What's new

Pakistani Achievers - At Home & Abroad

1986 - Justice Nasira Javid Iqbal receiving Master of Laws degree at Harvard Law School (HLS) .

1654356497671.png

Harvard Law School is the law school of Harvard University. It is one of the most prestigious law schools in the world and ranked first in the world.
Courtesy : Munib Iqbal

Starting this thread to celebrate Pakistani Achievers. Starting off with Dr. Atif Mian, Professor of Economics at Princeton:

Reshaping thinking: IMF names Pakistani among most influential economists
By Kazim Alam
Published: September 13, 2014

761669-AtifMian-1410556716-626-640x480.jpg

Atif Mian. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI:
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has named a Pakistani-American as one of 25 young economists who are expected to be most influential in the decades to come.

In its September edition of Finance and Development, a quarterly publication of the IMF, the Washington-based lender has named 39-year-old Atif Mian, professor of economics at Princeton University, among 25 economists under 45 “who are shaping the way we think about the global economy”.

Mian recently co-authored a book titled House of Debt, which has received critical acclaim from academia, policymakers and the general public. Nobel laureate Paul Krugman, arguably the most influential economist alive, has called Mian a leading expert on the subject of debt.

Commenting on the state of Pakistan’s economy, Mian said the foremost challenge it faces is boosting domestic productive capacity. “The low export numbers tell us that Pakistanis have trouble producing good quality products that they can then sell to the outside world (and themselves),” he told The Express Tribune.

In House of Debt, Mian has investigated the role of private debt – rather than the debt of the government and financial institutions – in precipitating the economic crisis of 2008. Mian and his co-author University of Chicago professor Amir Sufi argue in the book that severe economic downturns have typically been preceded by a sudden and excessive increase in household debt.

Data from the US and European economies suggest that people in the lower half of the income distribution tend to have a disproportionately higher marginal propensity to spend. Mian concludes that a shock to the wealth of subprime borrowers, like crashing home prices, results in massive cuts in their household spending. This sends the economy into a tailspin and causes foreclosures, unemployment and reduced output – a perfect recipe for an economic disaster.

Mian is one of the few public intellectuals who identify the current siege of the Pakistani state by religious extremists as a joint legacy of Bhutto and Zia. “Today’s unstable macro environment is a direct result of the Bhutto-Zia legacy, and it needs to be reversed if Pakistan is serious about growth. Doing so is not easy. But there is no other choice,” he said.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 13th, 2014.
Reshaping thinking: IMF names Pakistani among most influential economists – The Express Tribune
Here’s to celebrating all those recognized for their individual efforts 👏

Ismail Gulgee

1671232705401.png

The Gulgee (25 October 1926 – 16 December 2007) Pride of Performance, Sitara-e-Imtiaz (twice), Hilal-e-Imtiaz, was a Pakistani artist born in Peshawar. He was a qualified engineer in the US and self-taught abstract painter and portrait painter. Before 1959, as portraitist, he painted the entire Afghan Royal Family. From about 1960 on, he was noted as an abstract painter influenced by the tradition of Islamic calligraphy and by the American "action painting" idiom.

Gulgee was born on 25 October 1926 at Karimpura locality in Peshawar, Pakistan. Initially, he went to Lawrence College Murree and then to Aligarh University to study civil engineering before heading off to US for continuing his higher education. Gulgee started to paint while acquiring his training as an engineer in the United States at Columbia University and then Harvard. His first exhibition was in 1950.

Guljee, as he was famously known, received many requests for his paintings internationally, from the Saudi royal family to the Islamabad presidency. Many of his works are placed in the Faisal Mosque in Islamabad. Guljee received many awards, including from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Japan and France.

پاکستان کی مشہور یونیورسٹی سے پڑھنے کے بعد ٹیکسٹائل ڈیزائنر وجیہہ خان نے بڑے برانڈز کے ساتھ کام کرنے کے بجائے اپنے آبائی علاقے کا رخ کیا جہاں وہ اپنی صلاحیتوں کو علاقے کی خواتین کے فلاح کے لیے استعمال کر رہی ہیں۔ ان خواتین کے ساتھ کس طرح کی نا انصافیاں ہوتی تھیں اور وجیہہ ان کی کس طرح مدد کر رہی ہیں، دیکھیے موسیٰ یاوری کی اس ویڈیو میں

Renowned singer Hadiqa Kiani in her mission Vaseela-e-Raah has completed 100 houses that are now occupied by flood victims.

