What's new

Pakistan to begin local vaccine production from May

UAE and german sinopharm study show efficacy with 2 doses upto 85-90%

But I think single dose of 65-75 % eficacy cansinobio strategy is better

Yes but what was the efficacy with single dose?

Did they even measure that? If Pakistan is planning to use that strategy then it needs to know.

Chilean real world data shows SinoPharm single dose is practically useless.

UK's single-dose AstraZeneca strategy paid off as nearly all the protection comes from the first dose and the 2nd only slightly increases protection, with the main reason for it is to give longer lasting protection.

Pakistan to begin local vaccine production from May

827439_9736953_vaccine5_updates.jpg
A health worker administers a dose of Chinese-made Sinopharm vaccine to a senior citizen during the coronavirus vaccination campaign at a private hospital in Karachi on Thursday, April 08, 2021. — PPI/File
The National Institute of Health's officials said Wednesday Pakistan would start the local production of CanSinoBio's coronavirus vaccine next month.
The NIH officials said the arrangements to prepare CanSinoBio's coronavirus vaccine have been done, while the raw material for the vaccine would reach Pakistan in early May.
Chinese experts are also present in Islamabad to help in the preparation of the vaccine, officials said, adding NIH had started the venture in collaboration with a Chinese company.
The official said they were hopeful that the single-dose vaccine would be available by the end of May for public inoculation.
It is pertinent to mention here that CanSinoBio's officials had trained NIH experts to prepare vaccine doses.

Chalo ab bharion ka munh to kam az kam bnd hoga

Like I said real-world Chilean data where they jabbed millions of people with 90:10 Sinopharm:Pfizer vaccine ratio.

One dose is practically pointless as the Chileans provided 3% protection from symptomatic infection.
However that sounds like a different vaccine to the one being discussed in this thread. Although I'm not sure about phase 3 trial data on this one.

they will bash this vaccine now
Bhartis will say China maal ka bharosa nahi.

With importing about 75 billion USD of Chinese products.

Read that if India stops Chinese imports, there economy will be ruined.

Very good strategy. Following points summarize the benefits for Pakistan:

1 - Late stage largest trials of this vaccine were conducted in Pakistan, so we have all the efficacy data available.

2 - The efficacy at preventing symptomatic cases is 65.7% and 91% effective in preventing severe disease. It can be compared with another single shot vaccine from J&J in terms of efficacy, and exceeds the WHO standard of 50% to be considered effective.

3 - It is a single shot vaccine which is better in developing nations where we need protection fast, with single shot, because there is less likelihood of the person returning on the set date for a second dose.

4 - The cost of storage is quite less, as it does not require extreme cold temperature refrigeration.

5 - WIth production in Pakistan, stupid conspiracies can be controlled, cost can be managed, and a second shot can be considered for increased immunity (although not required).

6 - Covid is not going anywhere anytime soon. Different strains will continue hitting the world and local production means that we can maintain the efficacy by tweaking the vaccine a little bit using the Pakistani strains.

91% efficacy at preventing severe disease means that instead of 100 people requiring hospitalization, 9 will be hospitalized. This will greatly reduce the pressure on our hospitals.

is it good against different strains? and why every country has kind of different strains? and what about Pakistan? Any special strain detected?
Viruses undergo mutations due to different reasons and that is why there are 8 known strains. However we don't have a Pakistani variant yet.

is it good against different strains? and why every country has kind of different strains? and what about Pakistan? Any special strain detected?
First of all, I am not a virologist.. But I have read so much on this subject in the past few months, and took part in administration of one of the phase 3 trials of a Chinese vaccines, that I now know a little bit about how vaccines work. But please, don't consider my knowledge at par with a medical doctor or a virologist.

Until now, the vaccine is effective against the prevalent strains. If mutations are significant, vaccines need to be updated to remain effective.

Every virus has a tendency to mutate, and they mutate all the time. In India, more that 700 mutations have been identified so far. In Pakistan as well, there might be many more strains which might be matching with other countries, while some strains may differ as well.

Some mutations are significant and require studies to keep a check on the efficacy of available vaccines. Alhamdolillah, until now, scientists have not identified any strain (including the double mutant Indian one) that has dropped the available vaccines' efficacy considerably.

It should be the case with Cansino as well. Although vaccine efficacy might be dropped in the coming months, it can be updated with new mutations in Pakistan to keep the vaccine effective.

Back
Top Bottom