Pakistani products selling like hot cakes at India trade fair

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistani products selling like hot cakes at India trade fair

2010-11-16.

New Delhi, Nov 16 (IANS) Buyers are thronging the Pakistan pavilion at the 30th India International Trade Fair which has over 15 stalls ranging from fabrics to chandeliers to jade and marble products.

Currently open for business visitors only, the trade fair kickstarted Sunday and will open for the public Friday. Hall 18, which houses the international stalls, sees the maximum people at the Pakistan pavilion.

'Buyers are showing keen interest for painted glass chandeliers and lamps with bronze finish, wall hangings and decorative pieces in painted glass. The prices range from Rs.600-10,000. Some more expensive pieces are also there,' Hussain, one of the stall owners, told IANS.

This time, the stalls selling fabrics have overpowered the famous jade and marble stalls. 'The jade and marble products are less in number,' Hussain said.

Most of Pakistan's fabric stalls offer the traditional handmade kurta called 'Kanchidi', with thread and mirror work all over it. The stall owners hope that it will be bought by a lot of buyers in the general public as well.

'A number of designers have bought the Kanchidis from us - stitched and unstitched. The kurtas start from Rs.1,200. The hand embroidered shawls and bedcovers are also selling like hotcakes,' said the owner of Paras stall.

He added that maximum sales take place during the business days.

'Once it opens for the public, it gets very crowded. We hardly get time to show anything properly. And with people thronging every stall in huge numbers, there's hardly any time and place for anybody to give a proper look to the materials on display,' he added.

The fabric stalls like Laila art, Couture collection and Indus art has chiffon saris and salwar kameez in pastel colours - mostly with heavy silver embroidery.

'The saris from these stalls are often bought by Meena Bazaar sari store,' Nazia, one of the stall owner, told IANS.

Also, a range of dress materials with Phulkari work got all the attention from the ladies.

'I bought three Phulkari saris and two dupattas for myself. Though it cost a bomb, I have no regrets. They are worth it,' said Kamini Malhotra who owns a boutique in Hauz Khas.

But the footwear stall which has the traditional 'jooti' has a weary look with its owners hoping for a few customers.

In no mood to address any queries, one of the stall owners, Firoze said: 'We have better business when it is open for all. The public is more keen on buying jootis than the business visitors. We are more accessible to public as the prices are affordable - starting from Rs.300.'

The jade and marble products, which had been a favourite among Delhiites in the earlier fairs, do not have separate stalls this year.

'This year, I don't see much of jade products, though I have bought a lot of jade stone show pieces. It's exquisite and I was hoping to buy more. The fabrics and coloured glass paintings are in majority,' said Ramesh Dutt, a collector of jade marble memorabilia.

Not surprising at all.

Unlike Chinese, Pakistani products have a great reputation in India.

:tup:

This is a good opportunity to realize that there are immense interests in products across the border. Looks like the ladies are having a nice time finding the irresistible 'deals'.

I wish we could see more free trade between the two countries.

We use Shan masala's in Toronto as well, best quality for sure. Some Pakistani products can compete with anyone in terms of quality. Its good to see such interaction happening, its the people at the ground level who can make a huge difference in the longer run.

Excellent news. Personally, I always look for National and Shan masalas- used to get them in Vancouver, but they are not widely available in India. If they entered the market, they'd outsell all other meat masalas.

Hope bilateral trade increases!

Lets hope these products become more accessible to markets all across India. I suppose Indian products also have good demand in Pakistan.

Good news indeed..! I was there last year but i go to tarde fair mainly to watch new and luxary cars and super bike's, but now i will visit trade fair on saturday and thanks for this thread, now i will visit pakistani pavalion for sure ....:cheers:

Lets hope these products become more accessible to markets all across India. I suppose Indian products also have good demand in Pakistan.

Indian Ayurvedic Products.............ladies will kill over them.........

Onyx from Pakistan is very popular - lamps etc.

Last edited:
I am not surprised....on expected lines

Onyx from Pakis very popular - lamps etc.

You do realize that "Pak*i" is a racist, derogatory term used for Pakistanis/Indians/Bangladeshis by British ultra-nationalist skinheads ?

India & Pakistan is having such a rich cuisine which should be aggressively marketed throughout the world. I am sure with proper brand value creation and strategic marketing it can be in same place as French & Chinese cuisine. Most of the kebabs will score higher than the French steaks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom