What's new

Pakistan rumored to be interested in additional RJAF F-16s

Not even China considers FC1 anything special. Its an export to poor countries like us.
You get what you pay for, and you pay what you can afford, and what you can afford is dictated by your economy.

JF-17 was a good project, win-win for both parties. Cost-effectiveness was a core requirement.

So it's pointless to mention this, for Pakistan it is indeed special for the capabilities and freedom it provides at a relatively affordable price with the option to incrementally upgrade it's technology.

Why would China consider a lightweight fighter as "special"? Makes no sense in their context.

You get what you pay for, and you pay what you can afford, and what you can afford is dictated by your economy.

JF-17 was a good project, win-win for both parties. Cost-effectiveness was a core requirement.

So it's pointless to mention this, for Pakistan it is indeed special for the capabilities and freedom it provides at a relatively affordable price with the option to incrementally upgrade it's technology.

Why would China consider a lightweight fighter as "special"? Makes no sense in their context.
Bro even Sweden with a population less then Karachi can make and export its own planes. Its not really an economic giant.

Bro even Sweden with a population less then Karachi can make and export its own planes. Its not really an economic giant.
Population less than Karachi but an economy double Pakistan's, and have a look at the GDP per capita. R&D practically non-existent tbh.

Pakistan needs to create a better eco-system from the ground up. Fix the schooling system which is world's behind Sweden and the west. Promote a culture of pure meritocracy and get rid of the toxic work culture.

Go through the Project Azm thread and read through the messages of people who have connections deep within the R&D institutions, it's in complete shambles and very toxic, all quality talent wants to escape.

Sweden doesn't manufacture jets from scratch. Many of the Gripen's inputs come from overseas, e.g., engine, flight control system, etc. It's quite difficult to indigenously produce a fighter without a deep industrial base for gas turbines, steel, composites, etc. Sweden has some of those inputs, but not all of them. E.g., it uses GE engines, British electronics, etc.

However, Sweden does do design and management pretty well. So, with the Gripen, the Swedes designed the jet such that they could pick out the best, low-cost Western inputs available on the market. As a result, the upfront cost of the Gripen is markedly lower than other Western fighters. So, while it's not indigenous, it avoids some problems of importing a foreign design (e.g., where you're stuck with certain suppliers).

This is what the PN is doing with its projects. So, with the Jinnah-class frigate, for example, we'll still import steel, electronics, propulsion, etc, but we'll choose our suppliers directly. As a result, the PN has more control over things like cost and, to an extent, being sanction-proof (by being able to switch suppliers through internal re-design work).

Do any of the Operations Peacegate ring any bells?
Compensation for services rendered...

Plus US still owes Pakistan from the withheld F-16's of the Pressler Amendment fame...and no soybean wasn't sufficient compensation for those plus it didn't include the accrued interest.

Compensation for services rendered...

Plus US still owes Pakistan from the withheld F-16's of the Pressler Amendment fame...and no soybean wasn't sufficient compensation for those plus it didn't include the accrued interest.

Independent of one's personal views about that, the point was that provision of F16s to Pakistan was subsidized by US taxpayers. That point stands.

Sweden doesn't manufacture jets from scratch. Many of the Gripen's inputs come from overseas, e.g., engine, flight control system, etc. It's quite difficult to indigenously produce a fighter without a deep industrial base for gas turbines, steel, composites, etc. Sweden has some of those inputs, but not all of them. E.g., it uses GE engines, British electronics, etc.
Fair point...

However, unlike the US, France and/or Russia - Sweden has to take a backseat each time a Nation does take an interest in the Gripen - especially from the US, as the Volvo powerplant is basically a GE Engine (as you pointed out).

Case in point: Canada dumping the Gripen for the F-35.

We all know that India wouldn't touch the Gripen with a 6-foot pole, but if Pakistan were to take interest in it, I doubt Sweden would care for India's politics. They'd be put in the corner by the US itself.

Well if it is our money than it should be possible to show that. Unless we have an Ishaq Dar of our own :angel:.
so you are an amreeki after-all, like I suggested (and you protested) " I am a student and here in US at my own expense not on any amreeki scholarship"

you should keep track of the fibs you tell to avoid getting caught. If I recall correctly you were a very vociferous Pakistani on July 25th 2019

Last edited:
so you are an amreeki after-all, like I suggested (and you protested) " I am a student and here in US at my own expense not on any amreeki scholarship"

you should keep track of the fibs you tell to avoid getting caught. If I recall correctly you were a very vociferous Pakistani on July 25th 2019
Student? 2019? What are you talking about.
About me, I never got here on any scholarship. About being US and/or Pakistani - read up on US immigration laws. I dont need to disclose my personal details, but living in US, whether citizen or not, the IRS collects taxes from me as per the law :angel:

Last edited:
:pop:I will wait and see. Only makes sense if the vipers can be acquired cheaply. Pakistan's long term interests still lies with JF-17, IMO. Pakistan should look to get a local production license for a 100KN class Turbofan engine.

Back
Top Bottom