What's new

Pakistan to begin local vaccine production from May

Good.
I dont see Sputnik V being imported again anytime soon, better to go local.

does anyone know if CanSino(from china) is being adminstered privately? I know Gov is giving it for 50+ but like to get it privately for less than 30.

Good.
I dont see Sputnik V being imported again anytime soon, better to go local.

does anyone know if CanSino(from china) is being adminstered privately? I know Gov is giving it for 50+ but like to get it privately for less than 30.
I don't think you can get it privately.

Sputnik V is a remarkable vaccine though. Keep checking with the private hospitals in case they import again.

A single dose vaccine despite having less efficacy compared to double dose is more effective in curbing the spread of corona , one because double dose takes long time to develop immunity by then many people catch the virus
2nd it will save lives it starts working after a single dose
Single dose has logistical advantages. Easier to schedule and requires lower storage temperatures. Single dose vaccines have lower efficacy but will still prevent severe infection and death.

First of all, I am not a virologist.. But I have read so much on this subject in the past few months, and took part in administration of one of the phase 3 trials of a Chinese vaccines, that I now know a little bit about how vaccines work. But please, don't consider my knowledge at par with a medical doctor or a virologist.

Until now, the vaccine is effective against the prevalent strains. If mutations are significant, vaccines need to be updated to remain effective.

Every virus has a tendency to mutate, and they mutate all the time. In India, more that 700 mutations have been identified so far. In Pakistan as well, there might be many more strains which might be matching with other countries, while some strains may differ as well.

Some mutations are significant and require studies to keep a check on the efficacy of available vaccines. Alhamdolillah, until now, scientists have not identified any strain (including the double mutant Indian one) that has dropped the available vaccines' efficacy considerably.

It should be the case with Cansino as well. Although vaccine efficacy might be dropped in the coming months, it can be updated with new mutations in Pakistan to keep the vaccine effective.
but what kind of vaccine is cansinoBio? is it new mRNA or DNA or some other old method?

Screenshot 2021-04-28 235243.png

Screenshot 2021-04-28 235406.png

but what kind of vaccine is cansinoBio? is it new mRNA or DNA or some other old method?

View attachment 738293

View attachment 738294

It works in the same manner as Russian Sputnik V.. and as far as I know, this method is not new.

It doesn't use whole inactivated virus (like sinopharm does), instead, it loads a specific antigen of Corona Virus onto a common cold adenovirus. This adenovirus works as a carrier of the antigen only.

Now unless in a mutation, that antigen is replaced, the efficacy will remain.

This is what I understood a few days back when I studied how this, and the Russian vaccines are working.

Pakistan to begin local vaccine production from May

827439_9736953_vaccine5_updates.jpg
A health worker administers a dose of Chinese-made Sinopharm vaccine to a senior citizen during the coronavirus vaccination campaign at a private hospital in Karachi on Thursday, April 08, 2021. — PPI/File
The National Institute of Health's officials said Wednesday Pakistan would start the local production of CanSinoBio's coronavirus vaccine next month.
The NIH officials said the arrangements to prepare CanSinoBio's coronavirus vaccine have been done, while the raw material for the vaccine would reach Pakistan in early May.
Chinese experts are also present in Islamabad to help in the preparation of the vaccine, officials said, adding NIH had started the venture in collaboration with a Chinese company.
The official said they were hopeful that the single-dose vaccine would be available by the end of May for public inoculation.
It is pertinent to mention here that CanSinoBio's officials had trained NIH experts to prepare vaccine doses.

Excellent news.
But the vaccine does need a double shot.

The article says manufacturing and initially supplies.

Searle is a US pharma...
Searle is helping with production of Chinese vaccines in Pakistan? Great news!

Searle is the Pakistani pharma company that has reached the agreement with the Chinese firm, Livzon Mapharm Inc.

Is this actual manufacture, or simply repacking of bulk vaccine into individual doses?

There would be no point of it.

“Searle Company has concluded an exclusive licensing and supply agreement with Livzon Mapharm Inc. for the Recombinant Novel Coronavirus Vaccine (V-01). The licensing agreement also covers the manufacturing transition of (V-01) in Pakistan,” the company said.

The licensing agreement also covers the manufacturing transition of (V-01) in Pakistan

That is great news for improving local availability of the vaccine, and establishing such facilities will also help deal with any new variations.

Back
Top Bottom