What's new

Pakistan to oppose armed intervention in Syria

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan would oppose any resolution calling for authorization of military action against Syria on alleged use of chemical weapons if put to vote before the UN Security Council, informed sources told The Nation.

Pakistan’s foreign policy does not afford any room for supporting a resolution for armed intervention as in principle it is against use of force and undermining the sovereignty of a state.
The issue will be discussed and debated in the Parliament today when Prime Minister’s advisor on National Security and Foreign Affairs presents the government’s position on this matter.
Sartaj Aziz, who has been facing scathing criticism from the opposition parties for not yet giving a clear policy statement on Syria will brief the parliamentarians on this and other key foreign policy issues.

On Wednesday the entire opposition in the National Assembly staged a walk-out to protest that it had not been briefed by Aziz or the Foreign Office on Syria and LoC situation.
Sartaj Aziz was at the Foreign Office till late Thursday night preparing the statement that is expected to give government’s policy response to the evolving situation.

On Thursday evening when The Nation approached him for his comments on Syria, Aziz was in no mood to take questions as he was in the midst of preparing the statement. “I am working on a statement for the parliament and therefore I do not want to divert my attention to anything else.”
Earlier in the day Foreign Office Spokesperson Aizaz Chaudhary told a news briefing here that as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council, Pakistan was keeping a close watch on the developing situation in Syria.

In a hint that Pakistan would not vote in favour of a resolution calling for military action, he noted: “Pakistan believes that sovereignty and territorial integrity of Syria must be respected. Use of force must be avoided at all costs as the people of Syria have already suffered enormously.”
He added: “Pakistan condemns the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria. In this context, Pakistan notes that a United Nations team is conducting an investigation. We stress the importance of establishing facts before any precipitate action is taken.”

On Syria Pakistan has repeatedly urged all sides to pursue a policy of restraint and engage in an inclusive political dialogue to facilitate a peaceful resolution of the conflict.
Islamabad is also mindful of the fact that there are two opinions on the use of chemical weapons in Syria. US bloc claims that Syrian government used chemical weapons and the Russian bloc claims that the insurgents used chemical weapons with active assistance of countries closely allied with the US.

On the differing opinions on forces behind use of chemical weapons in Syria, the Foreign Office spokesman said Pakistan had condemned the alleged use of chemical weapons.
Referring to the UN investigation team in Syria conducting investigation into the matter, he emphasised: “We believe the international community should wait for the outcome of investigation before any action is taken.”

Pakistan to oppose armed intervention in Syria

We stress the importance of establishing facts before any precipitate action is taken.

Though not the official statement but this part adds a little ambiguity.

I don't get this. If Buddhists kill Muslims , Pakistan is all for a resolution in the UN. But if Muslims are killed in Syria , now over 100k , pakistan is silent or even opposed to any action.

what proof does Pakistan need? have the fact that 100k been massacred to date not enough? why would gassing even matter to a fellow Islamic country?

'Syrian rebels take responsibility for the chemical attack admitting the weapons were provided by Saudis' - source

August 30 2013

61h_50439681.jpg

In an interview with Dale Gavlak, a Middle East correspondent for the Associated Press and Mint Press News, Syrian rebels tacitly implied that they were responsible for last week’s chemical attack. Some information could not immediately be independently verified.

“From numerous interviews with doctors, Ghouta residents, rebel fighters and their families….many believe that certain rebels received chemical weapons via the Saudi intelligence chief, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, and were responsible for carrying out the (deadly) gas attack,” he writes in the article.

The rebels noted it was a result of an accident caused by rebels mishandling chemical weapons provided to them.

“My son came to me two weeks ago asking what I thought the weapons were that he had been asked to carry,” said Abu Abdel-Moneim, the father of a rebel fighting to unseat Assad, who lives in Ghouta.

As Gavlak reports, Abdel-Moneim said his son and 12 other rebels died in a weapons storage tunnel. The father stated the weapons were provided to rebel forces by a Saudi militant, known as Abu Ayesha, describing them as having a “tube-like structure” while others were like a “huge gas bottle.”

“They didn’t tell us what these arms were or how to use them,” complained a female fighter named ‘K’. “We didn’t know they were chemical weapons. We never imagined they were chemical weapons.”

“When Saudi Prince Bandar gives such weapons to people, he must give them to those who know how to handle and use them,” she warned. She, like other Syrians, do not want to use their full names for fear of retribution.

Gavlak also refers to an article in the UK’s Daily Telegraph about secret Russian-Saudi talks stating that Prince Bandar threatened Russian President Vladimir Putin with terror attacks at next year’s Winter Olympics in Sochi if Russia doesn’t agree to change its stance on Syria.

“Prince Bandar pledged to safeguard Russia’s naval base in Syria if the Assad regime is toppled, but he also hinted at Chechen terrorist attacks on Russia’s Winter Olympics in Sochi if there is no accord,” the article stated.

“I can give you a guarantee to protect the Winter Olympics next year. The Chechen groups that threaten the security of the games are controlled by us,” Saudi Prince allegedly told Vladimir Putin.

Mint Press News stated that some of the information couldn’t be independently verified and pledged to continue providing updates on this topic.

Voice of Russia, Mint Press News

'Syrian rebels take responsibility for the chemical attack admitting the weapons were provided by Saudis' - source [/url]

a few rebels spouting garbage does not make it true. but wait, you are also the guy who think the Americans did 911 on themselves. nvm.

a few rebels spouting garbage does not make it true. but wait, you are also the guy who think the Americans did 911 on themselves. nvm.

Don't read my post, I would rather to ignore you, you are not making sense and same blabbering, go help yourself or retarded kid avatar.

Don't read my post, I would rather to ignore you, you are not making sense and same blabbering, go help yourself or retarded kid avatar.

since you attacked my child in my avatar.-- I'll let you know he is quite brilliant and in fact among the few students in his grade in a Talented and gifted program. His upbringing unlike yours is a class apart.

Pakistan urges strong American restraint over Syria

Pakistan-Spokesman-Nationalturk-20-610x342.jpg

Pakistan has strongly urged United States of America and western powers to avoid use of force in Syria.
In a statement, Foreign Office spokesperson Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry Sunday said that Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected.
He expressed deep concerns over the ongoing violence and threat of possible American military action looming large over already embattled Syria.
Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry also strongly condemned the alleged use of chemical weapons of Syrian government.
“All the engaged parties should adopt course of dialogue instead of violence and peaceful resolution of the conflict should be sought out”, he said.

Pakistan urges strong American restraint over Syria

In my opinion Pakistan's stand has been very clear on Syria: Hands off! No foreign intervention by ANY ONE. I think Pakistan's Ambassador to the UN said that months ago that that is Pakistan's principled stand.
A brave statement considering it would not please the GCC Arabs; but then Pakistan is, so far and mercifully a marginal player in that conflict so any diplomatic and economic backlash is minimal--yet.

Pakistan taken commendable and principal position in Syria matter and showing level of independence infused in recent foreign policy formulation. This will serve Pakistan better for long term interest in the region and in extra region.

Pakistani envoy stresses political solution to resolve Syrian crisis, no precipitate use of force

masood-khan.jpg

NEW YORK: Pakistan's Ambassador to United Nations Masood Khan on Sunday called for avoiding any precipitate use of force against Syria, saying the over two-year old crisis in the Middle East country should be resolved politically.

"The international community should heed the call of UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon for a political solution to the crisis in Syria, because military solution is not an option, now or late," he said while commenting on the latest developments in the region during an interview with Associated Press of Pakistan (APP).

Specifically asked for his comments about President Barack Obama's speech on Syria, Masood Khan said the US leader's move to take his plan for military action against Syria to Congress was a "wise decision."

"This is the time for a strategic pause," the Pakistani envoy said, adding that the UN Security Council should reassemble to review the situation to take a common stance.

"The hiatus in the Council is one of the factors that has prolonged the conflict in Syria," he said, referring to differences between Russia and the United States over how to deal with the crisis.

"The divisions (within the Council) should blur and all members should explore common ground inside and outside the Council", he stated.

Pakistan, he emphasized, condemns the alleged use of chemical weapons by whomsoever authorized or executed. "We condemn the attack on August 21 that claimed the lives of hundreds of civilians, including women and children," he said, noting there is a sense of urgency to bring closure to the Syrian conflict so that such catastrophes do not recur. "But diplomacy will be a stronger weapon than force".

"Pakistan supports multilateral diplomacy, international consensus, and legitimacy of action anchored in the UN Charter," he said. "That is why, it is important for the permanent members of the Council to resolve their differences to pave the way for the second Geneva peace conference.

"The Government and Opposition forces of Syria need diplomacy, not war. We have appealed to all sides to halt hostilities in the interest of their and their state's integrity and work earnestly for Geneva -II conference to work on peace and conciliation.

"And for that the Security Council provides a better route, a better vehicle."

Noting that UN track was moving slowly, Masood Khan said the UN inspectors who have just concluded their visit to Syria will be able to say if chemical weapons were used, without identifying who used them.

But if the Council agrees, another mission could be sent for that purpose, he said adding, "Responsibility has to be affixed conclusively before Council action".

"We must wait for the results of UN investigations teams findings. It is also important to determine what kind of chemical agents or substances were used", he said.

Pakistani envoy stresses political solution to resolve Syrian crisis, no precipitate use of force

In my opinion Pakistan's stand has been very clear on Syria: Hands off! No foreign intervention by ANY ONE. I think Pakistan's Ambassador to the UN said that months ago that that is Pakistan's principled stand.
A brave statement considering it would not please the GCC Arabs; but then Pakistan is, so far and mercifully a marginal player in that conflict so any diplomatic and economic backlash is minimal--yet.

1.Then why does Pakistan not have the same stance in Myanmar? Why is it asking UN to do something about the killing of Muslims there? why not " hands off" attitude there?

2. Then why does Pakistan not have the same stance in Egypt? why not " hands off" attitude there?

3. Then why does Pakistan not have the same stance in Israel? why not " hands off" attitude there?

Is it principled to stand by will 100k people are slaughtered, gassed and shelled to death?

CAN YOU HEAR YOURSELVES? I don't understand you people honestly, these are human beings, babies, children , women , elderly, civilians being slaughtered to the tunes of 100K and more. I have more of a moral compass as an atheist than you that call yourself god fearing, religious people, I'm sorry to say.

Back
Top Bottom