What's new

‘Pakistan wants more support from war on terror partners’

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

* Haqqani says more Pakistanis have been killed in war on terror than Americans​

WASHINGTON: Pakistan expects more co-operation from the other war on terror stakeholders on its western border in the post-Musharraf phase, Pakistan’s Ambassador to United States Husain Haqqani said on Friday.

He rejected the presence of any foreign troops in Pakistan fighting militants. "The war against terror has to be pursued through a co-operative effort between Afghanistan, Pakistan, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) and the US,” the ambassador told America’s National Public Radio.

"Unfortunately there was no chemistry between General (r) Pervez Musharraf and Afghan President Hamid Karzai, which did not facilitate co-operation between the two countries. I think we will see a more co-operative phase [after Musharraf]," he said.

More co-operation, he elaborated, means intelligence sharing, making sure NATO and Afghan forces take care of the Afghan side of the border and no cross-border movement of terrorists. "I do not think induction of NATO or American troops on the Pakistani side is even something that anybody seriously considers," he said.

The ambassador reiterated Pakistan’s commitment to fighting terrorism, and urged the world to support Islamabad in the war on terror, which was Pakistan’s priority.

More Pakistanis: He said former premier Benazir Bhutto lost her life in a terror attack, adding that more Pakistanis had been killed in the war on terror than Americans.

Replying a question, he said under Musharraf there were a lot of political factors directly connected to the war on terror. "Musharraf derived political legitimacy from the fact that he had international support as the man who turned Pakistan around after the September 11, 2001, attacks and joined the international coalition against terrorism. I think that phase is over." He said Pakistan would be more focused on the objective of the war on terror and ensure that terrorists did not attack Pakistanis, Afghans or anyone else.

* Haqqani says more Pakistanis have been killed in war on terror than Americans​

WASHINGTON: Pakistan expects more co-operation from the other war on terror stakeholders on its western border in the post-Musharraf phase, Pakistan’s Ambassador to United States Husain Haqqani said on Friday.

He rejected the presence of any foreign troops in Pakistan fighting militants. "The war against terror has to be pursued through a co-operative effort between Afghanistan, Pakistan, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) and the US,” the ambassador told America’s National Public Radio.

"Unfortunately there was no chemistry between General (r) Pervez Musharraf and Afghan President Hamid Karzai, which did not facilitate co-operation between the two countries. I think we will see a more co-operative phase [after Musharraf]," he said.

More co-operation, he elaborated, means intelligence sharing, making sure NATO and Afghan forces take care of the Afghan side of the border and no cross-border movement of terrorists. "I do not think induction of NATO or American troops on the Pakistani side is even something that anybody seriously considers," he said.

The ambassador reiterated Pakistan’s commitment to fighting terrorism, and urged the world to support Islamabad in the war on terror, which was Pakistan’s priority.

More Pakistanis: He said former premier Benazir Bhutto lost her life in a terror attack, adding that more Pakistanis had been killed in the war on terror than Americans.

Replying a question, he said under Musharraf there were a lot of political factors directly connected to the war on terror. "Musharraf derived political legitimacy from the fact that he had international support as the man who turned Pakistan around after the September 11, 2001, attacks and joined the international coalition against terrorism. I think that phase is over." He said Pakistan would be more focused on the objective of the war on terror and ensure that terrorists did not attack Pakistanis, Afghans or anyone else.

What a miserable and wretched creature Husain Haqqani is . . . people like this have [repeatedly] sold Pakistan short and continue to embrace the United States closer to their bossom, despite, the treachery and animosity of the "War On Terror" becoming clear to Pakistanis and Muslims around the world. They have no conception of the power of the Pakistani state, the talent of its people and the scope of Pakistani foreign policy . . . it seems that [American] scales cover their eyes . . . they can't see anything without the great imperial optician in Washington!!

If Mr Haqqani wants to end violence in Pakistan, stop endorsing Pakistani military attacks against our people and start to heal divisions within the country and not widen them through an alien political agenda forced upon Islamabad by Washington.

Mr Haqqani is a disgrace and unworthy of representing the Pakistani people!!

MartialLaw you have a tendancy to forget a minor detail in most of your posts.

TERRORISTS ARE KILLING PAKISTANIS.

Look at the casualties of the Wah cantonment suicide bombing as an example most were ordinary civilians.

You cannot have a state where everytime a group is in disagreement with the writ of law conducting gratuitous violence for their own ends.

In your own biography you state you admire the Pakistani armed forces whereas the impression given in most of your posts is that you applaud those who kill them.

MartialLaw you have a tendancy to forget a minor detail in most of your posts.

TERRORISTS ARE KILLING PAKISTANIS.

Look at the casualties of the Wah cantonment suicide bombing as an example most were ordinary civilians.

You cannot have a state where everytime a group is in disagreement with the writ of law conducting gratuitous violence for their own ends.

In your own biography you state you admire the Pakistani armed forces whereas the impression given in most of your posts is that you applaud those who kill them.

When observing outrages like the Wah incident, it is important to be able to distinguish between actions and their consequences. This principle may come from the science of physics, but, it is equally applicable to the world of politics and society.

An awful lot of civilians were killed in the Wah incident, but, an awful lot of civilians are getting killed in the tribal belt and Afghanistan . . . are they to be dismissed as mere "collateral damage" !?
Do not indulge in the emotional blackmail that is so typical of American Neoconservatives when they choose to put more value on some lives than others . . . it shows a lack of moral fibre and a subscription to a corrupt political agenda.

Indeed, I do admire the Pakistani Armed Forces . . . but, I do not admire their Chiefs of Staff. In particular, I object to the way in which America has used the Pakistani military to kill its own people and undermine their standing in their eyes . . . it is destabilizing, dangerous and subversive to the sovereignty and integrity of the Pakistani nation.

I do not allow my love and affection for Pakistan and its armed forces to prevent me from challenging the decisions of ignorant, opportunistic, deceitful and treacherous elements in Pakistan's political system and the military elite if I feel they are a danger to Pakistan and its people. Isn't this what a mature and independent nation should be about !?

I can, ofcourse, engage in cheap and meaningless flag-waving on these forums :pakistan: . . . I can repeat how much I love Pakistan, yet, embrace a political agenda that is poisonous and hazardous to the welfare of the country and its people. This is how Pakistan has been ruined in the past [and present] . . .
I leave you with the words of Winston Churchill . . . a great Briton: "nationalism . . . is the last refuge of a scoundrel" !!??

Next time you listen to Musharraf talking about his "Pakistan First" policy or Nawaz Sharif and Asif Zardari addressing how they will restore democracy to Pakistan, please reflect on Winston and his words . . .

Oh . . . and finally, may Allah bless Pakistan :pakistan:

. . . And I mean that MOST SINCERELY !? ;):what:

You talk about the "writ of law" . . .

No writ or law from the state can run counter to the wishes of its own people, against principles of natural justice, fairness and equality. Its the reason why the American colonies revolted against England, why India revolted against the British Raj, Vietnam gave the Yankies a good thrashing and Kashmir remains a flashpoint between India and Pakistan.

Islamabad has no writ of law that it can prosecute in the tribal belt . . in fact, exactly the opposite is true . . . the democratic mandate given to the current civilian administration was to halt military operations in the tribal belt and ditch the US "War On Terror".

The Pakistani state is committing crimes against its own people by persisting with military confrontations that will make the general climate for security far, far worse.

Sorry . . . . . this was a double-post, which, I've now deleted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom