What's new

Pakistan needs $230b to end energy crisis: Expert

Use common sense man...
It has to be 230 billion rs...definitely not $ssss....:drag:

ok then it becomes 2.5 billion dollars.....question remains the same....where will they get that money

We need to try to control our population. In the long run, the demand for resources will increase!

I say its better to setup Wind power and Solar energy projects instead of coal. Its cleaner, sustainable and there is huge potential. Of course $$ is always the issue.

Use common sense man...
It has to be 230 billion rs...definitely not $ssss....:drag:
My frnd it is $$$$$$ not ruppees. Building power form 200 mill people over 15 yrs is not a joke. Its a huge capital investment.

We need to try to control our population. In the long run, the demand for resources will increase!

Starting from tonight :lol:

Wrong Figure ,

We Need Rs 320bn to clear Deferred payments which is around = $3.3bn ( Production + 4000MW)
WE Need Addtional $15bn for current projects ( +6700 MW)

And around $ 13bn for next 5 years Power projects ( + 5000 MW)

Total Peek Need of Pakistan = 18000MW
Average Need = 14000MW
Low Need ( Winter) = 11000MW
Increase Expected in 5 years = 7000 MW

Total Needed in 5 years = 25000 MW

Current Production Capacity = 19500 MW
Currently Feasible Capacity is = 14500MW
After Clearing $3.3bn debt it can be increase To = 17000MW

+ Addtional Projects = 17000+5000+6700 = 28500 MW in five years

So Right now we only Need around $31.3bn to Tackle the power crisis .

Well said.

I say its better to setup Wind power and Solar energy projects instead of coal. Its cleaner, sustainable and there is huge potential. Of course $$ is always the issue.

Wind and solar is going to provide a tiny tiny percentage of our total needs. It is like a snack among the three big meals a day for an adult person.

For our near term needs of 80,000 Mega watts, wind solar can at most provide 100-200 and at 10 times the cost.

peace

............. Dr Shaukat Hameed Khan, Executive Director of Society for the Promotion of Engineering Sciences and Technology in Pakistan (Soprest), has said that Pakistan requires about $230 billion to meet its increasing energy requirements in the next two decades................

Is there a way to get a more detailed analysis as to how Dr. Khan arrived at that figure, given your breakdown below?

Wrong Figure ,

We Need Rs 320bn to clear Deferred payments which is around = $3.3bn ( Production + 4000MW)
WE Need Addtional $15bn for current projects ( +6700 MW)

And around $ 13bn for next 5 years Power projects ( + 5000 MW)

Total Peek Need of Pakistan = 18000MW
Average Need = 14000MW
Low Need ( Winter) = 11000MW
Increase Expected in 5 years = 7000 MW

Total Needed in 5 years = 25000 MW

Current Production Capacity = 19500 MW
Currently Feasible Capacity is = 14500MW
After Clearing $3.3bn debt it can be increase To = 17000MW

+ Addtional Projects = 17000+5000+6700 = 28500 MW in five years

Wrong Figure ,

One thing i cant see in your figures, transmission. Over 20% of power in Pakistan is lost in transmission, including theft.

Every year the transmision infrastructure is allowed to decay the more it is going to cost to repair and the more waste there will be. 31 bil may build the projects but the cost to transmit will add a large slug on top of that.

Electric power transmission and distribution losses (kWh) in Pakistan

electricity-theft-1345389000-4354.jpg

One thing i cant see in your figures, transmission. Over 20% of power in Pakistan is lost in transmission, including theft.

Every year the transmision infrastructure is allowed to decay the more it is going to cost to repair and the more waste there will be. 31 bil may build the projects but the cost to transmit will add a large slug on top of that................

Okay, good point, but even by bumping up the estimates to make up for lost power, one still remains well below $40 billion at the most.

I would sure like to see how Dr. Khan got to his $250 billion estimate.

Okay, good point, but even by bumping up the estimates to make up for lost power, one still remains well below $40 billion at the most.

I would sure like to see how Dr. Khan got to his $250 billion estimate.

Maybe it includes the money that politicians will eat away. If $250 bill is invested, 40 would go to power and rest in swiss banks. Dr. Khan is one wise man. :lol:

yaar India Pakistan ka ek hi haal hai :lol:

Maybe it includes the money that politicians will eat away. If $250 bill is invested, 40 would go to power and rest in swiss banks. Dr. Khan is one wise man. :lol:

yaar India Pakistan ka ek hi haal hai :lol:

Now THAT is a point I cannot reply to! :D

Pakistan has $14 trillion in natural resources of coal only...

And Im pretty sure its not $$$$

If this figure is correct then Pakistan is going to have a hard time plugging the gaps-a VERY hard time.

If this figure is correct then Pakistan is going to have a hard time plugging the gaps-a VERY hard time.

Its an estimate, not any official figures. To fix power shortage right now, I don't think Pakistan needs more than $20 bill.
I think he is talking about 10-15 yrs in future, after Pakistan is growing at rapid rate in population atleast.

Back
Top Bottom