What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

I don't know when the official story will come out, and tell truth to the Pakistani people. I guess the most embarrassing moment in the history of PAF is kept quiet and lies and deception is thrown around. Remember that this action is largely speculated as State-Actor Sponsored in guide of Non-State Actors, and operations of these aircraft shall remain in secrecy and mystery moving forward, as much as you children here will allow with your super observation on small things.

The Truth Remains: During the attack in Minhas, three aircraft were parked together when they were attacked. The one in the middle got completely burned, but its burning itself gave intense heat to the ones parked on left and right, damaging them intensely. Anything else anyone tells you is far from the truth.

PAF has done intensive work in recovering both aircraft, and have succeeded, both recovering the birds and their electronic equipment. However, they are keeping the birds under wraps till all the trials are done. They will be shown to the people one by one in its due time. Meanwhile, only two aircraft are serviceable, the one that you have rightly noticed always, and the civil version. Contrary to the speculation, the civil version has not been cannibalised to fix the damaged aircraft.

There is no SAAB blacklisting for Pakistan. This is utter rubbish. SAAB is represented by Majid and very well connected and doing business and supporting their equipment across all three armed forces.
Well said, and I also recall Haris Khan from PakDef stating that the trainer Saab 2000 will eventually be integrated with the system, bringing the fleet back to the original 4. As for the blacklisting, I think in a couple of years Pakistan can ask Sweden to lift it, especially if a second democratic transition of powers occurs via elections.

Also, if the Saab program is dead or down to 1 AEW&C and is to remain this way forever, then the PAF would become deadly serious about filling that gap, and we'd begin hearing about it showing interest in additional ZDK03 or even replacement Erieye from Sweden.

It looks Like PAF has dedicated 040 Saab for public viewing. And 001 ZDK for public viewing.
No other serial number from.both AWACS fleet ever appears in Public.

Saab Erieye which Pakistan got were "heavily edited" versions without any ELINT or SIGINT capability. Only plain AWACS. No open source software,, no permission of integrating new sensors.
ZDK at much cheaper price are full blown AEW&C with ELINT , SIGINT.
Open source firmware, and adaptable source code to integrate new sensors and capabilities.
I wont be crying at PAF not using Erieye at all , for whatever reason.

Usman Ansari wrote that 3 Erieye were active with PAF

2 Active, 3rd destroyed and 4h damaged but it might get repaired as the Radar wasn't damaged well beyond limitations. But it might not get repaired as you could get better and longer range capability from the Chinese (your current AWACS). Saab on the other hands would charge north of $ 20-25 million to repair the Radar (and more if its damaged severely). But for about $ 50-60 million, you could get the entire brand spanking new Chinese radar. And the news ones they have, similar to Saab, you could get for probably 40% lesser price.

It looks Like PAF has dedicated 040 Saab for public viewing. And 001 ZDK for public viewing.

Saab Erieye which Pakistan got were "heavily edited" versions without any ELINT or SIGINT capability. Only plain AWACS. No open source software,, no permission of integrating new sensors.
Open source firmware, and adaptable source code to integrate new sensors and capabilities.
Don't forget the opportunity to actually learn the developmental process behind the technology in China, the ZDK03 could very well end up being the groundwork program for indigenous initiatives in the future. It would be awesome if we could actually build or at least integrate the AESA radars and subsystems at home with a platform of our choice.

The ZDKs are also taking hits, this time from the many gulls and crows that line up Masroor since people dump all their trash near the runway.

The ZDKs are also taking hits, this time from the many gulls and crows that line up Masroor since people dump all their trash near the runway.
How is the data link between the ZDK's and the F16's ? any compatibility issues?

How is the data link between the ZDK's and the F16's ? any compatibility issues?
If it meets the requirements of the protocol, there will be no issues. The compatibility issues that I remember from 2011 are based off trying to get the encrypt/decrypt modules to work between the two.
And our standard datalink in not Link 16. Its a hybrid of 16 and 22.

If it meets the requirements of the protocol, there will be no issues. The compatibility issues that I remember from 2011 are based off trying to get the encrypt/decrypt modules to work between the two.
And our standard datalink in not Link 16. Its a hybrid of 16 and 22.

That's why my earlier question. So it's working fine now?

Don't forget the opportunity to actually learn the developmental process behind the technology in China, the ZDK03 could very well end up being the groundwork program for indigenous initiatives in the future. It would be awesome if we could actually build or at least integrate the AESA radars and subsystems at home with a platform of our choice.
Much work has been done on AESA by NUST and some other universities.
If funding is available and need arises,an AESA can be made at home..

Well said, and I also recall Haris Khan from PakDef stating that the trainer Saab 2000 will eventually be integrated with the system, bringing the fleet back to the original 4. As for the blacklisting, I think in a couple of years Pakistan can ask Sweden to lift it, especially if a second democratic transition of powers occurs via elections.

Also, if the Saab program is dead or down to 1 AEW&C and is to remain this way forever, then the PAF would become deadly serious about filling that gap, and we'd begin hearing about it showing interest in additional ZDK03 or even replacement Erieye from Sweden.

The civil version is part of the program, where it helps pilots convert to the platform. As i mention, there is no blacklisting. SAAB sold heavily into the to DRDO program, and hence has created their own conflict of interest. SAAB continues to support PAF with its program. This is one of the most expensive radars in the world, and Pakistan does not have more money to buy the same system.

Out of the four, three remain, aircraft and radars. There are no gaps as ZDK is now fully operational and integrated. Any future airborne radars will likely be continuation of the ZDK03 program.

Much work has been done on AESA by NUST and some other universities.
If funding is available and need arises,an AESA can be made at home..

Wish it was that simple, the the Koreans would do it before us.

We go what we paid for.

Incorrect. the SAABs came equipped as a full package. the ELINT,SIGINT. They were not edited versions.

The problem though was that SAAB clearly said NO when we wished to integrate them with our Chinese fighters. The LINK 16s cannot work with Chinese fighters.

In your response there was a project initiated for connecting Chinese AEWC with F-16 and in this regard the idea was to share data on a common ground base station first then transmit it to F-16 dont know the current status but i do remember there was some lag in data .

Resource constraints mean that inspite of interest we will not be going down the street. Our need is in small numbers, we will always be buying off the shelf products. I think we will specifically get on the smaller AESA bandwagon and gain from that. However there will be no free lunch on that either from the Chinese and they will be looking at making money out of it. On this front however, there is merit in spending some money.

Back
Top Bottom