What's new

Pakistan working on military robots

What do you get when you combine ignorance and internet access?

Yes, I know the standard of research in Pakistan. It is not sufficient to build the kind of robots we are talking about.

How, Flintlock, would you define 'cuttin edge robotics'? What, according to you, are the most important areas of research are in robotics today? I ask you these questions because you seem to consider yourself somewhat of an expert on the subject of robotics (in general) and the state of robotics research in Pakistan (in particular). Please note that a lot of the most complex robotics research in North America is carried out at my university, and I have personally been involved in some as well. Therefore, I have a pretty well developed filter for BS in this area.

On the other hand, I have read and heard that some of the projects assigned to Pakistan Air Force's College of Aeronautical Engineering graduates are quite amazing, and possibly involve complex robotics system design.

Lastly, I appreciate the pace at which Iran is advancing, but I highly doubt that it is the place to be. If anything, I would say that the place to be, if you are interested in robotics research, is North America. In particular, North American research institutes and organisations concentrating on Aerospace, Space Systems, Robotics, Mechatronics etc.

what ever is the case but to tell you one thing wars are won by will of people...

Yes, I know the standard of research in Pakistan. It is not sufficient to build the kind of robots we are talking about.

Then you know nothing about research in Pakistan.

Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting the public info. I'll eat my shoes if its anything like the "half-man-half-robot" deal being discussed in the article.

If anything, the author should be mentioning European countries and Singapore which are far ahead of any south asian country in terms of automation in the military.

If you read the article carefully ,The mention of Iran, China and Pakistan is more a political statement than an indicator of any kind of technological prowess of the kind that is seen in the USA. A scaremongering tactic.

Watching too many sci-fi movies? Who said a robot has to be half-man-half-machine?
A drone is an example of a robot. You think pakistan won't be able to build a drone?

Millitary projects are always secretive and the general public only has a faint idea of whats going on. Wait for the right time and you will see whats been cooking.

M.I.T, Harvard, Stanford and... send invitation to Sharif, Elm-o San'at, Tehran University, Imam Sadegh and... and some of these students accept their invitation! traitors!

Our bothers are welcome to join us in Persian Gulf International University and Sharif Institute of Technology (Located in Kish).

BTW im studying IT at Sharif, I can keep you posted about whats going on there!

Last edited:
@destruct lord.

^^^^please elaborate.....

LONG BEACH: Pakistan is among the countries working on the development of military robots as robots will be armies of the future in a case of science fact catching up to fiction, a researcher told an elite TED gathering on Wednesday. “The United States is ahead in military robots, but in technology there is no such thing as a permanent advantage,” Peter Singer, who has authored books on the military said. “You have Russia, China, Pakistan and Iran working on military robots.” Singer warned that while using robots for battle saves lives of military personnel, the move has the potential to exacerbate warfare by having heartless machines do the dirty work. “We are at a point of revolution in war,” Singer said. Singer predicted US military units will be half machine, half human by 2015.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

its indeed a great achievement for Pakistan. We'll be happier as our Muslim brothers get stronger!!:)

honestly, I don't know much about the state of robotics in Pakistan. All I know is that robotics is promoted at the "grassroots" level through high school competitions, surprisingly by the army itself.

So far, the best robot I've seen-actually the closest thing I've seen to a robot used for military applications-is this, built by a NUST student.

Last edited by a moderator:
Institute for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (INST) is a multidisciplinary inter university center, organizing the Nanotechnology research activities in Sharif University of Technology and conducts PhD programs to train students with multidisciplinary knowledge of the subject. INST intends to be the hub of nanotechnology in the country and has the mission of promoting nanotechnology in the university and in the country by providing a network of researchers from various disciplines and supporting activities that are related to Nanotechnology.
INST was founded in 2005 as an independent center in the university after about two years of study on its mission and organization and now includes faculty members from various departments like Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. The PhD program started in October 2005 by admitting 14 students with Physics, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering backgrounds. INST is growing with a rapid pace and in the first step has been assigned as a "Center of Excellence" (CoE) in the field of nanostructures.

Projects

* Fabrication and Analysis of Silver (Ag) Nano Particles by the Sol - Gel

* Technique Investigation of Thermoelectric Effects In Carbon Nano tubes

* Fabrication of Metal and Metal Oxide Nano Particles By Pulsed Laser

* Growth of Semi Conductive Nano Particles by Means of Light Stimulation

* Fabrication of Basic Tool for Measurements and Characterization of Surface Plasmons Behavior

* Design and Fabrication of Electrochemical Sensors by Means of Carbon Nanotubes

* Design and Fabrication of Metal Oxide Gas Sensors With Nanometric Structure

* Nano Crystalline Titanium Oxide Coating For Gas Sensors

* Study of the Role of The Protective Layer in Characterization of Formation of Nano Scale CoSi2 Layer

* Determination of Elastic Domain in Thin Layers With Nano Failure

* A Continuum model To Analyze the Behavior In Computational Nano Mechanics

* Electrochemical Preparation of Nano Metal Oxide Mixtures For Applications To Electrochemical Super Capacitors

* Elimination of Air Pollutants by TiO2 Photo Catalytic Nano Structures

* Fabrication of Metallic Nano Rods and Investigation of Their Optical Properties

* Fabrication of a Hydrogen Gas Sensor Based on Porous Silicone

So far, the best robot I've seen-actually the closest thing I've seen to a robot used for military applications-is this, built by a NUST student.

WKhw4XioxfA[/media] - Final YEAR PROJECT DEMONSTRATION

It's actually quite good. They have done very well there.

I am currently searching for ideas for possible design projects for my final year project. I wanted to do something related to robotics, but autonomous robots have become too common as final year projects. Almost everyone wants to do robots. I was thinking of designing a VTOL UAV or a UAV sentry (UCAV), kind of like the video below, but Airborne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys i can create a topic for Sharif Institute of Technoloy achievements if you're interested? I cant post all things here because its "Pakistani Robots" not Iranian ones! and btw there is load of them! :-S

Then, I can create topics for achievements of other universities too!

1985 - University of Engineering & Technology (UET) Lahore had one of the most active Robotic Engineering programs. In those days, an organization was created by a certain gentleman from Islamabad and it came to be known as YUTECH (Youth Technology). YUTECH's first recognizable project was to create a robotic arm capable of picking up small items from one position and placing them down at another. This desktop contraption was created by using of-the-shelf components brought in the electronic markets of Lahore. It was operated by using a crude computer (It was a Commodore 64, I think) and it performed very well winning a first prize in a science competition.

Today major universities in Pakistan are offering Mechatronis as a undergraduate and Master subject. This enrolls quite a few bright students throughout Pakistan. These students have indeed created small scale Robots capable of performing unique tasks in both military and civil applications. However and mainly due to lack of funding these projects remain small scale prototypes unlike the leader in such tech (Israel and Japan) have shown to develop and market commercially.

We have the talent, we just need resources and some commercial sense to market these robots to the civil and military customers to get the deserved recognition.

Back
Top Bottom