What's new

Pakistani corner

@Slav Defence @S.U.R.B. @WAJsal and others, here is a serious question:

What is the origin of the term "Double Roti" when referring to sliced bread? What does the "double" refer to?
Why bread is called ‘Double roti’ in India?
The question had been bothering me for some time, and I was unable to find an authentic response, till I stumbled upon an article on British influence on Indian cuisine.

Bread has been alien to India, and our Indian breads have traditionally been unleavened or flat, comprising mostly of chapatti, roti, parantha, naan or poori. Baked western bread was popularized in India during the time of British raj. The use of Western bread however dates even further, most probably, during the Portuguese colonization period. The reference to this can be found in the vastly popular Maharashtra snacks – ‘Pao Bhaji’ .
In my quest for getting a correct answer to my question I came across many interesting theories about theses breads. For instance many people think that bread is called ‘double roti’ because it rises to double its size when baked. Also, more interestingly some say the term ‘pav’ or ‘pao rooti’ (Bengali word for bread) comes from the fact that commercial bread used to be kneaded by foot in bread factories of India in 19th century.

The truth however is not very startling. The word ‘Pav’ comes from Portuguese word for bread – ‘pão’. The dish however has a history of its own and revolves around the textile mill workers of Mumbai or ‘Bombay’ as it was called then.

The name ‘Double roti’ however comes from the fact that when British introduced sandwiches in India, the natives called it ‘Double roti’ as it had meat and vegetables stuffed inside two slices of bread. The term later became popular for any kind of baked bread, whether stuffed or not.

So, next time you dig into a ‘pav’ or ‘double roti’ remember why it is called so. Its caio for now, or should I say ‘pav’ ?

Soooooo @WAJsal.
How are your monthly assessments going? :unsure:
To start on Monday, will get a ban, considering last time i ditch my studies and started using PDF.:mad: App sunaey how is life? planning on going to Gilgit?
@WAJsal
we had discussion,remember?
Please use this thread to discuss about things concerned with Pakistan such as best tourist places,economic growth and other positive aspects of Pakistan.

regards
:undecided: Arey bhai, go back a couple of pages, this thread is all about Pakistan, i have shared many positive news every now and then, plus videos, i was a bit busy.... general debate is allowed too.
@Slav Defence @S.U.R.B. @WAJsal and others, here is a serious question:

What is the origin of the term "Double Roti" when referring to sliced bread? What does the "double" refer to?
It's a big roti, all i know...

Aslamoalikum!
Hi. Im new here, using these forums for fun purposes, knowlesge. Etc.

I have a question, where do i get marijuana oil? Its known to cure cancer however under pressure from foreign countries, use of marijuana has been banned in Pakistan just recently. I wish to use its small amount as a cure for someone in my family whos health is very bad because of cancer.

Welcome bro
Why not to suggest him/ her to visit shoukat khnam?

The name ‘Double roti’ however comes from the fact that when British introduced sandwiches in India, the natives called it ‘Double roti’ as it had meat and vegetables stuffed inside two slices of bread. The term later became popular for any kind of baked bread, whether stuffed or not.

That seems plausible that it refers to sandwiches, but why use the word "double"? Why did it not become "Do Roti" or "Duhri Roti" in the process of linguistic indigenization?

That seems plausible that it refers to sandwiches, but why use the word "double"? Why did it not become "Do Roti" or "Duhri Roti" in the process of linguistic indigenization?
Lot of words for things newer or later interduced in Asia by intruders have funny origins and name they find slices of bread quite thick as compared to roti or chapati and coined a new english plus desi name double roti.

Lot of words for things newer or later interduced in Asia by intruders have funny origins and name they find slaices of bread quite thick as compared to roti or chapati and coined a new english plus desi name double roti.

Hybridization at work. :D

Just an example of the useless thoughts in my mind when having breakfast, thank you for helping with one of them. I wonder where the term was first used? :D

Nana is out of country, so there's no one to visit. Next year is also not possible, I'll be back in the States, I'm a bridesmaid soooo I have to be there.
Life is sad at the moment :(.
So a week long ban?. Anyways good luck with your assessments.

A marriage, kis ke shadi hai? I love weddings, as long as i don't have to work.

Shame.

Yes. :-)

Friend's marriage, have to be there for dress and practice and catering and all that stuff and floral decorations.

Though don't worry my Nana will visit us in Karachi so won't miss out the fun.

Good luck in your assessments, are you a commerce student or a sciences student?.

Friend's marriage, have to be there for dress and practice and catering and all that stuff and floral decorations.
That level of nakhre, can't even imagine. Must be tough, good luck. Dress, practice, and etc,etc...:o:
Good luck in your assessments, are you a commerce student or a sciences student?.
Unfortunately i took science, will switch next year.
Though don't worry my Nana will visit us in Karachi so won't miss out the fun.
Aww...lucky you.

I am not aware,please tell us.On the other hand:

Take a look at this amazing book.I just came across it and was stunned.
https://islamicmisconceptions.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/the-amazing-quran.pdf

Regards

Great booklet, but why should the Quran need any sort of justifications, scientific or otherwise, to verify or prove it at all? After all, Muslims believe that it is divine, perfect and for all times, as a bedrock of their faith. Shouldn't that be enough?

(Not to start a religious discussion, Sir, please delete if my post is unsuitable.)

Back
Top Bottom