What's new

Pakistan should recognize taliban.

‘Pakistanis see talks as only way to end violence’

* Govt official says use of force against militants has achieved nothing * Analyst says Tribal Areas seeing no investment in economic, social
sectors

PESHAWAR: People increasingly see talks with militants as the only way to end a rising tide of violence, but it’s far from certain the militants want to listen.

“The only way is to have a dialogue,” said a government official involved with policy in ethnic Pashtun Tribal Areas on the Afghan border, where militants fighting against both local and Afghan governments are based.

No achievement: “We have used force for quite some time and have not been able to achieve anything,” said the government official, who declined to be identified. “Any amount of force you bring in is only going to get sucked in.”

A local Taliban spokesman said last week they would be ready for talks with a new government but days later Pakistanis were shocked when a suicide bomber attacked a jirga, that had gathered to discuss security in the Darra Adam Khel region in the northwest, killing 42 elders.

But central to any attempt to negotiate would be the jirga, the most respected institution in Pashtun society, where tribal elders have the moral authority to make binding decisions on issues such as peace and expelling the foreign militants.

“The jirga is the only institution that can be effective, there’s no other way,” said Rahimullah Yusufzai, a veteran journalist and expert on Pashtun affairs based in Peshawar.

Authorities struck a new deal in North Waziristan last month. The government official said it would give an opportunity to get aid in and win over the people.

But while the US has promised $750 million for the Tribal Areas, the official said little was being done.

No major activities: “We are not seeing any major activities as far as livelihood improvement or investment in the social or economic sectors. Nothing is coming in, that’s where we’re lagging,” he said. I know of plans by the Taliban for a lot of attacks,” Yusufzai said. “If there are more attacks and the Americans realise there is some incursion from Pakistan they’ll put pressure on the army and the government.”

Mahmood Shah, a former Tribal Areas security chief said, “Al Qaeda create doubts in the minds of the people. They are succeeding on the propaganda front.”

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

My understanding is that the afghan taliban are also hunting Mehsud and Fazlullah.

Theres no point in fencing the border in my opinion....waste of time and money,it only takes a dozen or so people to get across the border at any point and cauce havoc.
The israelis have built a wall and they cant stop the bombers!
The money should be spent on intelligence gathering ,smart weapons and better trained police.

its impossible to attain 100% security, but fencing can reduce infiltraion. without a fence anyone can come and go as they please and any suicide bomber can enter any time.

the wall israel build may not be 100% secure, but it has saved countless lives. before the wall was build we would hear of suicide bombings in isael almost every week. but off late the palestinians have been unable to send suicide bombers over like they used to. today's attack was the first in many months. shows how effective fencing is.

There is difference between a fence and a concrete wall. Israeli’s built a concrete wall and it is somewhat working for them. What Pakistan is planning on doing is building a fence of some sort perhaps of barbed wire. This is not as affective as a wall. Either Pakistan should also build a wall or use the money to better arm and train its soldiers. Fence is unfortunately not the solution.

There is difference between a fence and a concrete wall. Israeli’s built a concrete wall and it is somewhat working for them. What Pakistan is planning on doing is building a fence of some sort perhaps of barbed wire. This is not as affective as a wall. Either Pakistan should also build a wall or use the money to better arm and train its soldiers. Fence is unfortunately not the solution.

A wall for a long border in an inhospitable mountainous terrain like the Pak-afghan border is too costly. but several layers of barbed wire is possible.

a fence basically delays the militants, and with regular military patrols its hard to break through fences. without fences, militants can just avoid patrols and eter your territory. with a fence in place, the militants have to break through that fence, all the while avoiding military patrols. this makes life really difficult for them.

Suicide plot suspects arrested

Suicide plot suspects arrested

By Our Staff Reporter

LAHORE, March 6: Police on Thursday claimed arresting three suspected would-be suicide bombers belonging to a banned militant organisation near a bus stand in Shafeeqabad.

The police team, assisted by a secret agency, found 50kg of explosives, four explosives-packed jackets, four bundles of orange fuse cable, several bundles of electric and non-electric detonators, orange-coated fuses and two bottles of explosive chemical.

The accused — Abdul Majid of Khanpur, Qamar Saleem of Gujranwala and Nadeem Shahzad of Kot Radha Kishan, Kasur — had reportedly confessed to having planned to target sensitive installations and important government personalities and carry out terrorist activities, including suicide attacks and bombings, in Lahore.

Capital City Police Officer (additional IG) Malik Mohammad Iqbal said that Shafeeqabad police had received information that three suicide bombers had entered the city with a large quantity of explosives.

Police said they arrested the accused after they had alighted from a bus coming from some ‘tribal area’ and were waiting for local transport near the bus stand.

He said the three men had also confessed to being members of a defunct militant group. He did not specify.

Mr Iqbal said he believed the police had averted horrific devastations in the provincial capital and ensured people’s safety.

When asked to identify the targeted installations and personalities, the CCPO said it was inappropriate to disclose the information at this time because of the matter’s sensitivity.

He also declined to say if the three men were connected with the suicide attacks at the GPO Chowk and the Naval War College.

He said the arrests had been made possible because of “effective intelligence sharing and coordination between the law-enforcement agencies”.

Suicide plot suspects arrested -DAWN - Top Stories; March 07, 2008

I think the above post just highlights my point about having the police chase these terrorist and better intelligence gathering.

A wall for a long border in an inhospitable mountainous terrain like the Pak-afghan border is too costly. but several layers of barbed wire is possible.

a fence basically delays the militants, and with regular military patrols its hard to break through fences. without fences, militants can just avoid patrols and eter your territory. with a fence in place, the militants have to break through that fence, all the while avoiding military patrols. this makes life really difficult for them.

Pakistans security lies in helping the taliban back into power and not building a fence to seperate us.

its impossible to attain 100% security, but fencing can reduce infiltraion. without a fence anyone can come and go as they please and any suicide bomber can enter any time.

the wall israel build may not be 100% secure, but it has saved countless lives. before the wall was build we would hear of suicide bombings in isael almost every week. but off late the palestinians have been unable to send suicide bombers over like they used to. today's attack was the first in many months. shows how effective fencing is.

The recent attacks in israel including the one last night where 8 people where killed where in response to israels attacks that have left over 160 people dead, just under quarter a being children and 800+ injured.
The wall did not stop these attacks.

Pakistans security lies in helping the taliban back into power and not building a fence to seperate us.

VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!!!

That should end the debate.

Pakistan cannot be a safe place without its back yard protected.

VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!!!

That should end the debate.

Pakistan cannot be a safe place without its back yard protected.

Provided that Pakistan gain some physical advantage I mean if Pakistan help Taliban than after gaining power Taliban should join Pakistan.

Provided that Pakistan gain some physical advantage I mean if Pakistan help Taliban than after gaining power Taliban should join Pakistan.

I have to disagree on this point,i would love for pakistan and southern afghanistan with a corridor to the central asian countries to join together, but i can not see that happening very soon.
A taliban style govt in pakistan would destroy the country.
We should only help the taliban to gain power and once in govt assure us that no anti pakistan elements will be allowed to operate from there area and that they will pursue a pro afhgan/pakistan policy.

Do not forget this was the same taliban that was giving shelter to the terrorists that where killing shia's in pakistan and also housed the guy that tried to kill nawaaz sharif the PM of the country at the time........so yeah.... where friends but not best freinds
I only support the taliban becauce i know they are the best bet for pakistans security....if there was someone better, belive me i would fully support them!

The taliban should take power,get a grip of the country over a 10 year peorid and then have elections for a representative govt.
Get the taliban in power and then get out of there.....leave the running of the country to the afghans with no interference from pakistan.
We should only get involved in the hospitals and school sector in afghanistan, thus building true longtime goodwill.

I have to disagree on this point,i would love for pakistan and southern afghanistan with a corridor to the central asian countries to join together, but i can not see that happening very soon.
A taliban style govt in pakistan would destroy the country.
We should only help the taliban to gain power and once in govt assure us that no anti pakistan elements will be allowed to operate from there area and that they will pursue a pro afhgan/pakistan policy.

Do not forget this was the same taliban that was giving shelter to the terrorists that where killing shia's in pakistan and also housed the guy that tried to kill nawaaz sharif the PM of the country at the time........so yeah.... where friends but not best freinds
I only support the taliban becauce i know they are the best bet for pakistans security....if there was someone better, belive me i would fully support them!

The taliban should take power,get a grip of the country over a 10 year peorid and then have elections for a representative govt.
Get the taliban in power and then get out of there.....leave the running of the country to the afghans with no interference from pakistan.
We should only get involved in the hospitals and school sector in afghanistan, thus building true longtime goodwill.

Actually what I was trying to say that Taliban after gaining control should join Pakistan and participate in the political stream rather than militancy. I am also against the Taliban style Govt but everyone reserves rights to have their point of view after becoming part of Pakistan they can struggle politically.

The recent attacks in israel including the one last night where 8 people where killed where in response to israels attacks that have left over 160 people dead, just under quarter a being children and 800+ injured.
The wall did not stop these attacks.

without the wall there would be suicide bombings every day. the wall has prevented hundreds of suicide bombing since the bombers usually get shot while trying to scale the wall

without the wall there would be suicide bombings every day. the wall has prevented hundreds of suicide bombing since the bombers usually get shot while trying to scale the wall

So you dont see a connection between israeli attacks and then the usual retaliatory attack back by hamas using suicide bombers?
There has not been more suicide bombings in israel for the simple reason that israelis over the past few years has not carried out mass attacks on the palestinians where large numbers of woman/children where murdered.
The wall is of no use other then israel grabbing land.......
Let the isreali keep attacking the palestinians and we will see who is correct about how much protection the wall gives.

So you dont see a connection between israeli attacks and then the usual retaliatory attack back by hamas using suicide bombers?
There has not been more suicide bombings in israel for the simple reason that israelis over the past few years has not carried out mass attacks on the palestinians where large numbers of woman/children where murdered.
The wall is of no use other then israel grabbing land.......
Let the isreali keep attacking the palestinians and we will see who is correct about how much protection the wall gives.

The israeli miltary has claimed that the wall was a success. i read it in janes defence weekly. i'll try get the link or tell you the issue no.

the fact remains that a wall which is under constant surveillance will definitely diminish the number of terrorists crossing over. if walls were so useless, then why have they been used throughout history?

The israeli miltary has claimed that the wall was a success. i read it in janes defence weekly. i'll try get the link or tell you the issue no.?

Did you think the israeli army was going to say it was useless?
It is a well that the wall is being used to grab land.

the fact remains that a wall which is under constant surveillance will definitely diminish the number of terrorists crossing over. if walls were so useless, then why have they been used throughout history?

Like the berlin wall......ooh that collapsed.
hadrian's wall....great wall of china.....at the end where all breached.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom