What's new

Featured Pakistan: The Archaeological Marvel

Archaeology dept takes up conservation of Nadra Begum’s Tomb

Tomb-of-Nadra-Begum-finally-being-conserved-1.jpg

LAHORE: Punjab Archaeology Department has finally taken up conservation of the Tomb of Nadra Begum, located near the Shrine of Hazrat Mian Mir, and an amount of Rs10 million has been provided to the department in this regard, Pakistan Today has learnt.

According to sources, the Tomb of Nadra Begum was in shambles owing to the negligence of authorities concerned and there had been no check on its use by the general public earlier. “Despite its dilapidated staircase, visitors had access to the tomb’s rooftop, which could lead to any untoward incident,” they said, adding that the main water channel and fountains area around the tomb was also being used as a cricket pitch.

“A large number of people, including children, were damaging the monument by also littering the heritage site.”

The marble pavilion of the tomb had been turned into a drug den by addicts and nomads were also using the same to sleep at during the night, sources said. “The walls of the tomb were covered in graffiti whereas its entire structure, including the pavilion, had cracks in the lime plaster,” they stated further and added it was high time the authorities took up its restoration as it could’ve collapsed any moment now.

“Nadra Begum was the wife of Mughal Prince Dara Shikoh, the brother of Aurangzeb Alamgir. In 1659, Dara Shikoh was defeated by his brother Aurangzeb in a battle for the throne after which both Dara and Nadra tried to flee to Iran,” a tourist guide, Muhammad Javed, told Pakistan Today.

“She [Nadra] died on their way to Iran and Dara ordered his troops to take the body to Lahore for burial. He also ordered the troops to bury his wife near the shrine of Sufi Saint Hazrat Mian Mir, whom both of them considered their spiritual guide.”

A historian and writer, Tania Qureshi, told this scribe that the tomb was a 17th-century monument.

“The Mughals built tombs in a garden with a dome on the structure, but interestingly Nadra Begum’s tomb was built within a water tank, which bears the flat parapet on all four sides. It stands on a raised platform in the centre of the water tank.”

During the Sikh period, the tomb was raided and all its embellishments, including marble and semi-precious stones, were taken away, she said.

“During the British Raj, the water tank was dismantled by a contractor and he used the bricks for erecting buildings in the Lahore Cantonment.”

Archaeology Department Deputy Director Malik Maqsood told Pakistan Today that a scheme of more than Rs10 million had been approved by the Punjab government and the funds had been released to the department.

“We are in the tendering process and the work on the tomb will soon be started. The time needed to complete its conservation is about 18 months,” he said, adding that the conservation of the entire monument would be carried out by experts.

“The jobs that will be carried out as part of the conservation process include strengthening of the structure, its consolidation along with the restoration of lime plaster, fresco, floors and other parts. The monument will be protected by placing a fence around it and the water channels, as well as the fountains, will also be restored.”

The tomb, he said, will be converted into a tourist spot and guards will be deployed so that no one causes any damage to the site again.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/20...t-takes-up-conservation-of-nadra-begums-tomb/

Archaeologists discover layers of Indo-Greek city in Swat

576ef0295cc04.jpg

Archaeologists excavate Indo-Greek and Saka-Parthian structures at Bazira, Swat. — Dawn photo

MINGORA: Archaeologists in their fresh excavations here at Bazira, Barikot, have discovered large layers of the Indo-Greek city with weapons and coins as well as important pottery forms imported from Greek Bactria and from the Mediterranean area in second century BCE.

576f8cc1e102f.jpg

Indo-Greek coins discovered during the recent excavation at Bazira, Barikot, Swat. ─ Courtesy Italian Archaeological Mission in Swat

Dr Luca Maria Olivieri, head of the Italian Archeological Mission in Pakistan, told Dawn that during their recent excavation in April-June his team unearthed some very important discoveries in Bazira, Swat.

The team was formed by Italian and Pakistani archaeologists, including Elisa Iori of Bologna University, Cristiano Moscatelli of Naples University and Amanullah Afridi and Syed Niaz Ali Shah of the KP Directorate of Archaeology And Museums. Excavation trainings at Barikot are funded by the Pakistan-Italian Debt Swap Programme.

“Very little is known in the archaeology of the sub-continent about the material culture of the Indo-Greek. However, this time we discovered at Barikot ample layers associated not only to the Indo-Greek city (when the settlement was encompassed by the Defensive Wall, 2nd BCE), but also to the pre-Greek city, the Mauryan settlement (3rd BCE),” he said, adding that outside the Indo-Greek defensive wall extensive evidence of the proto-historic village (Gandhara Grave Culture; 7th-8th century BCE) were also found.

576f8cc323003.jpg

Indo-Greek coins discovered during the recent excavation at Bazira, Barikot, Swat. ─ Courtesy Italian Archaeological Mission in Swat

He said that during the recent excavations they also discovered a large late-Kushan Temple with four pillars on the northern part of the excavated area (3rd century CE). “This is the third coeval public cultic space found in the late city, and it is confirming the existence of Buddhist architecture, which has nothing to do with the mainstream stupa-cum-viharas layout of the contemporary Buddhist complexes. Vice-versa, these new architecture have more in common with Central Asian coeval examples and antecedents,” he added.

He said that during the excavations the archaeologists also discovered that all the pre-Greek layers were artificially destroyed and obliterated along the Defensive Wall at the time of its construction, to make space to the fortification, revealing conspicuous traces of the Iron Age village (7th BCE).

Dr Luca said that his team was currently excavating one hectare with a stratigraphy from 7th BCE to 3rd CE in Bazira. The area corresponded to circa 1/12 of the entire city. “The KP government is about to acquire all the excavated areas and a large buffer area around them. We are really grateful to the efforts of the provincial department of archaeology and the government,” he said.

Terming the archaeological site of Barikot one of the largest and most important sites in future, he claimed: “I foresee that in future Barikot will become one of the largest and long-lasting excavation projects in Pakistan (30 years so far) if not in the entire sub-continent. It already represents the only Indo-Greek city excavated at that scale, and one of the few examples of a Kushan urban settlement scientifically excavated in South Asia.”

http://www.dawn.com/news/1267322/archaeologists-discover-layers-of-indo-greek-city-in-swat

Maps of the Indo-Greek Kingdom (centred around the Potohar Plaeteu and KPK), with their capitals at Taxila, Sagila (Sialkot) and Pushkalawati (Peshawar). Kapisa/Alexander in the Caucauses (modern Bagram) was also a major Indo-Greek city.

Indo-GreekMapColor.jpg

Indo-Greek-territory_revision1.jpg

sir, your posting on Swat and other related archaeology messages are much appreciated. after my first visit in Pak in 2016, this year I finally made my trip to Swat. i was fully amazed at ancient buddhist sites left in Swat and nearby Mardan however equally sad i was when seeing these treasures seem poorly respected. (please do not feel offended here) though i did try to read some articles and even a booked published by Italian archaeology team (a version published in Chinese in 2015) before i went in Swat, i found it a loss that i was not accompanied with a guide with background of archaeology knowledge. for this i mean i don't really need one who read for me from introduction brochure. i wonder how your experience was in these places, do you suggest a way i can find proper guide for my next visit to Swat? (hope i don't sound dumb here) thanks !! Sean

I demand the government take notice of illegal trade of selling priceless ivc artifacts.

This is rape of ivc

Kalat Fort, from 18th century Riasat of Kalat

c2e2e1a887f22cdcea77a46989fcd97a.jpg

c0251d708c1e2a108155d62f51301d3b.jpg

3292f85808edb9fec29c5dc5a4813130.jpg

800px-The_street_scene_Taxila_A.D._260.jpg

The street scene Taxila A.D. 260

TaxilaCoin200-100BCE.JPG

A Taxila coin, 200–100 BCE. British Museum.

1280px-Panorama_at_Jaulian_-_Ancient_Buddhist_Monastery_-_Taxila%2C_Pakistan_-_566-31.JPG

Throchi Fort, Kotli, AJK

Throchi Fort is one of the historical place in Kashmir. It is located Near the town of Gulpur in District Kotli, Azad Kashmir. Throchi Fort built in 1640. Throchi Fort is known as crown of Kotli because it is on top of hill and all the places can be seen. Beautiful field, green hills and villages around the fort.

3-Throtchi-Castle.jpg

16227009886_2c0dc192d4_c1.jpg

10275530_378247452374346_1474269704049975858_o.jpg

Fort of Kot Diji, a discarded jewel in the heart of Sindh

kot_deji_2_1514108599.jpg

kot_deji_3_1514108601.jpg

1591615_kotdeji_1514064887_826_640x480.jpg

KHAIRPUR:
The Fort of Kot Diji, a glory of the past built in the heart of Sindh – Khairpur – is in ruins and nobody bothers to even talk about it, maybe because it is not the top priority or will ever be.

A visit to this epic masterpiece of the Talpur dynasty shows a sadistic picture which triggers feelings of gloominess and gives a prime example of how a state’s neglect can cost the nation to this extent.

A visit to this epic masterpiece of the Talpur dynasty shows a sadistic picture which triggers feelings of gloominess and gives a prime example of how a state’s neglect can cost the nation to this extent.

From where should the funds to restore such relics come from?

Such history is the joint responsibility of the nation, not just the government, in my view. If it becomes a low priority compared to other more pressing needs, then such heritage will continue to be lost gradually.

Such history is the joint responsibility of the nation, not just the government, in my view. If it becomes a low priority compared to other more pressing needs, then such heritage will continue to be lost gradually.

True.

historical 200-year-old Talpur-era Naukot Fort, Tharparkar, Sindh

30712746_1953713974670242_6980415731479738136_n.jpg

This is known as gateway of the desert. The town has a fort of Talpur period which is still existing in the original shape. Talpurs had also built forts in Islamkot, Singaro and Mithi, which are not prominent as of Naukot ..

11189155.jpg

Passing through Mirpur Khas – Mithi road, you’ll enter Naukot City, after Jhuddo, and just as the urban city ends, the desert starts, with the fort coming into view, on left, right after a few minutes

Visiting Hours: Open all the time

Entrance Fee: Free

Description: Built in 1814 by Mir Karam Ali Khan Talpur, the fort is a small one but beautiful. There’s usually one person inside the fort who’ll show you around. On entering you’ll see the residential area, with rooms of the King/Mir and family. There are also barracks down here. On left is a big courtyard, with a 2-3 rooms scattered around, in bad shape, and few combined ones on extreme right, with bricks falling from them. The view from top is amazing and gives a wide view of the whole desert and the few houses around the fort. A Must see for fort-lovers.

1-naukot-pano-ptb.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom