What's new

Pakistani Marines!!

we-are-soldiers-Marines.jpg

Hello all,

Most of the pics posted are of SSGN as well as Marines. As already covered in most including this forums, I'll just be repeating whats been covered. Suffice to say the two are separate units within PN. Marines first created as a single battalion in 1971 and disbanded a year later following their capture in what was then East Pakistan after the 71 war.

During its short existence in 1971, they were commanded by Commander Hamid Khalid, who later retired as a Rear Admiral in the 1990's. He was instrumental in initiating the process for re-raising the Mairnes in 1990. Much as Admiral T K Khan is seen as the founding father of the SSGN, Rear Admiral H Khalid was seen as a similar figure for the Marines, although his contribution was shortlived following disbanding in 1972. Many of the other officers serving in the original Marines battalion in 1971, went on to become senior officers in the top brass.

From its re-raising in 1990, the Marines are commanded by a SSGN officer, except on two occassions. Their primary role is to provide point defence for naval installations and interests particularly Sir Creek and includes air defence. Their official role is non offensive, at least not in the conventional sense of amphibious ops. They do not use any heavy armor/equipment and are equipped with heavy calibre weapons and seen as a quick reaction troop. In addition to the usual G3/AUG/SMG's etc, they are equipped with Mistral MANPADS, RPG's as their primary weapons. To aid them with their mission, they are equipped with hovercrafts & assault boats acquired from UK & Thailand respectively. The former was first inducted in Nov 2004 and the latter in June 2005.

All the pics of naval troops jumping out of planes, helos or boarding vessels posted in this thread are of SSGN and not Marines. Its not the latters role - just yet.

Last edited:

This picture is for Pakistan Marine Academy, an institution that trains engineers and nautical officers for serving in the merchant marine shipping lines, PNSC being one of them.

It has nothing to do with Pakistan Marines, the naval assault group.

I know because my father attended this Marine Academy, and is an engineer.

This is one branch of our military that no one pays attention to. Throughout history, marines have played a vital role in deciding the course of war, let it be Normandy or Iwo Jima. I know, we dont have resources as the US but i think we can do a better job in this field. Does anyone know the current status of our marines, i.e. personnel, equipment, vehicles... feel free to share pics

Just a small correction - US Marines did not take part in the Normandy Invasion other than observation units, if any. Most of the fighting was done by regular infantry, or Airborne/Glider borne troops with sprinkling of US Rangers, Royal Marine and Royal Commando units in Omaha, Utah, Sword, Juno, and Gold beaches etc.

Back
Top Bottom