What's new

Pakistan Premier: ‘No Use’ for Armed Militias Anymore

It's unfortunate, but this is why we want the US out of Afghanistan. I hope for a better Afghanistan, but the truth is that for some time to come, it will be a host of everyone's dirty business.
Honestly, i hope not. I'd much rather we were rid of these elements altogether. Its not hard to put together mercenaries again.

Pakistan Premier: ‘No Use’ for Armed Militias Anymore

Prime Minister Imran Khan speaking to reporters on Tuesday. “We will not allow armed militias to operate anymore,’’ he said.CreditSaiyna Bashir for The New York Times
09imrankhan1-articleLarge.jpg

09imrankhan1-articleLarge.jpg

Prime Minister Imran Khan speaking to reporters on Tuesday. “We will not allow armed militias to operate anymore,’’ he said.CreditCreditSaiyna Bashir for The New York Times

By Jeffrey Gettleman

• April 9, 2019
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — His country nearly went to war with a neighboring enemy six and a half times its size. Militants lurk in religious schools and in the countryside.

And with inflation soaring and debt ballooning, his finance team is scrambling, desperate to secure a multibillion-dollar rescue package to avoid economic collapse.

But Imran Khan, Pakistan’s prime minister, is apparently feeling confident about his first eight months in office — so much so that he invited a group of foreign journalists for an informal, hourlong chat on Tuesday in Islamabad, the capital.

While he seemed subdued, with puffy circles under his eyes, Mr. Khan also sought to project resolve — particularly about ridding Pakistan of the militants it once tolerated.

crack down on militant groups that shelter in Pakistan.

Casimir Pulaski, Polish Hero of the Revolutionary War, Was Most Likely Intersex, Researchers Say

‘I Really Just Wanted the Comfort of My Husband’s Being There’

How Gold’s Horseradish Came to Be a Passover Staple

Mr. Khan observing Pakistan Air Force exercises in March.CreditAkhtar Soomro/Reuters
merlin_152502579_65605859-ec7d-428e-9990-16b0e9a63dc3-articleLarge.jpg

merlin_152502579_65605859-ec7d-428e-9990-16b0e9a63dc3-articleLarge.jpg

Mr. Khan observing Pakistan Air Force exercises in March.CreditAkhtar Soomro/Reuters
Mr. Khan promised that this new crackdown would go far deeper than previous ones criticized as cosmetic. The government, for instance, plans to send 200,000 teachers to religious schools across the country to teach secular subjects like English and math. The intention, Mr. Khan’s aides said, was to deradicalize students.

An international watchdog group, the Paris-based Financial Action Task Force, is on the brink of blacklisting and sanctioning Pakistan. If that happened, Pakistan would face greater difficulties in obtaining the financial bailouts and loans it has sought.

“We can’t afford to be blacklisted,’’ he said on Tuesday.

But Mr. Khan has also won praise for his seemingly coolheaded and statesmanlike behavior during the recent crisis with India, which he helped de-escalate by releasing a captured Indian pilot and emphasizing peace. He seemed quite cognizant that the last thing Pakistan needed was a war.

On Feb. 26, around 3:30 a.m., Mr. Khan said he was awakened by a phone call. A top military official told him that Indian warplanes had just crossed the border and conducted airstrikes on Pakistani soil.

Pakistan and India have been bitter enemies since 1947 when Britain decolonized the Indian subcontinent and created two nations: the mostly Hindu India, and the mostly Muslim Pakistan. The two have warred several times.

This time, the spark was a suicide bombing in the disputed territory of Kashmir that killed dozens of Indian soldiers. India blamed Pakistan for supporting the militant group behind the attack and vowed revenge.

After learning that the Indian bombs had fallen into an empty ravine around Balakot (India said the bombs had struck a terrorist training camp), Mr. Khan said Pakistan opted for a measured response and bombed an empty area just across the Indian border.

a large bailout from the International Monetary Fund, but those often come with painful austerity conditions. His finance team has been reluctant to turn to the I.M.F. but now promises that a deal will be announced in the coming weeks.

Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

Later you publish stamps of dead militants. :tup:

The next U turn is around the corner.

Blah blah blah ... Waste of time this article.

Almost all countries have supported 'irregular' militias; whether it's in their own country or another. The reality is that you can never, by their nature, have full control over them.

Already have been. Your hands are dirth with the blood of 150 children.

Where is the proof ?? And don't forget that Pakistan do have enough enemies to your west, south west and within as well. It can be anyone.

Honestly, i hope not. I'd much rather we were rid of these elements altogether. Its not hard to put together mercenaries again.

No, it's not. Proxies are essential for modern conflicts. They're particular useful during times of relative peace where you cannot overtly use your military.

Statement specifically for FATF I guess. :o:

Yeah, and I guess every country reserve similar rights. ;)

Giving moral support to militants who have killed literal civilians, just for attention and support, wont fare well.

In contrast the Kashmiri freedom fighters target only the soldiers and policemen, and any person who is acting as an intelligence source. And I am not referring to Lashkar-e-Taiba here, but the pure Kashmiri fighters.

In laymen's terms, would a country want to support someone who tried to bomb a whole train with innocent civilians inside to absolute nothingness?

Is he (IK) really so much think headed or covertly serving some foreign agencies ?
Can he... with all his authority prove that Pakistan operated any militia at any point of time?
Can he name any head of state from history besides Asif Ali Zardari.... if not than he should specifically call out name of Asif Ali Zardari or he has no balls.
Otherwise, his statement put Pakistan in same line as Iran, and that day is not far when Indians will quote him in UN and every where else.
His statement is already in international press and we talk about 5th generation warfare!

Back
Top Bottom