What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Either will be used as VIP duties OR may be PAF will use its expertise in repairing damaged aircrafts to convert this one to AWACS configuration with some customization in mind. Who knows?

Sir ACM Sohail Aman in his recent interview has said that PAF has repaired the both the damaged Erieyes locally. So we can assume that PAF has deployed all of the four again. Plus PAF has also taken the delivery of another Saab-2000 in 2016, Dont know what role it will assume.
Crew training

Saab.jpeg

The Pakistan Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman, told AFM in late April that the air arm is set to receive three new Saab 2000 Erieye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft. The first will be delivered in December and the remaining pair will arrive next year.

They will boost the PAF’s AEW&C fleet, which is currently made up of three Erieyes serving 3 Squadron and four ZDK-03s with 4 Squadron.

Saab issued a press release on May 15 announcing that it had signed an AEW&C contract worth SEK 1.35bn (£120m), with deliveries being made from 2017 until 2020. It will not disclose the customer, as is its usual policy, but it is likely this is the same deal.

Two of the PAF’s existing Erieyes were seriously damaged in a terrorist attack on PAF Base Minhas in August 2012, but have now been returned to service. Both were rebuilt by PAF personnel at PAC Kamra with support from Saab – the last aircraft returned to service in 2016.

The PAF ordered four Erieyes in 2005, and these were delivered during 2009-11. Under Project Vision, initiated in 2000, the PAF has built up its own indigenous C4I system couple with surveillance systems and surface-to-air weapons. Information datalinked from both the ZDK-03 and Erieye is merged at the PAF’s Air Defence HQ at Chaklala, to provide the PAF with a single recognised air picture. Alan Warnes

Two of the PAF’s existing Erieyes were seriously damaged in a terrorist attack on PAF Base Minhas in August 2012, but have now been returned to service. Both were rebuilt by PAF personnel at PAC Kamra with support from Saab – the last aircraft returned to service in 2016.
so there was no write off :o:

View attachment 398011
The Pakistan Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman, told AFM in late April that the air arm is set to receive three new Saab 2000 Erieye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft. The first will be delivered in December and the remaining pair will arrive next year.

They will boost the PAF’s AEW&C fleet, which is currently made up of three Erieyes serving 3 Squadron and four ZDK-03s with 4 Squadron.

Saab issued a press release on May 15 announcing that it had signed an AEW&C contract worth SEK 1.35bn (£120m), with deliveries being made from 2017 until 2020. It will not disclose the customer, as is its usual policy, but it is likely this is the same deal.

The PAF ordered four Erieyes in 2005, and these were delivered during 2009-11. Under Project Vision, initiated in 2000, the PAF has built up its own indigenous C4I system couple with surveillance systems and surface-to-air weapons. Information datalinked from both the ZDK-03 and Erieye is merged at the PAF’s Air Defence HQ at Chaklala, to provide the PAF with a single recognised air picture. Alan Warnes

Can any one confirm that both damaged AWACS were rebuilt and repaired. Because members here know about one being repaired and if this is true than after coming of three new AWACS Pakistani AWACS will be 11 in total. @Windjammer @Oscar

It's like I have a Mercedez Benz and I want a buy a BMW. Does it mean that I don't feel satisfied with the Mercedez Benz I have?@Zarvan learn how to respect
Chinese have caught up with the west in almost all the sophisticated techs, if they lag behind in some than im sure in a decade they will be ahead of even the west in many domains, dont take @Zarvan posts the wrong way, he is in absolute mad love with euro weapons, not his fault..

I think ZDK03 also have the data link compatible with F16 and Mirage. The price is double of the Erieyes. This thread is about PAF inducting Erieye, Zarvan you don't need to justify every PAF's procurement by insinuating Chinese weapon is inferior.

It has a long range radar than erieye but ESM and ECM is worst than ever as @ars

They are not satisfied with ESM, ECM on ZDK-3
Sir, seems that you have operated ZDK03 for a long time?

ZDK03 doesn't present the best AWACS tech of China, since it's bought back in year 2008/9. Don't say Erieye is better than KJ500, it only make me laugh.

Don't put it like apple or orange every time, can we have some overall consideration?

Well first question whether PAF is happy with current Chinese AWACs it has or not ?
PAF not happy with its ECM and ESM

I think ZDK03 also have the data link compatible with F16 and Mirage. The price is double of the Erieyes. This thread is about PAF inducting Erieye, Zarvan you don't need to justify every PAF's procurement by insinuating Chinese weapon is inferior.

Sir, seems that you have operated ZDK03 for a long time?

ZDK03 doesn't present the best AWACS tech of China, since it's bought back in year 2008/9. Don't say Erieye is better than KJ500, it only make me laugh.

Don't put it like apple or orange every time, can we have some overall consideration?
We don't know the capabilities of KJ-500 so comparison is not possible, I am not trying to insult Chinese products but rather than stated the fact from PAF qoutes by @Arsalan and @Dazzler, pardon me if you hurt:angel:

PAF not happy with its ECM and ESM

We don't know the capabilities of KJ-500 so comparison is not possible, I am not trying to insult Chinese products but rather than stated the fact from PAF qoutes by @Arsalan and @Dazzler, pardon me if you hurt:angel:

ZDK-03 is quite a capable package with a robust radar especially over the sea. It has more search and detection ranges than Erieye, and has been poven service friendly. Now if you get four of these for just $278 million, count your lucky stars. Comparing it with Erieye is a no brainer, Sweden has been churning AWACS's for decades and was among the first to develop an aesa based system. Even Americans couldn't do that with their sentries.

Again, for the price you paid to China, ZDKs are a great deal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom