Pakistan
Pakistan should be depicted with respect in Bollywood films: Indian directors
By Entertainment Desk
Published: December 29, 2018
0SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1877053-raazi_cover_ht-1546072671-293-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: HINDUSTAN TIMES

Rajeev Masand’s The Directors Roundtable somehow always manages to highlight important aspects of film-making in Bollywood. The Indian journalist brings together a host of actors to discuss issues plaguing the industry and what can be done to eradicate them.

This time, however, the focus wasn’t just on India but Pakistan too. Well, at least the portrayal of Pakistan in Indian films which, refreshingly, has been rather positive of late.

raazi_15_edit-1523347565.jpg

SCREENGRAB

This year saw the release of three major Bollywood films, namely Mulk, Raazi and Manto, which showed a soft image of Pakistan. In Meghna Gulzar’s Raazi, for instance, there was no sense of jingoism even though the storyline was based on internal politics between the two neighbouring countries.
The Pakistani characters in the film were treated with as much sensitivity as their Indian counterparts and to have a big star like Alia Bhatt star in such a film made it even better.

manto-2-1516944982.jpg

PHOTO: INDIAN EXPRESS

Masand brought Gulzar together with Manto director Nandita Das and Mulk’s Shoojit Sircar to discuss this change in ideology. Asked if they were happy that they were able to show these stories and felt that it was high time to Pakistan was shown with sensitivity, Das said, “Absolutely. It was needed for sure and I think that is why all three of us engaged on the subject.”

Adding to this, Gulzar said, “To be able to do it was also something like this was very liberating. I am coming from a place where, there was a time where you couldn’t even say ‘Pakistan’ in a film and one was restricted to using worlds like ‘uss taraf (that side)’ or ‘parosi (neighbour)’ etc…So, to be able to say ‘Pakistan’ now in a film is a big step forward.”

1772560-mulk-1533285710-108-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: RISHI KAPOOR/TWITTER

Talking about how so many Pakistani singers lend their voices to Bollywood songs, Sircar said, “We are collaborating on a creative process. We are not dividing but rather uniting so what is the harm in it?”

Another important point raised in The Directors Roundtable was the fact that no international has ever been allowed to shoot in Pakistan and any scenes picturised on Pakistan have to be shot in parts of India or Kashmir.

No rather I want you to continue the abuse so that shameless people and official may wake up and do the needful. We don't need your sugar coated poison so keep on doing and please abuse Pakistan more.

there are many who think like you .

No rather I want you to continue the abuse so that shameless people and official may wake up and do the needful. We don't need your sugar coated poison so keep on doing and please abuse Pakistan more.

I agree ... Indian so called "respect" is their Trojan horse!

Our Pakistani Neo-liberals are naive appeasers who foolishly fall for any trick.

Pakistan needs to set up a special security department whose main aim should be to reduce the Indian soft-power. To begin with, they should try to help revive our local film industry which will subsequently eradicate the influence of Bollywood. Recent trend suggests that Bollywood viewers in Pakistan are declining, in contrast to what it was 2 decades back. By doing this we can kill two birds with one stone. Firstly, we can save our precious foreign reserves from going to our nemesis. Second, we can help our local industry which we can use to project our soft power and earn dollars. Moreover, Pakistani films have great potential in Middle-eastern markets, as we have a lot in common.

Well, then don't roll into cinemas when there is a Bollywood movie. Because you're making us money. I read somewhere the Movie Sultan made some 10 crores during Eid holidays.... lol
I never watched any crap from Gangadesh nor did my family or friends.. there is a minority that watches this crap but their number is going down.

I never watched any crap from Gangadesh nor did my family or friends.. there is a minority that watches this crap but their number is going down.
Good for you. But that's not general case here. The people in Pakistan still watch bollywood movies despite all the tall claims in PDF. Also, Sultan is a recent movie. You like the numbers to go down but it isn't.

If we make a great hit and release it in Pakistan, Pakistanis will flock to watch it.

@war&peace @PAKISTANFOREVER Indian films have a large audience in Pakistan. Whenever an Indian movie is banned in Pakistan, there is protest in Pakistan and people try to bootleg a movie. So it would be appropriate to expect Pakistan is depicted in Indian movies with respect and dignity.

Movies like sports build bridges between nations. India is not mature enough to allow bilateral sports yet. They will come to that stage too. Its better for all us to lower hostilities and build bridges.

Remember fighting is very easy. Arousing fear, drumming up patriotism to fight a war does not require a leader. Bringing peace does need a leader.

@war&peace @PAKISTANFOREVER Indian films have a large audience in Pakistan. Whenever an Indian movie is banned in Pakistan, there is protest in Pakistan and people try to bootleg a movie. So it would be appropriate to expect Pakistan is depicted in Indian movies with respect and dignity.

Movies like sports build bridges between nations. India is not mature enough to allow bilateral sports yet. They will come to that stage too. Its better for all us to lower hostilities and build bridges.

Remember fighting is very easy. Arousing fear, drumming up patriotism to fight a war does not require a leader. Bringing peace does need a leader.
Let's agree to totally disagree on this..I don't even want to argue on this issue and I stand by my point because I'm not shameless or idiot

The only way to counter the Bollywood crap is to create our own quality content. Our music is already superior. Time to focus on good storylines and script. Our film industry is still hung-up on bollywood style Rom-Com, Over-patriotic propaganda military movies or remakes. This needs to change pronto.

How can you build peace or negotiate with a nation and a race of people who call for the death and destruction of your race, nation and religion? It's impossible to do so.

Also, I beg to differ in your opinion. I have just got back from Pakistan a few months ago and the situation there is very different. In fact completely different to what it was 10-15 years ago. The demand for indian films has virtually gone. No one cares or talks about bollywood like they used to in the 1990s. The CPEC effect has truely sank in, in Pakistan.

Last edited:
Good for you. But that's not general case here. The people in Pakistan still watch bollywood movies despite all the tall claims in PDF. Also, Sultan is a recent movie. You like the numbers to go down but it isn't.

If we make a great hit and release it in Pakistan, Pakistanis will flock to watch it.
fools will hate india ,hate the world and dance on the indian songs ....:enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom