What's new

Pakistan, Russia to up anti-terror cooperation

It will be beneficial for Pakistan to have good relations with Russia! there are few things to clear first though..

1) When Russia lent her hand in 1948 to PAK, to become strategic partner we refused and our PM flew to US instead. Interesting point is that Russia offered it to PAK first and not to India. However we could't grasp that opportunity.

2) In the collapse of USSR PAK played vital role.

3) India did very well on this front and developed solid ties with Russia and i should say their politicians were far sighted in this case and knew US couldn't be trusted. Russia gave them all the tech specifically for their defence needs and never showed their back, unlike USA which has used PAK on numerous occasions and still embargoed.

Why did they go to US, if Russia extended invitation to Pak first, given Russia is in our backyard whereas US is in a different continent? What made US seem so special?

If they had accepted Russia instead of US, today we would be a sufficiently developed country with strong backing of two big countries: Russia and China. And the US would be clamoring to achieve influence in this region by selling better weapons to us over India.

Instead we have the opposite. Nothing from Russia, low intensity (albeit long-lasting) relations with China, and a cancerous relation with the US. Whereas India is enjoying backing from Russia, benefits from US, and improving trade relations with China. For Pakistan, a total foregin policy/relations/strategy disaster.

If we curbed Russian interests in the region in the Afghan war, then we should try to make up for it by inviting and giving them a greater stake in Pakistan today. It will be in Russia's interest because they, along with China, probably don't want a hegemonic US implementing its designs with impunity in their very own backyard.

Last edited:
I dont know why Indian folks are so mean when it comes to Pakistan's friendship with other countries, be it Russia. They have every right to align themselves with any country they want for their interests.

However, the headline says it all by itself.. Cooperating on Anti Terror front. The sole reason why Pakistan is in headlines..Everybody wants to align with you on that front only. Why??

However, the headline says it all by itself.. Cooperating on Anti Terror front. The sole reason why Pakistan is in headlines..Everybody wants to align with you on that front only. Why??

Some part of conversation is available.

DMITRY MEDVEDEV:
We have a good reason to meet: we meet regularly to discuss regional problems, and I hope that now too we will have the opportunity to discuss regional issues and talk about our bilateral relations. We have been in regular contact with each other in general of late, and I think this is very useful for our bilateral relations.

As for the question of our region’s security, this is an ongoing and very important issue.

I think it is very important that Pakistan is represented by its president at this SOC summit. This gives us the chance to discuss the most complex issues requiring collective decisions.

I hope we will exchange views on what we can do to develop our bilateral dialogue.

President of Russia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom