What's new

Pakistan-Turkey 4 Milgem Ada Class Corvettes Contract - Construction started

Will be called frigate in our service IMHO.

That is what I thought unless there is a possibility that PN has decided to completely change it's naming convention for different classes. As we are getting MILGEMS (3k tons) these may be called Corvettes now, TYPE 054P (4k tons) will be frigates and Jinnah class (6k tons?) become destroyers!?

That is what I thought unless there is a possibility that PN has decided to completely change it's naming convention for different classes. As we are getting MILGEMS (3k tons) these may be called Corvettes now, TYPE 054P (4k tons) will be frigates and Jinnah class (6k tons?) become destroyers!?

Classifications are academic really, these vessels are better than our F22Ps.

The nomenclature may not mean much anymore, the PN will probably organize based on the size and capability of its ships.

The previous CNS said the PN is aiming for 20+ "major surface vessels" -- I think these are likely 2,000+ ton ships with ASW, AShW and AAW.

If accurate, the PN would have at least 12 such vessels in the roadmap (4 F-22P, 4 MILGEM, 4 Type 054A/P). I suspect the remaining 8 ships would likely be Jinnah-class frigates (assuming the PN retains the F-22Ps).

So, the name is Babur Han…..

What a conjecture?!?!!
  • Babur Han conquered Kabul first
  • Babur Han was a Turkic style military genius. He introduced canons, gun powder, matchlocks etc. along with tactics and strategies unknown hitherto in the subcontinent
  • Babur Han believed in Allah. After a couple of failures to conquer Hindustan he broke his wine jars, and offered Namaz to atone for his sins. He conquered Delhi in the next try at Panipat with only 6K troops against 100K strong opponents
  • Babur Han was an ambitious leader. While sleeping under the trees at the Fergana Valley and being penniless, he dreamt about conquering Hindustan, the richest country of that time
  • Etc.

Last edited:
I will tell you what card they played son! Turkey is now a backdoor for western technology. Companies and countries not able to sell to Pakistan sell to Turkey so that it can be re-packaged as Aselsan etc. Secondly, the product comes with a Loan, so PN does not have to pay upfront. This is is the same formula by which Chinese were winning. Now other smart countries are figuring it out.

Corvette building has nothing to do with access to the Western tech per say. It's really a reflection of a growing defense cooperation (strategic) between Turkey and Pakistan. These ships don't come with real Western tech like advance AD and AS/AS missiles like PAC , etc. So it's not backdoor access to the Western tech.

The PN will be installing it's own weapon systems, which could be European or Chinese made. This contract probably has a TOT component so that alone is worth the price.

....design stakeholder Navtek, who did not give up the fight despite the changing design....

This part, apart from the other parts, caught my attention.

One of the most difficult things in an ongoing project is to modify the existing design. Especially if this is a shipbuilding activity. People working in the shipyard or shipbuilding industry, if there is any here, can understand what I'm talking about.

As it is understood; Turkish engineers and workers made and implemented these design changes while shipbuilding was going on. This is a really difficult and tedious process. Normally, if it were another manufacturer (or country), they would either reject such changes in advance, demand extra time, or demand a whopping price increase (perhaps even to dissuade the customer).

However, in the PN_Milgem (Babur Class) corvette project, despite all the negativities (design changes, Covid 19 epidemic, etc.), it is understood that the project is progressing smoothly in accordance with the planned schedule (i'm not telling easily). This shows the flexibility of Turkish design, level of experience, knowledge and professionalism of Turkish engineers/experts and workers.

The nomenclature may not mean much anymore, the PN will probably organize based on the size and capability of its ships.

The previous CNS said the PN is aiming for 20+ "major surface vessels" -- I think these are likely 2,000+ ton ships with ASW, AShW and AAW.

If accurate, the PN would have at least 12 such vessels in the roadmap (4 F-22P, 4 MILGEM, 4 Type 054A/P). I suspect the remaining 8 ships would likely be Jinnah-class frigates (assuming the PN retains the F-22Ps).

Lets also not forget the 'larger' variants of the Damen OPVs (Yarmook-class) that the ex-CNS Abbasi mentioned in his farewell address, 6 vessels were under negotiations.

That would give us:
- 4 Zulfiqar-class (F-22P), 4 Babur-class (MILGEM), 4 Type 054A/P
AND
- 2 Yarmook-class (Damen 1900 OPV) @ 2300 tons, 6 'larger' Yarmook-class variants
AND
- ?? Jinnah-class frigates

In total: 20 + 4 or 5 = 24-25 surface vessels of 2000+ tons each

The recent special news supplement of the KSEW also mentioned that the 1st 'gunboat' was under construction

Lets also not forget the 'larger' variants of the Damen OPVs (Yarmook-class) that the ex-CNS Abbasi mentioned in his farewell address, 6 vessels were under negotiations.

That would give us:
AND
- 2 Yarmook-class (Damen 1900 OPV) @ 2300 tons, 6 'larger' Yarmook-class variants
AND

The recent special news supplement of the KSEW also mentioned that the 1st 'gunboat' was under construction

I think there is some ambuguity regarding the 6 vessels being from Damen or being the Jinnahs

Ships are classified by their roles & capability and not by their tonnage. Earlier, tonnage was used as a reference to state the capability of a ship, but not anymore.
Europeans' characterization of ships is different to that of US's and so are the roles. Some of European navies classify their frigates as destroyer. That is why you would sometimes listen from Pakistan Naval officers stating their F22P's as destroyers.

To understand the concepts & differences between every kind of ship, watch this:

As far as PN Milgem is concerned, it's a frigate. They may call it Corvette, it's because it is evolved from Corvette class of a ship.

There are no plans for any larger/heavier version of ship from Daman shipyard.

The six heavy tonnage ships will be "heavy" in true sense. (Not Corvettes)

That would give us:
AND
AND

There are no plans for any larger/heavier version of ship from Daman shipyard.

The six heavy tonnage ships will be "heavy" in true sense. (Not Corvettes)
I have serious doubt about the number 20 main vessels which former Naval Chief said. I think it would be more then 20. Even close to 30. What I mean is that I doubt that F-22 P or Damen Corvettes will be counted among those 20. Secondly in his speech former Naval Chief was clearly referring to heavier version of Damen Corvette.

Back
Top Bottom