What's new

Pakistan: The undeclared ban on playing music lingers on

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you sir for giving me full picture of this incident..but even then,if against a threat,a country legalized the ban on performing music concert in institution,what'll stop the terrorists group to issue a threat to any music concert in the country,to give government another excuse to ban music??Pakistani singers are a huge hit in India,thats why i'm asking this question..lack of music industry is one thing,legalizing a ban against music(against a bomb blast,which is a terrorist activity) is another thing..In India too,there are some morons giving fatwa against music..its our good luck that things didn't come to this stage(bomb blast)..

You are most welcome and to answer your question, sir, actually the terrorists always threaten every music concert that we have. Last November the Culture festival had to be cancelled due to an extreme threat. However, sir, the music taste in Pakistan has not been panned out. Every urs of a Sufi saint we have has music in it and I know for a fact that Afridi tribesmen from KPK make journey to indulge in such events. I met a few gentlemen in the Mian Mir urs in Lahore. As for the terrorists, most people do not view music as bad, for instance the Coke Studio's mixing of Punjabi/Balochi folk song was much appreciated. The problem comes when the music scene itself is wrongly represented such as Bolloywood erotic songs, with all due respect, that causes many of our conservatives to raise battle cries, though I disagree with them and say that one can enjoy whatever they want the dimension gets a bit more complicated. In a research work on the effects of music that my university conducted it was seen that many (in terms of quantitative data I think it was near about 65-68% though it was done in 2010 and my memory is a bit shaky) Pakistani households in Kasur, Lahore, Pehsawar, Gujrat and Rawalpindi (we are talking of lower-middle and lower class here) have active radios in their houses which run on an average of 4-6 hours a day. The radio stations most tuned to were music and the females reported that they find it easier to work with music (household chores).

The picture, again, as I said is a bit more complicated. I attended the Atif Aslam concert a year back at Royal Palm and there were threats but by 2 am the whole ground was packed and mostly by families.

Kindly reciprocate to the logical bit too-
Hazrat Molana @Zarvan has very well pointed out the reasons why it is on the first page with references-

I would like to but I can't. It's funny, actually :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hyperion @jaibi @Secur @Armstrong I is no allowed to have BIG loud topless party in Islu?? Damn it, I was thinking of coming over and inviting you all. :frown:

Singing is haram- Call for prayer is a basic tenant-
Can any one compare a Call for prayer to something like singing?-
Yeah only hindus can- Silly lot-
What part confusing you?- your bhajans and azan are essentially different-
Dont imagine Azan be like bhajans- full of music and dances-

Scientifically speaking singing is the tonal variation of phases in the voice that cause rhythmic variation in the over all strand (in terms of acoustics). Though not always done so but many azans are melodious and thus technically singing. Let me give you an example: if someone gives the azan thusly: Allah hu Akbar, Allah hu Akbar ... (all flat same tone, that is called a-tonal, like reading an office memo when you are bored)

If they do it so: Alla'h-hu-Akbaaar-Allaaa'ha-hu-Akbaar (tonal variation in rhythm, that is singing)

I mean you no offense I believe your problem is against music, non-speech, as many schools of thoughts in Islam do and that's perfectly fine. Yet, there are Muslims who do not see a problem or a clash between Music and Islam.

Regards

@Hyperion @jaibi @Secur @Armstrong I is no allowed to have BIG loud topless party in Islu?? Damn it, I was thinking of coming over and inviting you all. :frown:

Judging from your orientation at the Whatever post and repeated assaults on @hinduguy to out for a date I don't think there'd be any problem regarding a topless party for your taste :D

That too -- Khushboo Lagga Kay!!!! :partay:

Judging from your orientation at the Whatever post and repeated assaults on @hinduguy to out for a date I don't think there'd be any problem regarding a topless party for your taste :D

Scientifically speaking singing is the tonal variation of phases in the voice that cause rhythmic variation in the over all strand (in terms of acoustics). Though not always done so but many azans are melodious and thus technically singing. Let me give you an example: if someone gives the azan thusly: Allah hu Akbar, Allah hu Akbar ... (all flat same tone, that is called a-tonal, like reading an office memo when you are bored)

If they do it so: Alla'h-hu-Akbaaar-Allaaa'ha-hu-Akbaar (tonal variation in rhythm, that is singing)

I mean you no offense I believe your problem is against music, non-speech, as many schools of thoughts in Islam do and that's perfectly fine. Yet, there are Muslims who do not see a problem or a clash between Music and Islam.

