What's new

Pakistani fish seller-turned-singer set to set record

A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LONDON: Pakistani amateur singer Muhammad Shahid Nazir, who is better known as the One Pound Fish Man, has released his world famous “£1 fish, come on ladies” song in the hope of securing the coveted Christmas number one position in the charts.Pakistani student Nazir, who came to London just over a year ago, is now competing for the top slot with James Arthur, who has won this year’s singing competition ‘X Factor’.

Nazir appeared on Sunday night’s ‘Xtra Factor’, BBC World Service, and at least one dozen other shows on radio and television to plug his song in his broken English but with mighty confidence. “It’s a dream come true. The feeling of fame is divine. I never thought anything like this will happen to me one day in my life,” he told The News on Tuesday as he was about to enter another recording. Long gone are the baggy trousers and the hat and Shahid has made his media appearances in a smart suit. He had every member of the audience loving him and singing along his song when he – clutching a plate of fishes – entered the Xtra Factor show.

Released by the Warner Music, the renegade singer’s ‘One Pound Fish’ is so popular that within an hour of its release more than half a million people had watched it on Youtube. In the official video – which cannot be seen in Pakistan due to Youtube ban – Shahid can be seen dancing and singing with foxy dancers in the studio as well as in different London locations. Celebrity weatherman Michael Fish has made a cameo role in the video, wearing a cod around while wearing a T-shirt adorned with the £1 Fish Man’s price tag.

The bookies have extended their support to the singer from a town near Lahore. “The £1 Fish Man looks a lively outsider for the Christmas number one and we have installed the song at 33/1 to take the top spot,” said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams. “To put that in perspective, he is twice as likely as Justin Bieber to take the top spot and four times as likely as Sir Cliff Richard.”

Shahid told The News that he misses his family a lot. “I am doing my best to give my family a better future. My relatives and children are also singing ‘have-a, have-a look, one pound fish. Very, very good, very, very cheap, one pound fish’”, he told The News, adding the song has changed his life.“I am so happy that everyone in the showbiz and in public is singing my song. I am not a trained singer but so what. I am a natural and that’s what my appeal is,” Shahid said.
Pakistani fish seller-turned-singer set to set record - thenews.com.pk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom