What's new

Pakistan Punjab Assembly approves resolution to make Guru Nanak's birthday a public holiday

halka_kutta

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LAHORE: Sardar Ramesh Singh, the first Sikh member of the Punjab Assembly, tabled a resolution requesting that the birthday of Guru Nanak, founder of Sikhism, be made a public holiday.Ramesh Singh is a member of Pakistan Muslim League — Nawaz (PML-N) and the resolution was approved in the Punjab Assembly on Wednesday.

The passing of the resolution comes just a few days after members of the Sikh community stormed through the gates of Parliament House to protest against the alleged desecration of their holy books.

The protesters later apologised for entering the premises in a violent manner and forwarded a list of demands to members of the Senate.

Leader of the House Raja Zafarul Haq had assured the 13-member Sikh committee that he would forward their demands to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

Well nothing wrong with it if people in the state/province want the day to be a Holiday to celebrate the birth of the Guru then why not.

Please tell me the logic behind that?

The Guru was born in Pakistan, one of the Sikh members of Pakistani Punjab assembly wanted it to be a national holiday, we accepted it, end of story.

The Guru was born in Pakistan, one of the Sikh members of Pakistani Punjab assembly wanted it to be a national holiday, we accepted it, end of story.
His statement was that all Sikhs are automatically Pakistani, Sikhs aren't a race last time I checked.

I respect guru nanak and don't have any thing against accepting demand of Sikhs but is it not unjust with other minorities of Punjab i.e. Hindus & Christians who are in far greater numbers.

His statement was that all Sikhs are automatically Pakistani, Sikhs aren't a race last time I checked.

His meaning, as I take it, is that the Guru is a world religious leader, was born in Pakistan - so it is good that his birthday - is a holiday here, makes our Sikh citizens happy also.

Sikhism aswell as the Real Rig veda followers religion is Pakistan because of its origin in Pakistan.
That still doesn't make sense, anyone can convert to Sikhism. Will they automatically become Pakistani?

Back
Top Bottom