What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Can anybody tell me what happened to this news??
Pakistan – E-2C Hawkeye 2000 Airborne Early Warning Suite for P-3s

If I remember a discussion correctly with a previous Pak gov't official, this didn't go through as Pakistan decided towards the Chinese ZDK-03 option. One reason was cost of course, the second was that Pakistan was hoping to somehow get TOT for these as these were built primarily for Pakistan's use and they were customized (2 AESA's vs. 3 standard in the Chinese AWACS).
ZDK-03 apparently has a strong maritime capability in addition to land and over the horizon scanning capability and of course, the integration with the JFT. Due to its maritime capability, you'll see it a lot around Karachi for PN related ops. However, I personally believe ZDK-03 to be inferior to the Hawkeye and the Erieye.

If I remember a discussion correctly with a previous Pak gov't official, this didn't go through as Pakistan decided towards the Chinese ZDK-03 option. One reason was cost of course, the second was that Pakistan was hoping to somehow get TOT for these as these were built primarily for Pakistan's use and they were customized (2 AESA's vs. 3 standard in the Chinese AWACS).
ZDK-03 apparently has a strong maritime capability in addition to land and over the horizon scanning capability and of course, the integration with the JFT. Due to its maritime capability, you'll see it a lot around Karachi for PN related ops. However, I personally believe ZDK-03 to be inferior to the Hawkeye and the Erieye.

Four aircraft @ 278 million $, the cost/ performance ratio that ZKD-03 brings, is a bargain. More improvements at a fraction of cost increment, as envisaged by both PAF and CETC officials, considering the fourth plane radar and sensor improvements, it offers some advantages that Swedes could never provide.

Does China engineers have deep experiences or more knowledge on Erieye, E-2 Hawkeye, or Russia A-50? How reliable ?

I want to ask because we spent money on Chinese AWACs quality.

10534126_757459474318314_325653863445990726_o.jpg

Do you think the zdk03 or some other chinese AWAC can fill the gap of the 2 lost saab 2000s? from the sounds of it the zdk03 doesn't seem all that bad.

I believe yes because we didn't see any fuss at our side to buy more copies of Saab's and when it comes to ZDK03 I believe all of this Chinese AWACS technology linked to Israel under the table or how they would be able to master it in such a short period of time. That is absolutely right that US of A didn't allow Israel to sale their AWACS to china but they have no control over them if they transfer the technology secretly or even assist them to make one.

Just my thoughts from previous experience :). They need money for dirty work and viola they have some pretty legitimate technology to sale and buyers are keen to buy their tech.

Last edited:
Just witnessed a ZDK-03 flying over Clifton. May be shifting from Faisal to Masroor, my cell was in my training bag plus I was parking my car so couldn't capture the scene. But I noticed one thing, the dome appeared to be stationary, not rotating.

Saab 2000 of PAF:

J-019 (training/Liaison) 1st to be delivered in '08

10049 (Erieye) Del 09

10025 (Erieye) Del '10 (destroyed)

10040 (Erieye) Del '10

10045 (Erieye) Del '11
10027 (Erieye configured) Never bought '09

10031 (Erieye configured) Never bought '09

I believe yes because we didn't see any fuss at our side to buy more copies of Saab's and when it comes to ZDK03 I believe all of this Chinese AWACS technology linked to Israel under the table or how they would be able to master it in such a short period of time. That is absolutely right that US of A didn't allow Israel to sale their AWACS to china but they have no control over them if they transfer the technology secretly or even assist them to make one..

Before the US really put its foot down and stopped the Israelis, they had already been working with the Chinese for years on these projects. So a LOT of know how and technical things had been discussed and I am sure some designs even shared. So its not illogical to guess that these techs link up to Israeli and US tech in some capacity although built with Chinese technology infrastructure. The J-10 is considered an advanced copy of Israel's Lavi project from the same era and so are a couple of Chinese UAV designs.

Can anybody tell me what happened to this news??

Quote:

Pakistan – E-2C Hawkeye 2000 Airborne Early Warning Suite for P-3s

WASHINGTON, December 07, 2006 - The Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Pakistan for refurbishment and modification of three excess P-3 aircraft with the E-2C HAWKEYE 2000 Airborne Early Warning (AEW) Suite, as well as associated equipment and services. The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $855million.

The Government of Pakistan has requested a possible sale for refurbishment and modification of three excess P-3 aircraft with the E-2C HAWKEYE 2000 Airborne Early Warning (AEW) Suite, spare and repairs parts, simulators, support equipment, personnel training and training equipment, publications and technical data, system software development and installation, ground/flight testing of new systems and system modifications, U.S. Government and contractor engineering and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support. The estimated cost is $855 million.

This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a friendly country that has been and continues to be an important force for economic progress in South Asia and a partner in the global war on terrorism. The command-and-control capabilities of these aircraft will improve Pakistan’s ability to restrict the littoral movement of terrorists along Pakistan’s southern border and ensure Pakistan’s overall ability to maintain integrity of its borders.

Pakistan intends to use the proposed equipment to develop an effective air defense network for its naval forces and provide an AEW surveillance and enhanced command, control, and communications capability. The addition of the AEW suites will provide Pakistan with search surveillance, and control capability in support of maritime interdiction operations. These aircraft will also increase Pakistan’s ability to support the U.S. Operation Enduring Freedom operations, and provide anti-ship and anti-submarine warfare capabilities; and a control capability over land against transnational terrorists and narcotics smugglers. The modernization will enhance the capabilities of the Pakistani Navy and support its regional influence and meet its legitimate self-defense needs. Pakistan will have no difficulty absorbing the AEW platform into its armed forces.

The proposed sale of this equipment and support will not affect the basic military balance in the region. The prime contractor will be Northrop Grumman Corporation, St. Augustine, Florida and Lockheed-Martin, Greenville, South Carolina. There are no known offset agreements proposed in connection with this potential sale. Implementation of this proposed sale will not require the assignment of any U.S. Government and contractor representatives to Pakistan. There will be no adverse impact on U.S. defense readiness as a result of this proposed sale. This notice of a potential sale is required by law; it does not mean that the sale has been concluded.

Unquote:

E-2c Hawkeye 2000 Airborne Early Warning Suite For P-3s - Navy Forum - Pakistani Defence Forum

Did we get them or deal was cancelled??
Never happened.
Araz

@monitor.
Please give credit to the poster whose post you have copied.
It is the courteous thing to do.
araz

Never happened.
Araz

@monitor.
Please give credit to the poster whose post you have copied.
It is the courteous thing to do.
araz

yes i should i always did that but this time forget to do that :hitwall: any way it was from H khan from pakdef, could not edit as time passed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom