads to lower operating costs per hour. I think PAF in that regard made a sound decision.

Repost,

Two of the best CNCs our armed forces had, working together.

Coordination is the key, and it shows in this pic at least.

ZDK-03_cabin.jpg

PAF should seriously consider KJ500
I think although you are right but at the moment things might be fiscally problematic. PAF needs now to integrate the newer Erieyes arriving in ?2019-20. I suspect simultaneous evaluation will continue however if upgrades were not part of the original contract the Chinese will make it difficult for us financially to upgrade instead wanting us to upgrade to a newer platform as a whole. I think( and this remains purely my own thought) this maybe the reason for not seeing the upgrade materialize and further orders of Erieyes. However 2-3 yrs is enough for a supplier to sweat out with their unsold product. Once it happens PAF might negotiate and test out and get a more amicable deal.
My 2 paisas worth.
A

Well in terms of AWACS the Erieye at Kamra covers Northern/Eastern Command

The ZDK-03 at Masroor covers the Southern Command

Extra Erieye units will either supplement Northern Command or be completely dedicated to Eastern Command

That leaves Western Command for KJ500 or they can be switched to Eastern border

For AWACS usually one bird is on patrol, one on training, one under maintenance and one ready to take off, 4 is the magic number

Adding 4 x KJ500 would be huge lift for overall coverage covering Pakistan on all fronts, 4 x ZDK-03, 4 x KJ500 and 7 maybe 8 x Erieye

Also wasn’t ZDK-03 in China for testing new systems, good compliment with ZDK-03

Satellite photo just confirmed last week 47th regiment in China has KJ500 total number is now close to 16 they are really happy with this AWACS

Well in terms of AWACS the Erieye at Kamra covers Northern/Eastern Command

The ZDK-03 at Masroor covers the Southern Command

Extra Erieye units will either supplement Northern Command or be completely dedicated to Eastern Command

That leaves Western Command for KJ500 or they can be switched to Eastern border

For AWACS usually one bird is on patrol, one on training, one under maintenance and one ready to take off, 4 is the magic number

Adding 4 x KJ500 would be huge lift for overall coverage covering Pakistan on all fronts, 4 x ZDK-03, 4 x KJ500 and 7 maybe 8 x Erieye

Also wasn’t ZDK-03 in China for testing new systems, good compliment with ZDK-03

Satellite photo just confirmed last week 47th regiment in China has KJ500 total number is now close to 16 they are really happy with this AWACS

The range of one Erie stationed in air covers whole north and central Punjab another one full central punjab and in south will cover south pak plus out to see 2-300 Miles

A fleet of 12 awacs is more than enough for pak needs plus for Greece country example from Saab a fleet of 3 awacs can give one full month 24 x 7 station time for Greece

No one is flying awacs 24x7 unless war is on or threat is

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom