What's new

Pakistani Models And Actresses

HSY

Collection:
Knight

hsy-1521021682.jpg

Needless to say, the class couturier cast a spell on everyone once again with Knight – a beautifully detailed collection boasting of exquisite beadwork and delicate ornaments attached to sleek, all-black silhouettes. And the best part was, that team HSY used just local materials for the entire collection.

Supermodel Mehreen Syed was seen walking the ramp to funky retro music in a fierce, shimmery red gown. But the real showstopper was HSY’s mother who graced the event in support of her son.

With Knight, HSY paid homage to the powerful women not only in his life but also around the world. As he sees it, women are going into battle for change and raising their voice more than ever before. In other words, they are their own ‘knights’ in HSY’s shining armour.

Fahad Hussayn

Collection: The Gilded Wastelands

fahadhussayn-1521021715.jpg

This line comprised of Fahad’s luxury, novelty-couture and signature bespoke menswear. The Gilded Wastelands consisted of silk thread embroidery interlaced with delicate hand work, minimal embellishment and surface ornamentation. Net, organza, tissue, and chiffon added the fresh look that Fahad had hoped for this Spring/Summer collection. Amna Ilyas stole the show in a floor-length embellished gold gown, adorned with feather details.

Zonia Anwaar

Collection: ODISHA

zoniaanwaar-1521021737.jpg

Zonia has always designed clothes for real life. Her creations are fuss free, both on and off the ramp. This season, she presented ODISHA which is inspired by one of the world’s most primitive Indian tribes, known for its multihued geometric Ikat patterns.

ODISHA featured sleek tailored pieces alongside boxy blouses and summer jackets, with intricate beading, embroidery and Ikat-inspired cold prints. With a colour palette comprising of mikado yellow, autumnal amber and bright pink hues, the line consisted of summer coats, constructive crop tops, bold prints, notch collars and lots and lots of layering.

Republic by Omar Farooq

Collection: Manga

omarfarooq2-1521020281.jpg

Omar Farooq caters to stylish men. His approach to designing includes experimenting with silhouettes and fabric uncommon to traditional menswear.

This season, Omar chose to draw inspiration from the Japanese sequential art, popularly known as Manga. The collection had a very relaxed, summery vibe with jackets, tailored pants and several pieces of knitwear. Kudos to Omar for the excellent execution of the outfits on the ramp!

Mona Imran

Collection: Ode to Picasso

monaa-1521021756.jpg

Mona attempted to pay homage to Pablo Picasso through her work. Unfortunately, the collection did little to commemorate one of the greatest artists the world has ever seen.

Even though Mona incorporated Picasso’s work into her ensembles, the collection appeared dull and boring. Perhaps using the beautiful imagery in a more imaginative way, with better cuts and silhouettes that blend with their theme would have served more purpose than the out of place frills and chiffon overlays she had opted for. Sisters, Sarah Khan and Noor Khan walked the ramp for the designer.

Rang Rasiya

Collection: Saccharine

rangrasiya1-1521020039.jpg

The lawn brand, known for its feminine prints, presented Saccharine. But truth be told, it didn’t need to go so heavy on its designs as their beautiful and simpler patterned prints would have done better.

The fabrics used, ranged from jacquards, silk, chiffon, net and lawn in long, flowy summer jackets, asymmetrical hems and contemporary silhouettes. But the strength of the collection was its strong colour palette of peaches, vanilla yellows, lime and rose quartz.

So Kamal

Collection: Boho Allure

sokamal-1521021801.jpg

So Kamal showcased Boho Allure: a design travelogue fused with Persian tapestry, Indian patterns and some Moroccan essence. The collection came in rich jacquards with self-prints, silks and chiffon draperies; a fusion of boho and western styles.

Also, this season, So Kamal is taking the runway collection from the high street to stores, making it accessible to everyone.

KHAS

Collection: Premium Collection 2018

khas2-1521020207.jpg

Premium Collection 2018 is inspired by the bond between nature and modern lifestyles. The ensembles come in lawn, chiffon and silk with pearls and stone embellishments. But the menswear proved more of an attention-grabber as some of its waistcoats were super trendy and classic.

Rouge

Collection: Fluer Du Spring

rouge-1521021817.jpg

Fluer Du Spring is a vibrant lawn collection including florals and geometrical patterns with embroideries on each item. Rouge experimented by mixing various colours and prints to create pieces which truly stood out.

One such piece was the orange and black sari that Sabeeka Imam wore. Another was the black/white striped sari with a long, tasseled cape and embroidered roses.

Pakistan is ready for change: Mahira Khan

1662727-mahira-1521280230-125-640x480.jpg

An unapologetic rebel in her choices, Mahira Khan represents a new generation of Pakistani women.

The 33-year-old’s latest offering Verna released in November last year, after its fair share of controversies and bans. The film – which followed the story of a rape victim her quest for revenge – proved to be a bold condemnation of the way Pakistani society victimises women. “I was nervous about how it would work as a film as well as the performances but about the subject matter? Never, because I stand by it,” Mahira said, in a recent interview with The Guardian.

1635997-mahirakhan-1518709471.jpg

PHOTO: FILE

“There were certain aspects of the story that people did not agree with, but not about the core message of the film. Yes, Verna was going to get banned because of the decision of a small minority, but [it] did not get banned because of the majority who stood up for the film. To me, that is victory,” she added.

Verna coincided with the #MeToo campaign. And not long after the film was released, Pakistan was shaken up by the rape and subsequent murder of seven-year-old Zainab Ansari in Kasur. “It was a breaking point for society,” says Khan. “The whole nation came out on to the streets. Everyone was angry and wanted justice. There is not enough education, and we are still shaming victims and talking about the issue in terms of family honour. Pakistan is ready for change.”

Post Verna, it was inevitable that Mahira would become a role model in the country. “Like every woman, I do have a #MeToo story; but if somebody wants to share something personal, they should do it when they want to, not because there is a movement or someone else is talking about it,” she stated.

1652393-mahira-1520331680.png

PHOTO: MAHIRA KHAN/INSTAGRAM

Mahira credits her opinion to her upbringing. “My parents were like these hippies almost; free-spirited but also strict – which seems like a weird dynamic – but it worked,” she shared. “They allowed us to do whatever we wanted, as long as we understood we were responsible for our choices and the consequences.”

The Raees star also spoke of her time studying in the US, which she describes as a pivotal experience. “I lived the life that a lot of American kids do, away from home at 17, working two jobs. Your perception of things changes. I came from a very safe, closeted environment. There, I was exposed to people from all walks of life; it made me a more tolerant person.”

Being a divorced single mother, Mahira describes herself as “an anomaly in Pakistan” and hopes to break the glass ceiling for other women. “We are very quick to make generalisations about people, like all Muslims are terrorists, all Pakistani women are oppressed, all Pakistani men are abusing them, etc. The only reason people do that is because they don’t care enough to take the time to find out more. It’s all, ‘Did you hear someone was raped in Pakistan? Did you know the rape statistics in India? Did you know the guy who bombed that place was Muslim?’ And a whole country is judged based on that,” she added.

mahira-1521111322.jpg

PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/ MAHIRA KHAN

“Because of this, I feel that I don’t just represent me, I represent every woman in Pakistan. I may not wear a hijab or have made the same choices, but there is a whole spectrum of women in Pakistan and I represent them,” concluded the star.

1660523-mahiraa-1521093786-342-640x480.jpg

Mahira Khan is currently in London to attend the UK Asian Film Festival. The event commenced yesterday and will go on till March 25.

The actor was presented the Contribution to Film and Activism Award at the opening ceremony last night.

1652925-image-1520363686-742-640x480.jpg

With Orient Textiles

Nikhar Riaz

1-1520363441.jpg

Nikhar is hot to trot in her stylish Orient lawn ensemble. We love her take on belting up the kameez and dupatta – don’t miss the pant details. Style diva alert!

Samira Dada

5-1520363473.jpg

Samira styles her lawn kameez with some super cropped pants and a chunri dupatta. All eyes on those tie-up Aquazzura heels. Way to go girl!

Marium G Riaz

2-1520363448.jpg

Marium is oh so feminine in this classic kurta styled with boot cut pants. The Chloé bag is the perfect accessory to rock with this look. T Edit loves!

Maira Pagganwala

3-1520363454.jpg

Maira puts her best foot forward in a monochrome lawn outfit. The angharka styled shirt and flared pants give the ensemble a western and traditional vibe! We love the Chanel bag and sunnies which finish her look perfectly!

Anum Teli

4-1520363462.jpg

Anum looks fab in a floral cape worn over an all-black top and pants. We absolutely love how she has kept her accessories to a bare minimum with pointed metallic heels and a long beaded necklace. Understated yet so classy!

HSY
Top picks: The multi-tiered dress paired with a coat worn by Amna Ilyas, the androgynous basic cotton kurtas, the lightweight cotton wraps, the black belted kurta worn by Sadaf Kanwal.

5abe2bd03c52d.jpg

‘Luxury’ has always been HSY’s middle name but not this time. With ‘Musafir’, the designer chose to travel right out of his comfort zone, shedding the baggage of embroideries, and walking out on a new route. The clothes were cotton-based, fuss-free, embellishment-free, intrinsically androgynous and utilitarian. Making the basic silhouettes stand out were the accessories: wooden beaded neck-pieces and handbags in distressed leather.

5abe2967c9718.jpg

With temperatures soaring, an all-white collection can easily be a hit but Unbeatable didn’t quite manage. Their lineup could have had been so much better.

Back
Top Bottom