What's new

Pakistan to face economic sanctions if doesn't open NATO routes

It is not going to be as simple as that. Nobody will say the sanctions are for blocking supply routes. The sanctions could be easily made on grounds of Pakistan no longer being an ally but an adversary in the WoT, with failure to eliminate terrorist sanctuaries from its territory. The rest will follow.

Pakistan's policies should avoid that possibility.

You mean Americans will lie so that they can try to meet their visions

No supply routes are required for an American view for our neighbourhood which asides India and the puppet regime in Kabul no one else in the neighbourhood buys
Hahaha, do you think you need to buy it? It has been shoved down your/our throats, even your version of Afghanistan will not see many takers. When you do not have many options you should try to make do.

You mean Americans will lie so that they can try to meet their visions
Have you not noticed, they can do practically anything to meet their vision..

Nahi bhai, China will do whatever it takes to serves its own national interests, not Pakistan's. Meray pattian parhaaney sey koi faraq nahi parey ga.

Quite and they wont do what is in American interest unless it coincides with what they want which it does not

Sirs, with all due respect. Is this not hypocrisy ? You, and the others in this thread, are sitting comfortably in western countries egging your home land on to adopt a policy that will serve no purpose than end up being the proverbial bullet to the head.

The men and women of your country and not you will have to face the sanctions. From what i understand, the outcome of crippling economic sanctions on ailing and corrupt economy is never a pretty picture.

Please try and think before you hand out advice.

You could take a leaf out of your own book whilst you are at it you could do some research. It is well established that economic sanctions do not get the desired results

BBC News - Analysis: Do economic sanctions work?

Don't be too surprised if we didn't. I sense your frustration and desperacy there.

I respect Pakistan's stand and they deserve an apology and more for the prices paid and still paying for its efforts to safeguard both International and regional security.

thank you mate we appreciate Chinese views on these matters:pakistan::china:

That is all I said, nothing more.

Don't you think China's possible response will be part of the calculation that goes into sanctions, if they are imposed, and steps incorporated to align that with the overall goals?

That is not what you said. You suggested in response to my assertion that China would assist against sanctions that they too would impose sanctions. Then you stated that they would do what was in the China's interest. So why would it be in China's interest to help America in sanctioning its closest ally. Please mate lets try staying rational shall we?

She will say this when she is in India, no surprise there.

The US has slowly started to release prisoners from it's prisoners through a deal with the Taliban. Double crossing no?

Did she not also go to somewhere to talk democracy for Syria with Saud's. She can't even take care of billy

You my dear have hit the nail on the head.

Unfortunately it won't work. Indians (and Chinese and even Iranians) living in the West try to make things easy between their India-US, (similarly China-US, and Iran-US). This makes life easy for Indian expats (similarly Chinese and Iranian expats)

Many Paks living in the West think they are safe in the comfy apartments of Toronto (or other major cities) while they all push Pakistan into the sanctions land.

These Paks must realize that if something goes really really bad, Americans, Canadians, and UK governments can easily make a new law and kick out all Pakistani origin people or worst throw them in camps.

Western ideas like freedom of speech, citizenship etc. are only meant for lawful and patriotic residents. For those who harbor and act on anti-national urges do not get these goodies.

So if nothing else, Pakistanis living in the West should for their own (and their own kids') long term interest, must actively support pro-West Pakistani policies. Because if they don't, Pakistan will be in trouble for sure, but sooner or later, Pakistani expats too will suffer (citizens or not it doesn't really matter).

Sure some on this board will pooh pooh this and talk about Western hypocrisy and what not. But that's not going to help all those expats being kicked out or being thrown in to WW2 style camps setup for Japanese.

Peace to all.

Hope Pakistan remains pro-West.

Your diatribe is racist. In the UK the majority of its people do not support the govt's policies with Iraq etc. So I as a British Pakistani actually reflect on these issues British public better than it's govt.

Even if sanctions could be imposed over a Pakistani refusal to open the NATO transit routes, the sanctions would not be automatic, since, AFAIK, there is no such 'automatic imposition of sanctions' rule in the UNSC resolution that called on States to support the Afghan invasion.

Any UN imposition of sanctions would have to be debated and approved in the UNSC, which in turn would lead into Pakistani protests over the drone strikes and soldiers being massacred by the US on Pakistani territory, since those issues are at the heart of the NATO supply blockade.

Hahaha, do you think you need to buy it? It has been shoved down your/our throats, even your version of Afghanistan will not see many takers. When you do not have many options you should try to make do.

Have you not noticed, they can do practically anything to meet their vision..

Well obviously its not cos they are not getting routes. No they cannot do everything. Like can they get rid of their unsustainable debt -no. Some of you Indians need to realise that American white men are not almighty God

Our govt want to open supply routes but
"HAFIZ SAEED"
and "WE" the public 'll never let it go.
I think i don't need to explain "THE GREAT MAN" HAFIZ SAHAB.. ;)

Even if sanctions could be imposed over a Pakistani refusal to open the NATO transit routes, the sanctions would not be automatic, since, AFAIK, there is no such 'automatic imposition of sanctions' rule in the UNSC resolution that called on States to support the Afghan invasion.

Any UN imposition of sanctions would have to be debated and approved in the UNSC, which in turn would lead into Pakistani protests over the drone strikes and soldiers being massacred by the US on Pakistani territory, since those issues are at the heart of the NATO supply blockade.
Did US ask for anyone's permission before imposing sanctions on Iran.[ other than UN sanctions].
Still did almost all countries except the usual suspects Russia, China, India etc. not follow them. And even if not followed, dealing with Iran has become a hell lot difficult.

Did US ask for anyone's permission before imposing sanctions on Iran.[ other than UN sanctions].
Still did almost all countries except the usual suspects Russia, China, India etc. not follow them. And even if not followed, dealing with Iran has become a hell lot difficult.

He was talking about the legal position. The Iranian and Pakistani situation are not comparable. We the majority of Pakistani people the public do not accept that we have to follow American diktat

Anyway is it not great that 6 months after closure of the routes we are discussing them lol. Americans and their advocates thought they would be reopened within weeks

Any country can impose 'unilateral sanctions', that is not really the point of this discussion is it?

Well obviously its not cos they are not getting routes. No they cannot do everything. Like can they get rid of their unsustainable debt -no. Some of you Indians need to realise that American white men are not almighty God
Maybe you should ask this question to the GCC. India does not have a religion and so we have no God, we make d o with what we got, which accordingly is off-topic too, why do you wanna derail?

Any country can impose 'unilateral sanctions', that is not really the point of this discussion is it?
But when those unilateral sanctions have an effect as much as or greater than the sanctions imposed by the U.N. Then I feel they must be considered.

That is not what you said. You suggested in response to my assertion that China would assist against sanctions that they too would impose sanctions. Then you stated that they would do what was in the China's interest. So why would it be in China's interest to help America in sanctioning its closest ally. Please mate lets try staying rational shall we?............

My rationality may be beyond you at the moment. What I am saying is that China may be offered enough incentives in other areas to enable it to participate in the sanctions, having enough to decide which way is best serves its national interests, as part of the whole background work that goes into preparing a consensus.

Maybe you should ask this question to the GCC. India does not have a religion and so we have no God, we make d o with what we got, which accordingly is off-topic too, why do you wanna derail?

I was not off topic. You are. My response was to the assertions that America can do anything. Which has been proven to not be the case

Back
Top Bottom