They have also built a maternity clinic, a grocery store and a primary school in the area.
🇵🇰

Nine year old Aiyana Noel Arthur made us proud once again by winning a Gold Medal in International Open Karate Kensho Championship 2023 held in Sri Lanka, representing Pakistan.
She started her martial arts journey at age 6 with Taurus MMA fitness Academy in Karachi and last year earned herself an impressive Bronze and Silver medal from Azerbaijan too.

1678810743005.jpeg

Huawei ICT contest winner an aspiration for country’s youth​

By Mariam Raheem | Gwadar Pro Mar 16, 2023

ISLAMABAD, Mar. 15, (Gwadar Pro) - President Dr Arif Alvi said on Monday that Bhagchand Meghwar, belonging to the country’s Tharparkar, who won the first prize at Huawei’s Global ICT Competition, was an inspiration for the youth.
In a tweet, the president stated that "he is an inspiration for the Pakistani youth and affirms my view that ICT (information and communication technology) is the fastest, easiest, and shortest path to Pakistan’s socio-economic development and youth empowerment."
President Alvi lauded the hard work and persistence of Bhagchand and said, "It shows that Pakistani youth can do wonders if given the opportunity and guidance."
Tharparker, on the Pakistani border, still has no electricity or water, let alone the Internet. Bhagchand, a member of the local ethnic minority, has had a difficult life since childhood. According to his father, Bhagchand has six siblings, of which he is the youngest. They are all very nice, but Bhagchand stands out among them, always helping his parents around the house and trying to do more.
Despite the hardships, Bhagchand worked his way up from the local village school through hard work and persistence to enter the telecommunications college at Mehran University of Engineering and Technology (MUET). With the recommendation and guidance of his teachers at the school, Bhagchand and two of his classmates signed up for the Huawei ICT competition and went through all the hurdles to win the first prize in the national competition, regional competition, and global final. Finally, his team won the first prize of the 2021–2022 global finals of the Huawei ICT Competition with an outstanding performance.
After winning the first prize, Bhagchand is determined to keep moving forward and make more progress in the ICT sector. He believes the Huawei ICT competition is an important initiative. He said that "it gives Pakistani youth the opportunity to compete against teams from different countries in the region and around the world. It also provides us with ICT training that helps us in the global and regional finals, for which we are very grateful and proud!"
Bhagchand’s interest was not developing in telecommunication engineering initially, as he had heard a lot about the lack of scope and availability of jobs in the field. In an interview with Gwadar Pro, Bhagchand said that "the boys get discouraged in the IT field nowadays. My own classmates, about 80 percent of them, are still working outside their field. Despite Pakistanis being gifted with ICT and there being a lot of talents in Pakistani universities, they haven’t found any outlets due to a lack of guidance and channels."
However, the Huawei ICT competition completely changed the way Bhagchand and his classmates thought about telecommunications engineering. When Huawei provides opportunities and paths for such competition, talents automatically come to the fore. About 10,000 students in Pakistan register for the Huawei ICT competition every year.
He told the reporter that what he wants to convey to the youth of Pakistan is that, as the country comes to realize the need to invest more in ICT and the intellectual development of youth in the country, more organizations are providing training and giving certifications free of cost, and they can take the example of Huawei and other good IT companies. In addition, actively participate in the different competitions that are offered.
"Pakistani youth have great potential and bright prospects." "All they only need is a proper path," he concluded.

HpdWvj4HDOXkYnQgA13zroeRGZTVOf2gvVM-QXvkuFq1w7BS8_aTeVZco_50oMuefSyf5gDF41hFswpMeYKahRsxqE0rFjU4qdERYTmT

Yasmin Dar has achieved a historic accomplishment by becoming the Lord Mayor of Manchester. This achievement not only represents diversity and progress but also makes her the first Pakistan-origin Muslim woman to hold this esteemed position.

Dar’s vision for Manchester focuses on empowering its residents, promoting a sense of belonging, and advocating for diversity. She is dedicated to community development and aims to create an environment where every voice is heard and valued. Her appointment as Lord Mayor is a significant step towards building a more inclusive and equitable society.

In addition, councilor Akhtar Zaman’s election as the Deputy Leader of Bolton City Council is another notable achievement by a person of Pakistani origin in the United Kingdom. Originally from Gujrat, Zaman’s rise in politics highlights the increasing representation of diverse voices in leadership positions.

Councillor Raja Muhammad Ayub Khan’s election as the Mayor of Bolton also showcases the progress made by individuals from Azad Kashmir. Hailing from Kotli, councilor Ayub Khan’s success emphasizes the importance of multiculturalism and celebrating diverse backgrounds in local governance.

Councillor Haji Muhammad Fiaz has also taken on the role of Mayor of Chorley District Council in Lancashire. The inauguration ceremony in Chorley, with its rich historical heritage, underscores the value of cultural integration and the contributions of individuals from all walks of life.

THE MOTHERHOOD DIARIES

Shazia Hasan
May 14, 2023

Sabah Faisal Edhi feeds a special child in the nursery of the Edhi Centre in Kharadar | Fahim Siddiqi / White Star

Sabah Faisal Edhi feeds a special child in the nursery of the Edhi Centre in Kharadar | Fahim Siddiqi / White Star

It’s just another weekday at the SOS Children’s Village in Malir, Karachi and Rubina Khan, one of the most senior ‘mothers’ in one of the houses here, is busy in the kitchen putting the final touches to lunch.

“Today’s menu is daal chawal,” she announces.

“Every morning as they are off to school, we discuss with the children what they would like for lunch. When the majority voted for daal chawal this morning, I reminded them about the biryani they had just two days ago. It is also rice but they insisted that daal chawal is different from biryani and so daal chawal it is,” says Rubina as she tells me that she will recruit one or two of the older girls to prepare the raita and salad to serve with lunch as soon as the children return from school.

There are nine children, six girls and three boys of different ages, in Rubina’s care at the SOS Village. All live in the same house, one of four in a mohalla or neighbourhood. In total, there are 16 houses, four in each corner making up the four mohallas. The houses are nice, airy and well-lit.

Today, as one of the little boys, Kashif, returns from school, Rubina tells him to open his school bag before her so that she can go through its contents. “One of his friends at school gave him a kite and string that he brought home recently, hence the special treatment,” Rubina winks at me. The bag is clean and the boy is allowed to go, shower and change. After lunch, he is also the first to be told to bring out his homework copy by Rubina. That taken care of, she turns to the other children.

Some of the children are orphans, some come from broken homes. She is there for all of them and they know it well. Rubina herself came to the SOS Children’s Village some 23 years ago.

Motherhood is more than simple bonds of blood and DNA. Sometimes, a mother’s love and care comes wrapped in other garbs…

“I am originally from Bahawalpur. I was young, divorced within a year of my marriage. Looking for a change of scenery and environment, I came to Karachi to stay with my cousins for a short while only, but here one of them asked me to think about getting a job. He even had something in mind for me and brought me here. That was when I fell in love with the shiny, happy faces I encountered here. The very next day, I was hired. The rest is history. I never wanted to go back to Bahawalpur. My children needed me.

“As we nurture these children, brought to us by fate, they in turn also enrich our lives,” says Rubina, who has by now raised three to four generations of children and sent them out in the real world to find their place.

Rubina Khan checks young Kashif’s homework copy with one of his older SOS siblings watching over | Photos by the writer

Rubina Khan checks young Kashif’s homework copy with one of his older SOS siblings watching over | Photos by the writer

“But they don’t really go. We keep in touch as they call often to share things and also to seek my advice. So many times, they also come here to meet and stay for a day or two. But even if they didn’t, they all have their own special places in my heart. I remember each and everything about each and every one of them. I think I know them more than they know themselves. Isn’t that how a mother feels too?” Rubina smiles.

Salman Noman becomes first Pakistan-based YouTuber to cross 10 million subscribers​

by Suneela Zulfiqar

Salman Noman becomes first Pakistan-based YouTuber to cross 10 million subscribers

Salman Noman, a 30-year-old from Karachi’s impoverished Korangi suburb, started creating musical videos on YouTube in 2021, but after not gaining much traction, he stopped making social media content.

However, after a hiatus of about seven months, Noman returned to digital content with a different approach in January 2022, making comedy short videos, which have become a resounding success.

His first video became an overnight hit, garnering 15 million views, and he has now reached a milestone of 13.5 million subscribers, the highest number ever recorded by a Pakistani content creator.

Google awarded Noman with a Diamond Play Button, and the Sindh government held a special ceremony to celebrate his achievements. Noman believes his originality is key to his success in content creation, and he has never felt the need to purchase big cameras, mics or lights, as his cellphone suffices for recording his videos.

His videos are mostly shot at food stalls and an adjacent shop that his father owns, providing an opportunity to add humour to the street life in Karachi.

Despite focusing mostly on comedy, Noman has also covered serious issues such as divorce, homeless children adoption and coronavirus precautions.

Although he started out intending to become a singer, his comedy videos gained more traction, and he started making parody versions of famous songs instead. Noman plans to return to his first love, music, and is looking to release a song after Eid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom