Pakistani film 'Waar' criticised at home for blaming terrorism on India

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Waar seems ordinary enough as an action movie - Pakistani forces fighting terrorism, a James Bond-like character hunting an assassin, a woman ensnaring a patriot with her sexual wiles.

But the Pakistani-made film playing to packed cinemas has some critics worried, because it suggests that the country's terrorism problem is not homegrown, but a sinister plot by outside enemies, particularly long-term adversary India.

The film opened four weeks ago and for a time was playing on all screens at many multiplexes.

The movie opens with a man illegally entering Pakistan and teaming up with an assassin. Both are supposedly working for India and are being hunted by security agents led by an army major whose family was killed by the assassin.

The movie is "trying to divert attention away from the actual source of the problems. And that's why I think it's a dangerous narrative," said Hasan Zaidi, a Pakistani director who runs the Karachi International Film Festival.

Columnist and cultural critic Nadeem Paracha said the idea that India is to blame for Pakistan's problems has long been prevalent in Pakistan, which tends to view itself as a bastion of Islam surrounded by enemies.

But the movie's director says people may be taking the film a bit too seriously.

"It's just a film, the same way that Hollywood has portrayed the good guys and the bad guys. It's not a documentary," said Bilal Lashari, 31. "I don't understand why some people are giving it credit for trying to explain the realities of what's going on."

Pakistani film 'Waar' criticised at home for blaming terrorism on India | South China Morning Post

"It's just a film, the same way that Hollywood has portrayed the good guys and the bad guys. It's not a documentary," said Bilal Lashari, 31. "I don't understand why some people are giving it credit for trying to explain the realities of what's going on."

Sums it all .

had heard somewhere conspiracy theories are bread and butter in muslim countries , going by that understanding conspiracy will be the most popular genre in pakistani cinema.
the very reason why pakistanies feel that they even need a film industry is not to explore the art of film making its rather to bash india and to compete with indians .

Sums it all .

I completely agree. It's a movie, not a documentary. Btw, the fact that people are talking about it, even if negative, is a good thing. Means the movie has given people something to talk about.

had heard somewhere conspiracy theories are bread and butter in muslim countries , going by that understanding conspiracy will be the most popular genre in pakistani cinema.
the very reason why pakistanies feel that they even need a film industry is not to explore the art of film making its rather to bash india and to compete with indians .
tumblr_mgfksuwCvD1s2kpyko1_250.gif

lol

The main purpose of making a movie is to MAKE MONEY, and money is made on things which can be sold easily. So you can't blame the director of the movie for cashing on prevailing conspiracies. I bet if someone makes a movie on the OBL raid presenting it as a conspiracy to malign Pakistan's name, you would even find JI thronging the theaters.

LOl Look whose talking............ A country who has a even greater and larger history of conspiracy theories against Pakistan and Muslims and who has a history of making anti Pak and Anti Muslim films like Sarfarosh, Agent Venod, D Day, Ek tha Hindu Bandar, ghadar, Border, LOC etc etc:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why do u Indians come in our forums and embarrass yourselves.

On Topic''
@RazPaK @Alpha1 @secure

I think the Chinese media has to improve their reporting standards and not to copy past Indian sources. This report is a copy of this article from an indian website.It was published on 10 Nov 2013.

In Waar, Pak’s imagination leaps and bounds | The Asian Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom