What's new

Pakistani Identity's Claim On Indian Heritage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with some of the posts here. I myself am not a huge fan of the partition as it just led to further problems. But again my grandparents migrated from India to Pakistan and the partition I would say worked in our favour. Instead of living in a low income area in Rampur we now live in a middle class area in Karachi ;)

Let bygones be bygones even Quaid e Azam didn't want conflict between Pakistan and India. He envisioned a brotherly relationship between the two countries.

My question is why??Why should there be reservation based on religion..why only for Muslims, why not for Hindus, Sikhs , Christians, Buddhists?

For thousand years Muslims kings ruled over Hindu majority India..we did not see any Hindus asking reservation of ministerial posts in Akbar's court.

Reservation is against principal of democracy ...if you are worthy leader ..you will be elected into power irrespective of religion...Electing a minority leader to parliament does not ensure the rights of minorities.

Please understand that I am not trying to justify that line of thinking. I am just saying that was the atmosphere at the time where everything was viewed in terms of Hindu / Muslims animosity.

The point is was that worth breaking up the country for ?

P.S. Btw, most of Akbar's court was comprised of Hindus, so there was no need to ask for reservation of seats in his court. Heck he even married a Hindu Rajput Lady so technically his sons were genetically 50% from hindu lineage.

i agree with shared identity. But wait till the direct decendents of arab, central asian, persian, turk who have Nothing i repeat nothing in common with yindoo indians,arrives. :)

Please understand that I am not trying to justify that line of thinking. I am just saying that was the atmosphere at the time where everything was viewed in terms of Hindu / Muslims animosity.

The point is was that worth breaking up the country for ?

Yes, I agree with you , there was a bitter Hindu -Muslim at animosity that time ..but role of a secular person such Jinnah should have been to unite the people of two religions and not try use this communal divide to score political point or even break the country.

Dear friend, I think you have not read history and who Jinnah was, the person once called the Ambassador of hindu Muslim unity, I think you indians need to read history first, may be then you might figure out who gave a chance to what.

I have read about Jinnah and how he was one of most secular leaders of United India.
But a person is remembered for his actions and not just his outlook...but his actions indirectly led to one of the most massive religious riots in the history of mankind. I agree that was not his objective but dividing people on the bases of their religion is always a non starter.

Creating or even harnessing a communal divide never ends up well for anyone.

Yes, I agree with you , there was a bitter Hindu -Muslim at animosity that time ..but role of a secular person such Jinnah should have been to unite the people of two religions and not try use this communal divide to score political point or even break the country.

I dont think it was Jinnah's idea for a division...he wanted to head undivided India. I believe one of the main reason for the whole issue was Jahawarlal Nehru's insistance on being the 1st prime minister of Independent India, for which he had influenced even Mahatma Gandhi.

I dont think it was Jinnah's idea for a division...he wanted to head undivided India. I believe one of the main reason for the whole issue was Jahawarlal Nehru's insistance on being the 1st prime minister of Independent India, for which he had influenced even Mahatma Gandhi.

Yes, Both nehru and jinnah wanted to become PM of independent india (and eventually they become, one of india and one of pakistan), and same with todays politicians all want power, they dont worry if country lives or dies.

Exactly right & while Indians blame Jinnah, Pakistanis blame Nehru. Someone came up with a brainstorm of dividing the country so that both are happy & common man suffered.

The cuurent situation of of muslims & even other minorities in india proved that Mr Jinnah was very right in is decision.

Jinnah was a leader of All India Muslim league ..where as Nehru was leader of India National congress.
In 1946 assembly elections congress won 95% of seats..even in Muslim majority areas, where as Muslim league won 5% reserved seats ..So tell me who should have been the logical prime minister of United India?

"Your" in above refers to the Muslim league and its leaders for holding the nation to extortion ie "if you do not reserve certain seats based on religion..we will divide the country"..that is not..how democracy works!!

You are misinformed. That was not the Muslim League demand at the denouement; it was for three homelands, with equal voting rights for citizens irrespective of religion within each.

Considering that seats were in fact reserved based on religion, to name just one instance in the post-1935 elections, this was not necessary for Jinnah to plead; it was a case already won, so why would he and the AIML be threatening to partition the country for what they already had in hand?

As for whether or not democracy works that way, there are many ways in which democracy works. A prejudiced old bigot who ties up deviants from his own moral philosophy and has them beaten up, and does this without being prosecuted and jailed under the Indian Penal Code, is also at this moment claiming to be the standard bearer of democracy in India.

Dear friend, I think you have not read history and who Jinnah was, the person once called the Ambassador of hindu Muslim unity, I think you indians need to read history first, may be then you might figure out who gave a chance to what.

It really is necessary for the vast mass of Indians to revise their assessments of Jinnah. The impression that we have is sadly mistaken and horribly distorted. To be quite fair, this is a process that is required on both sides; the Pakistani impressions of Gandhi, Nehru and Patel verge on caricature.

Thank you, however, for your correct setting of the role of Jinnah.

I have read about Jinnah and how he was one of most secular leaders of United India.
But a person is remembered for his actions and not just his outlook...but his actions indirectly led to one of the most massive religious riots in the history of mankind. I agree that was not his objective but dividing people on the bases of their religion is always a non starter.

Creating or even harnessing a communal divide never ends up well for anyone.

We need to consider this not in terms of that one event, but in terms of the much deeper question of identity politics in south Asia. The subject is far, far more delicate and layered than Hindu-Muslim rivalry.

On the contrary, Jinnah had not even visualised a role for himself. At the time of independence, he already knew that he had very few months to live; for him to have had ministerial ambitions is an absurd proposition. You should be aware that he was even a reluctant Governor-General, and took that position only when he realised that the absurd popinjay Mountbatten had himself in that position, on both sides of the divide!

It is true that practically all segments of Congress opinion thought Nehru, as Gandhi's 'anointed' political heir, would lead the new nation; it is not at all clear that Nehru lobbied for the position directly, although Gandhi had to intervene to maintain good relations between Nehru and Patel! On the other hand, contrary to the impression your note conveys, at a certain stage in the discussions, when the Cabinet Mission talks had broken down, and it seemed that there was only the ghastly last resort of partition left, Gandhi tried desperately to salvage the situation by offering Jinnah the Prime Ministerial position of an undivided India. Jinnah did not take this personal bribe and stayed with the political agenda of preserving Muslim minority identity in south Asia that the Muslim League had adopted. And that is what lies behind the story of Gandhi offering him the Prime Minister's post.

Exactly right & while Indians blame Jinnah, Pakistanis blame Nehru. Someone came up with a brainstorm of dividing the country so that both are happy & common man suffered.

I am sorry to read this simplistic depiction of what was in fact an extremely complex political and social situation.

You are misinformed. That was not the Muslim League demand at the denouement; it was for three homelands, with equal voting rights for citizens irrespective of religion within each.

Considering that seats were in fact reserved based on religion, to name just one instance in the post-1935 elections, this was not necessary for Jinnah to plead; it was a case already won, so why would he and the AIML be threatening to partition the country for what they already had in hand?

As for whether or not democracy works that way, there are many ways in which democracy works. A prejudiced old bigot who ties up deviants from his own moral philosophy and has them beaten up, and does this without being prosecuted and jailed under the Indian Penal Code, is also at this moment claiming to be the standard bearer of democracy in India.

AIML demaded separate electorates for all Muslims..what logic is there for providing separate eloctorate ..ie Muslims could only vote for Muslims and no one else and vice versa...It was intact stepping stone towards sowing communal dis-accord amongst people

There second demand was dissolution of power from center ..and there be three power centers in the country..again a stepping stone towards a total anarchy.

I agree with some of the posts here. I myself am not a huge fan of the partition as it just led to further problems. But again my grandparents migrated from India to Pakistan and the partition I would say worked in our favour. Instead of living in a low income area in Rampur we now live in a middle class area in Karachi ;)

Unfortunately Sachar report is quite correct, But you need to see the reasons behind it why Indian muslim majority remained poor; I my opinion most of the educated Muslims (relative elite) migrated to Pakistan, obviously they were more politically aware and had means. Remaining Muslims who were daily wagers like weavers and Julaha's etc , there work was in their towns, how could they leave?.
Moreover, as they thought they would be minority .. they started living in Gettos. You and all of us know that Muslims in India prefer to stay in Muslim areas. In most cities its the old towns.
Maybe the fear made them do so and they passed on the same to their generations. Never focused on education, instead ensured that their kids learn the traditional family workman skill.

Shia muslims in India on other hand did assimilate with majority of India, but remember they always were relatively prosperous historically in india.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom