What's new

Pakistani Scientists developing Nano-Transistors

Some folks say that the Mech and Electrical job market is very very saturated in Pakistan.

The only thing going UP is Computer software or telecom. People choose the telecom stream in Electrical engg. As for Mech, the way to go is power sector or oil and gas.

Some folks told me that about 70% of the people who graduated from the top unis in Pakistan in Elec or Mech remained unemployed for the first year, while the ones in Computer software even from the 3rd Tier unis got a job straight up.

Then the nanotech field is really blossoming, especially in Japan and US and Europe. It is practically non-existent in this part of the world, but forecasts do think that it is very promising. A bit like telecom and software, a couple of decades back, the telecom and software industry was non-existent, but then it just jumped up.

smileys-yes-and-no-068329.gif

Some folks say that the Mech and Electrical job market is very very saturated in Pakistan.

The only thing going UP is Computer software or telecom. People choose the telecom stream in Electrical engg. As for Mech, the way to go is power sector or oil and gas.

Some folks told me that about 70% of the people who graduated from the top unis in Pakistan in Elec or Mech remained unemployed for the first year, while the ones in Computer software even from the 3rd Tier unis got a job straight up.

Then the nanotech field is really blossoming, especially in Japan and US and Europe. It is practically non-existent in this part of the world, but forecasts do think that it is very promising. A bit like telecom and software, a couple of decades back, the telecom and software industry was non-existent, but then it just jumped up.

You are totally right, Elec engineering market in Pakistan is totally saturated. 70-80 percent people remain unemployed for first year and 10-18 person people who got employed as software engineers or in Networking field, only 1 percent got in to field of Elec engineer. Embedded systems/ Control systems/ Chip designing and manufacturing is very limited in Pakistan. You can count such firms/corporations on your fingers. There is mentor graphics ( Private sector Firm) , CARE ( where @Oscar worked), GIDS( KRL), Kamra( PAC). PAEC, NESCOM, and 5-10 more private/public sector firms/corporations. So There is slim chance of getting in on pure merit, references play big role in 90 percent cases

Where as software development field is booming, Android, HTML, PHP, VB, C/C++, JAVA. Software engineering, android development, designing and making large software. There are many software houses, where talented programmers are always in demand. If person knows/holds firm grip on multiple software languages. He can get a decent job of 40/50 K right away after
graduation

Then comes the field of Networks

Last edited by a moderator:
You are totally right, Elec engineering market in Pakistan is totally saturated. 70-80 percent people remain unemployed for first year and 10-18 person people who got employed as software engineers or in Networking field, only 1 percent got in to field of Elec engineer. Embedded systems/ Control systems/ Chip designing and manufacturing is very limited in Pakistan. You can count such firms/corporations on your fingers. There is mentor graphics ( Private sector Firm) , CARE ( where @Oscar worked), GIDS( KRL), Kamra( PAC). PAEC, NESCOM, and 5-10 more private/public sector firms/corporations. So There is slim chance of getting in on pure merit, references play big role in 90 percent cases

Where as software development field is booming, Android, HTML, PHP, VB, C/C++, JAVA. Software engineering, android development, designing and making large software. There are many software houses, where talented programmers are always in demand. If person knows/holds firm grip on multiple software languages. He can get a decent job of 40/50 K right away after
graduation

Then comes the field of Networks

The nanotech and material sciences is also blooming in defence industries. NESCOM, SUPARCO, PMO etc.

In truth, all the research in Pakistan is going on in defence industries...

But one thing still puzzles me...why do unis ruin careers and lives of people?

The Electrical faculty is on top in all unis, followed by mech. While Software is bottom, when a guy with a merit of 110 gets Computer Software, the folks around him curse him...but in reality he is the most beneficial...while out of a class of 100, only around 20 get jobs in elec.

Why do universities create this sort of hype?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer chip is already having millions of nano transistors....what are you inventing :D

The nanotech and material sciences is also blooming in defence industries. NESCOM, SUPARCO, PMO etc.

In truth, all the research in Pakistan is going on in defence industries...

But one thing still puzzles me...why do unis ruin careers and lives of people?

The Electrical faculty is on top in all unis, followed by mech. While Software is bottom, when a guy with a merit of 110 gets Computer Software, the folks around him curse him...but in reality he is the most beneficial...while out of a class of 100, only around 20 get jobs in elec.

Why do universities create this sort of hype?

After All they have to generate revenue to meet their expenses.

What do you mean?

With HEC fundings becoming scarce, Universities have to generate revenue from somewhere so to upgrade/expand their facilities. So, they do have to create a hype of certain things to lure people in, Like in Comsats, they have started a program call, "Dual Degree" where they would give degree of Lancaster at passing out and it's fees is 1 Lakh per semester.

UET Lahore is making partnerships with Huwaie and ZTECH

FAST is famous for it's computer science program.

NUST and GIKI, naam hi kaafi hai

LUMS, built it's hype through it's BBA program.

Computer chip is already having millions of nano transistors....what are you inventing :D

Contemporary transistors are silicon based, however Pakistani scientist are working to develop nano transistors that are Germanium based--Germanium allows the electrons to flow easier in the lattice and current.

Contemporary transistors are silicon based, however Pakistani scientist are working to develop nano transistors that are Germanium based--Germanium allows the electrons to flow easier in the lattice and current.

But the problem is that we cannot even make the basic chips, let alone the advanced ones that would benefit from this type of research. That is why I asked the question earlier.

I did my Bachelors's in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from a small regional engineering college in India, and now doing MS in Electrical, and specialization in Nanoelectronics and semiconductor physics, from a Tier 1 US National University.

Nanotech prospects in India (or Pak, i really shouldn't comment on Pakistan's infra because i don't have any idea on it) is next to nil. Apart from researches going on in Universities, which they fail commercialize for monetary and industrialize benefits. While, here in US, there is constant interest from private entities and venture capitalists.

Fabrication in Nanoscale is a tough job. It's not about inventing it, it about showcasing the skill set and knowledge they harnessed.

Nanotech prospects in India (or Pak, i really shouldn't comment on Pakistan's infra because i don't have any idea on it) is next to nil. Apart from researches going on in Universities, which they fail commercialize for monetary and industrialize benefits. While, here in US, there is constant interest from private entities and venture capitalists.

Yup...the market is on the UP in US and Japan (or Far East I should say).

NUST and GIKI, naam hi kaafi hai

Lol yeah.

LUMS, built it's hypre through it's BBA program.

LUMS is also offering an electrical engg degree...some say it's the best in Pakistan.

But the problem is that we cannot even make the basic chips, let alone the advanced ones that would benefit from this type of research. That is why I asked the question earlier.

Manufacturing transistors isn't a monumental task, get over it once research is complete then manufacturing at large scale can be the next phase, first you need something new to manufacture.

Manufacturing transistors isn't a monumental task, get over it once research is complete then manufacturing at large scale can be the next phase, first you need something new to manufacture.

If it is not, then why have not been able to do it till now? For us, it IS a monumental task.

And besides, building a skyscraper starting at the 31 st floor on upwards without building the first 30 is not going to be very successful.

Back
Top Bottom