Regards

My orientation is well known, unfortunately the apple of my eyes @ZYXW is missing in action from PDF- @Hyperion has stolen her from me and I shall one day exact terrible revenge for that slight.:angry: But for @hinduguy, anything man- I am willing to swing. Its akin to Hype leaving Butty in a happy mood for a week or two.:D

Let me be more precise.

hooters.gif

IS singing and music actually haram?? Sufi songs are haram?:what:

My orientation is well known, unfortunately the apple of my eyes @ZYXW is missing in action from PDF- @Hyperion has stolen her from me and I shall one day exact terrible revenge for that slight.:angry: But for @hinduguy, anything man- I am willing to swing. Its akin to Hype leaving Butty in a happy mood for a week or two.:D

Let me be more precise.

hooters.gif

IS singing and music actually haram?? Sufi songs are haram?:what:

Singing is not haraam, we actually sing whenever we talk with elated emotions. Some school of thoughts in the Muslim world consider it haraam/forbidden others do not. Most South Asain Muslims are of the latter denomination enjoying music especially Sufi folk songs.

Singing is not haraam, we actually sing whenever we talk with elated emotions. Some school of thoughts in the Muslim world consider it haraam/forbidden others do not. Most South Asain Muslims are of the latter denomination enjoying music especially Sufi folk songs.

So it depends on which sect or "school of thought" one prescribes to? But the sections which do consider it to be haram, what reasons do they furnish their opinion with?
@Hyperion @Oscar @Aeronaut is the following dialogue then factually incorrect?

First of all music is not allowed in Islam Mr secondly we are seeing the results of promoting these vulgar things in our society the music and movies and dramas and fashion shows which are promoting nothing but sex and is resulting in rise of rapes but above all only thing which matter for Muslim is that it is not allowed in Islam

With the support & cooperation of Talibans, Pakistan has a great future ahead!! :tup:

@Dillinger

talking with pakistani members here,what picture I get is,they're not referring various classical songs as "Haram"..its various bands and "Bollywodd erotic songs" which they're calling Haram is..as I hailed from Bengal,me too don't like bollywood,tollywood nautankis(though I love songs as My Uncle as well as my brother is a classical singer,so,me too love songs,though can't sing it..I love playing mouthorgan,though I can play very little) and erotic music videos.but nice songs always finds a way to my headphone,be it bengali,hindi,english,turkish,french,russian or spanish..

I don't care much for Zarvi or his posts, however, it getting 6 thanks by people who I thought were "normal", confuses the crap out of me. :blink:

Oh well, more of em for target practice.... :pop:

I don't care much for Zarvi or his posts, however, it getting 6 thanks by people who I thought were "normal", confuses the crap out of me. :blink:

Oh well, more of em for target practice.... :pop:

You is now updating hitlist?:D

Any Indians on it by any chance? :P

Need baniya help?:azn:

So it depends on which sect or "school of thought" one prescribes to? But the sections which do consider it to be haram, what reasons do they furnish their opinion with?
@Hyperion @Oscar @Aeronaut is the following dialogue then factually incorrect?

I cannot access the video but the school of thought is not different from a sect, basically within the same sect a school of thought refers to a consented interpretation by a group of scholars. They basically point out to a few Hadiths and an interpretation of a Surah of the Quran which is actually regarding poetry (basically, in terms of literary structure all religious text of all religions are poems) and there were a few Arabs and Jews who tried to satirise the Verses that the Prophet (pbuh) recited, this was a tradition of the era to have verbal competition amongst orators who used poetic structures in their oratory and the school of thougths that say music is ok point out that the debate is in the content not the form and that historically Muslim armies marched to war hymns on musical instruments and the Prophet(pbuh)'s arrival at Medina was greeted with music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom