What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

This is exactly as I recently predicted. Out of the two damaged aircraft, one would be rolled out now and other will be shortly follow. Kudos to PAC for recovery of damaged SAAB 2000s.

I AM SURE the SWEDES helped us. PAC couldn't have done it on their own.

and lastly the third one i heard has it electronic suite "cooked" due to the heat of the one that was destroyed.

and lastly the third one i heard has it electronic suite "cooked" due to the heat of the one that was destroyed.
with out saab we can repair them

SAAB, in this case, is the OEM both the aircraft, and most of its electronics. Without OEM support, no repairs are possible. Rest is all claims. OEM must have been engaged, but PAF is crafty and smart, and they must have bought a lot of material from the market for lower prices from what SAAB was quoting. Only proprietary items would have gone to SAAB.

Both aircraft were cooked with the middle one on fire. While one is recovered, the other one shall also be recovered and on its way. Again, PAC has earned it.

SAAB, in this case, is the OEM both the aircraft, and most of its electronics. Without OEM support, no repairs are possible. Rest is all claims. OEM must have been engaged, but PAF is crafty and smart, and they must have bought a lot of material from the market for lower prices from what SAAB was quoting. Only proprietary items would have gone to SAAB.

Both aircraft were cooked with the middle one on fire. While one is recovered, the other one shall also be recovered and on its way. Again, PAC has earned it.

Any changes or any major work done to the aircraft must be approved the manufacture. PAF probably submitted a repair diagram which Saab approved. It's called STC or Supplemental Type Certificate, they need that to carry out repairs. The rest is just basic sheet metal work, its no rocket science. I'm just talking about the aircraft here, not the systems.

Any damage to the radar system is a different story. That can't be repaired, you would have to replace parts to make it airworthy again.

And about the price, every shop/manufacture would quote the price twice as much to make profit. Standard practice in business. PAF just performed the repair in house and it costed them half as much since they're not making any profit on it.

I'm still skeptical about the aircraft though. I'll celebrate when i see some pictures. There are a lot baseless rumors going around on this forum

Any changes or any major work done to the aircraft must be approved the manufacture. PAF probably submitted a repair diagram which Saab approved. It's called STC or Supplemental Type Certificate, they need that to carry out repairs. The rest is just basic sheet metal work, its no rocket science. I'm just talking about the aircraft here, not the systems.

Any damage to the radar system is a different story. That can't be repaired, you would have to replace parts to make it airworthy again.

And about the price, every shop/manufacture would quote the price twice as much to make profit. Standard practice in business. PAF just performed the repair in house and it costed them half as much since they're not making any profit on it.

I'm still skeptical about the aircraft though. I'll celebrate when i see some pictures. There are a lot baseless rumors going around on this forum

I think manufacturer approval is needed when the aircraft is under warranty and thus you must do the repairs in their authorized way or when the aircraft is a commercial airliner for passengers, in which case the repair must comply with the approval given by the relevant aviation regulator.

Since these airframes were bought used and were not in commercial operation, PAF can do whatever it wants, unless of course restricted by insurance/warranty claims.

there report said that PAF has fixed one destroyed example not damaged

so this is the one burned but not completely written off other 2 were damaged

there report said that PAF has fixed one destroyed example not damaged

so this is the one burned but not completely written off other 2 were damaged

That's correct. I just posted it on a different thread. The PAF is mounting the repaired Radar onto a Saab Platform (assuming its the Test one, the 5th plane?). They've done a couple of weeks of ground testing on the repaired radar and will now be conducting flight tests once its on an airborne platform.

If the Radar works like it's supposed to, the PAF has now learned everything about the Erieye also. They can probably get parts from the international market (COTS products) and make a derivative of this Erieye themselves. It may not be 100% of the Erieye, but even 80% with 60% less budget would be a huge accomplishment. They fixed it within $ 10 million when the cost to get it fixed through Saab was around $ 40-50 million. This is truly awesome work :tup:

I think manufacturer approval is needed when the aircraft is under warranty and thus you must do the repairs in their authorized way.

The Swedes suggestd Pakistan buy a $ 20 million (ish) warranty and insurance. Pakistan refused to and suffered because of that. Otherwise, everything would've been covered. The manufacturer's OEM warranty doesn't cover terrorist attacks. It just covers equipment's working under regular circumstances. Anyway, Pakistani used their tech resources, knowledge base, technical material provided for support, ordered parts and got this puppy fixed and working internally for 1/5th of the cost. Also gained significant experience in the design of this puppy too. Good job to PAF's engineers.

After such a complex initiative, they can probably overhaul and fix these internally, even built another version with COTS products too, if all the manufacturing and mechanical equipment is available.

I think this lesson should be learn to make our own derivative of Radar as If now we have experience of SAAB hardware & architecture so we can pretty much make our own pltform.

21082946338_3c11e60196_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom