Pakistan to fight for terrorist convict's release

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

By ASHRAF KHAN (AP) – 17 minutes ago

KARACHI, Pakistan — Pakistan's prime minister called a female scientist convicted of trying to kill U.S. interrogators in Afghanistan "the daughter of the nation" on Friday and vowed to campaign for her release from an American jail.

Yousuf Raza Gilani's comments appeared to be an attempt to manage public anger over the 86-year sentence handed down to Aafia Siddiqui by a New York court on Thursday. The case of the American-trained Pakistani scientist and mother has struck a chord among Islamist groups and ordinary Pakistanis, many of whom are convinced of her innocence.

The sentencing prompted demonstrations in at least two cities, with much of the anger directed at the already unpopular Pakistani government for failing to somehow intervene in her case.

Around 100 members of an Islamist political party briefly scuffled with police in the capital, Islamabad, after Friday prayers as they attempted to march to the U.S. Embassy. Authorities in other cities were also bracing for protests.

Gilani said he had lobbied U.S. officials for Siddiqui's release to "improve the U.S. image in Pakistan."

"We all are united, and we want the daughter of the nation to come back to Pakistan," he told parliament, which unanimously adopted a resolution demanding Siddiqui's repatriation.

"I fought for her, my lawyer fought for her and now I will take up this matter on a political level," he said.

Siddiqui, 38, was detained in Afghanistan in 2008. She was found guilty of seizing a weapon from one of her captors and trying to shoot U.S. authorities who were interrogating her there.

Many Pakistanis believe claims by Siddiqui's supporters that the U.S.
abducted her long before that and kept her in a secret prison for years as it pursued its fight against global terrorism. U.S. officials deny those claims, though they had listed Siddiqui as a suspect wanted for alleged links to al-Qaida before her arrest.
Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

The Associated Press: Pakistan to fight for terrorist convict's release

By ASHRAF KHAN (AP) – 17 minutes ago

KARACHI, Pakistan — Pakistan's prime minister called a female scientist convicted of trying to kill U.S. interrogators in Afghanistan "the daughter of the nation"

Boy! I'm afraid how well that statement's going to go with the americans!

Excellent :cheesy:. We are closer to a revolution... let's hope it turns out well enough
:pakistan:

the nation has been hit badly because of floods and terrorism, they probably wont have enough energy for revolution. secondly, dont try revolution, not all of them turn to be good.

Pakistan's prime minister called a female scientist convicted of trying to kill U.S. interrogators in Afghanistan "the daughter of the nation" on Friday and vowed to campaign for her release from an American jail.

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,this msg should not reach to u.s.

the nation has been hit badly because of floods and terrorism, they probably wont have enough energy for revolution. secondly, dont try revolution, not all of them turn to be good.

All the more anger against the govt. and america...

Anyway, I don't think revolution will be necessary... I personally hope mush is back as president. Anyway, next elections are a long way away and the parties who truly want to serve Pakistan and its people must get ready.

All the more anger against the govt. and america...

Anyway, I don't think revolution will be necessary... I personally hope mush is back as president. Anyway, next elections are a long way away and the parties who truly want to serve Pakistan and its people must get ready.

Believe me if Musharaf takes charge of your country, it will be good for you. At least he wont have the idea of filling his and his friends pocket from pakistani Baitul Mal. Before Musharaf time, in Paksitan the Police and other officers took bribe in a bad way, especially for the homeless guys like us refugees. When i visited your country during musharaf time, the first thing i noticed was the airport which was empty of those officials who demanded money from you. they were smiley and worked with speed-no demand for money, then i went to special branch to register, and i saw a completely different picture than it used to be. in the past, we had to pay between Rs. 20-100 to get our documents registered and it was usually after couple of days that you could get te documents back, but during Mush, it only took me half an hour to register with no bribe and the offcial was polite and smiley again, i couldnt believe it all. Now, it was only a personal experience which i dont want to give it a general picture, but i personally as an outsider believe that he is better for you guys than the other leaders.

Poor Americans,

If they take action against Osama Bin Laden without trial, they get blamed

If they take action against Aafia Siqqiqui with trial, they still get blamed.:cheesy:

This thing show two face of Pakistan when it come to terrorism and also for Pakistan terrorism is limited to TTP and if Pakistanis is or was helping USA because of money and to counter its enemy India .And it can be easily seen that USA is not interested to help Pakistan against India in any issue and billions of dollar what Pakistan was asking is also not flowing in.....so Pakistan turning toward other country which can satisfied there need...may be china..

Believe me if Musharaf takes charge of your country, it will be good for you. At least he wont have the idea of filling his and his friends pocket from pakistani Baitul Mal. Before Musharaf time, in Paksitan the Police and other officers took bribe in a bad way, especially for the homeless guys like us refugees. When i visited your country during musharaf time, the first thing i noticed was the airport which was empty of those officials who demanded money from you. they were smiley and worked with speed-no demand for money, then i went to special branch to register, and i saw a completely different picture than it used to be. in the past, we had to pay between Rs. 20-100 to get our documents registered and it was usually after couple of days that you could get te documents back, but during Mush, it only took me half an hour to register with no bribe and the offcial was polite and smiley again, i couldnt believe it all. Now, it was only a personal experience which i dont want to give it a general picture, but i personally as an outsider believe that he is better for you guys than the other leaders.

Ya, I know, that's why I support mr mush
:tup:...

However, I really hope he also doesn't get the country doing what America wants.

I am voting for Musharraf next elections

This thing show two face of Pakistan when it come to terrorism and also for Pakistan terrorism is limited to TTP and if Pakistanis is or was helping USA because of money and to counter its enemy India .And it can be easily seen that USA is not interested to help Pakistan against India in any issue and billions of dollar what Pakistan was asking is also not flowing in.....so Pakistan turning toward other country which can satisfied there need...may be china..

Ok. What next?

javz.jpg

IKJAACTLY...:smokin:

There is a thread running "Why I don't contribute to disaster-stricken Pakistan". Think about it people, why would anybody help you if you blame them for sentencing a person convicted of terrorist activity?

You cannot both blame the hand feeding you and yet beat it with a stick out of emotional outbursts.:disagree:

You cannot both blame the hand feeding you and yet beat it with a stick out of emotional outbursts.:disagree:

Sadly, that only applies ideally to personal life. In political context, it means Pakistan is the slave of America.

Sadly, that only applies ideally to personal life. In political context, it means Pakistan is the slave of America.

Pakistan and Pakistanis are the slaves of their own mentality. The day Pakistanis understand that, everything will change.

Back
Top Bottom