What's new

Pakistan's acquisition of the U-214

Sorry, what I meant was that the U 212 is the most advanced version of this sub, although the U214 has similarities in techs, it is mainly based on the older U209 series. That is also a reason why the older U 209s can be upgraded (although not that easy as HDW stated before) to 214 level. So if they lacks these tiles (can't confirm it now), it might be the reason that they are available only for U212 versions.

Any links to your claim that type-209 can be upgraded to Type-214? Has HDW only offered this super deal to only BR Type-209? Btw Type-214 is evolved from Type-209 not based on it.

ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2009

Jane's Defence Weekly

Pakistan asks Germany to ease sales restrictions

Jon Grevatt Jane's Asia-Pacific Industry Reporter

Key Points
Pakistan has urged Germany to ease its defence export restrictions

The move is linked to Islamabad's pending purchase of HDW submarines

Pakistan has called on Germany to ease restrictions on defence-related sales that the European country has imposed on Islamabad for more than a decade.

Defence officials discussed easing the restrictions during Pakistan Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani's visit to Berlin on 1 December, according to Pakistan's state-run news service, the Associated Press of Pakistan.

The government-operated news agency said talks between the two sides focused on enhancing defence co-operation in "military training, defence procurement and production".

Quoting a "senior Pakistan embassy official", the report added: "There has been some improvement but still a ban continues on acquisition of dual-purpose equipment and Pakistan is seeking to get it lifted."

Spokespersons from the German and Pakistani governments were not immediately available to comment.

As well as imposing a restriction on exports to Pakistan, Germany has implemented a similar policy with Thailand following political unrest in the Southeast Asian country in 2008. This ban has forced a delay in the supply of Ukrainian-manufactured BTR-3E1 armoured personnel carriers to the Royal Thai Army as engines for the vehicles were originally intended to be sourced from Germany.

Defence export bans were imposed on Pakistan by Germany and several other Western nations in 1998 over allegations that Islamabad was producing nuclear weapons and carrying our nuclear tests.

However, many of the countries - including the US - lifted their sanctions in 2001. A spokesperson from another of the countries that maintains the ban, Canada, told Jane's in May this year that the country had "no plans to lift restrictions on the arms sales ban with Pakistan".

Although not confirmed by either government, the meetings in Berlin are likely to have focused on easing restrictions that are almost certainly affecting Islamabad's efforts to secure the purchase of three Type 214 platforms - produced by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (HDW) - to meet its next-generation submarine requirement.

The government news agency's reference to talks related to "defence procurement and production" is also a clear indication that the purchase of the submarines was on the agenda.

A source from Pakistan's state-owned Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works (KSEW) confirmed to Jane's in October that the Pakistan government had selected the HDW Type 214 over the DCNS Scorpène and that contractual negotiations were continuing.

The source also confirmed that all three Type 214 vessels would be built under licence by KSEW following extensive technology transfer. The first submarine is expected to be delivered to the Pakistan Navy 64 months after signing the contract, with the remainder to follow within 12 months.

i am wondering if this still is one of the issues besides the availability of funds?

I really do hope they pick the U-214 then Turkey and Pak will have the same new subs :tup:

Maybe we could even install the Turkish electronic and weapon systems that we will be installing on ours for the Pakistani subs.

Isn't India about to unveil an RFP for a line of subs costing 12-13 billion dollars? I am pretty sure the U214 will be a contender. If so then the Pakistani deal will probably be in jeopardy.

Last edited:
Really? Can someone tell me what is current status of this deal of U-214. Please ..:(

I guess we just giving us hope and trying to make us happy by bringing up the old news...:woot::hitwall:
I guess the ice didnt melt yet cuz On the background of the deal (our dearest of all and best friend)US is intervening...negatively...He is doing the same favor like he did when we were trying to get Nuclear Reactor from France in early 90's..We cant find a best friend like US anywhere:lol:

Last edited:
Isn't India about to unveil an RFP for a line of subs costing 12-13 billion dollars? I am pretty sure the U214 will be a contender. If so then the Pakistani deal will probably be in jeopardy.

IN has chosen scorpene!

I think we need to forget about German subs and make 10 Agostas

And just get chinese high end subs

no i think navy still wants U 214 and not giving up and govt dont wanna buy it hope new govt will do something in this regard

I think we need to forget about German subs and make 10 Agostas

And just get chinese high end subs

Recently we haven't seen any progress been made regarding the finalization of any sub deal. The wait has become a bit long and disappointing.
I don't think so that we should go for Agosta any more; we need to have some better frontline platforms. We can't compare this with the situation that "As the meat is scarce so better to eat vegetables."

We want the U214, the Germans have in place restrictions arising from Pakistan going nuclear - it may be that it will not be politically possible to undo the restrictions from the point of view of the Germans -- However, there is no absolute or dire urgency for the induction of newer submarines --- There is, however, a absolute necessity to refine our requirements, develop domestic production capabilty of key technologies and components, even in licence production and the development of training and doctrine -- The Pak Navy is destined to be a very different, a exponentially more lethal force in the near to mid future -- the world doesnot revolve around the the Germans nor the French -- we should always opt for quality and if that quality can be produced domestically, all the better.

Muse bhai in our position I don't think we can produce equipment that will have the qualitative edge we seek over our rivals and traditional arms suppliers. In my opinion, quantity has its own quality. That is a parameter I know we can work with. Our Air Force's doctrine is becoming the same (JF-17) and our mlitary was running on this practice for a while now. We can't always have that F-16 type ace card up our sleeves amidst such a geo-political situation against Pakistan's interests.

Back
Top Bottom