What's new

Pakistan Navy’s 2300 Tons OPVs launched by Damen

For ships like these, i wonder what route they will go to equip it with SAMs or will they only utilize CIWS? I think these ships are ideal for the Tor-m2km which would allow the temporary fitting of a vls based 16km range SAM designed to take out CMs. The system brings 8-16 sams and can be lashed to any space with enough area.

If you are playing Soccer you get a shoe to give you proper performance and works well in grassy conditions

If you are feeling fancy you get the fancy shoes
81E0uiZHnOL._UL1500_.jpg

But getting .......basic shoes ...you can't play high performance sports
factory-price-promotional-price-femininas.jpg

What Pakistan is doing is getting few , of these OPV which are ... just patrol boats and trying to see how it can be customized to perform like a high performance frigate or Destroyer

I dont agree. The Damen are supposed to be long endurance security vessels. They will take the anti-piracy/anti-smuggling roles required by the navy and lend support and heavy firepower for PMSA when needed. But in times of war they will be outfitted with armaments capable of helping front line ships in a fight. They will have a swing role, but mainly they are for patrol which they can do quite well. I would say they should be fitted with 2 CIWS like Type 730 or even Pantsir-M which can be equipped with missiles when needed. The gun mounts will add needed protection during war but offensive firepower during patrol then during war, equip with Harba and possibly lash Tor-m2km to them for added anti-air/anti-missile protection (if you dont add missiles to the gun mounts).

As for the more advanced frontline roles, PN spent big on MILGEM/Jinnah (if they all do indeed come with the vls), Type 054A, and 8 Hangor. The only thing i wish is tgat they spend a but to upgrade F-22p sensors and weapons. They also need to work woth China/Turkey or even south africa, Russia or SKorea to develop a 40-60km quad packed SAM (or if possible, acquire the 9m96e2 quad packable SAM from Russia).

I dont agree. The Damen are supposed to be long endurance security vessels. They will take the anti-piracy/anti-smuggling roles required by the navy and lend support and heavy firepower for PMSA when needed. But in times of war they will be outfitted with armaments capable of helping front line ships in a fight. They will have a swing role, but mainly they are for patrol which they can do quite well. I would say they should be fitted with 2 CIWS like Type 730 or even Pantsir-M which can be equipped with missiles when needed. The gun mounts will add needed protection during war but offensive firepower during patrol then during war, equip with Harba and possibly lash Tor-m2km to them for added anti-air/anti-missile protection (if you dont add missiles to the gun mounts).

As for the more advanced frontline roles, PN spent big on MILGEM/Jinnah (if they all do indeed come with the vls), Type 054A, and 8 Hangor. The only thing i wish is tgat they spend a but to upgrade F-22p sensors and weapons. They also need to work woth China/Turkey or even south africa, Russia or SKorea to develop a 40-60km quad packed SAM (or if possible, acquire the 9m96e2 quad packable SAM from Russia).
tbh I wouldn't put much stock in Russia. Pakistan's two main suppliers now are China and Turkey, so a long-range SAM solution will come from one of them. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if one (or all) of the Pakistan Navy, Army and/or Air Force is keeping an eye on the Hisar-U and SIPER (on top of FD-2000).

The PN has definitely been very rational with its approach, so I do think a long-range SAM-equipped ship is on the horizon. Heck, seeing how the PN went the extra step to fit the MILGEM with VLS (especially if it's all 4 ships -- on top of buying design rights, ostensibly to make more), maybe they got China to configure the Type 054A/P with a longer VLS for a future LR-SAM down the line?

That said, Pakistan should work with South Africa on the Marlin/Umkhonto-ER and Cheetah C-RAM, use the latter a PDMS in-lieu of RAM (fit pedestal-based VLS blocks on all ships).

I The only thing i wish is that they spend a but to upgrade F-22p sensors and weapons. They also need to work woth China/Turkey or even south africa, Russia or SKorea to develop a 40-60km quad packed SAM (or if possible, acquire the 9m96e2 quad packable SAM from Russia).
The F22p upgrades are planned as per@Rafi. They will probably go once the 054s come in and get upgraded. We have resource constraints so things do not always happen as quickly as we want them to.
A

The F22p upgrades are planned as per@Rafi. They will probably go once the 054s come in and get upgraded. We have resource constraints so things do not always happen as quickly as we want them to.
A

It will be interesting to see how significant the upgrades will be and whether it will be a minor upgrade or major with the addition of VSL. I think it would be entirely possible to replace the deck that FM90 sits on with a 16 cell vls (would likely come to the same height as the deck is now so as to minimize structural changes but may need weoggt balancing). Other idea would be to replace FM90 AND both CIWS with something like Pantsir-M (albeit that would require Russian assistance, which @Bilal Khan (Quwa) points out is unlikely) but that would give you 24 SAMs with 20km range for all targets and 3 gun mounts with a toatal of 6 guns.

It will be interesting to see how significant the upgrades will be and whether it will be a minor upgrade or major with the addition of VSL. I think it would be entirely possible to replace the deck that FM90 sits on with a 16 cell vls (would likely come to the same height as the deck is now so as to minimize structural changes but may need weoggt balancing). Other idea would be to replace FM90 AND both CIWS with something like Pantsir-M (albeit that would require Russian assistance, which @Bilal Khan (Quwa) points out is unlikely) but that would give you 24 SAMs with 20km range for all targets and 3 gun mounts with a toatal of 6 guns.
If there's enough space under the area of the FM90, then it might be possible to place the Umkhonto EIR (30-35 km range). Alternatively, the PN can wait for the Cheetah C-RAM system and rely on the pedestal VLS instead.

There was talk of inserting a "Plug" allowing for space fora VLS. However it is my memory Iam relying on and with all affairs related to armed forces we only know what we are told. So let us wait and see. To be honest Iam unhappyas to why this aspect was not dealt with originally. Again you onlyscratch the surface so the underlying story remains unknown.
A

If there's enough space under the area of the FM90, then it might be possible to place the Umkhonto EIR (30-35 km range). Alternatively, the PN can wait for the Cheetah C-RAM system and rely on the pedestal VLS instead.
Problem for Cheetah is that it only has a 6km range and is only a pdms. It cannot serve as the main SAM for F-22p. Umkhonto sure but Cheetah would be pdms at best

Damen is great you can ask them for ToT
Indonesia have ship built by them and we get ToT
I believe only 2 were ordered. Probably makes no economic sense to produce in Pakistan?

That said Pak will produce 2 types of Ships.

The Type54A/P frigates - 2x in Pakistan & 2 in China.

Milgem - a modified variant dubbed “Jinnah Class” will be produced in Pak while 2 in Turkey.

I believe only 2 were ordered. Probably makes no economic sense to produce in Pakistan?

Milgem - a modified variant dubbed “Jinnah Class” will be produced in Pak while 2 in Turkey.
Why paknavy choose many source just for corvet?
My navy use damen for corvette and denmark for destroyer

Pakistan had signed a deal in July 2018 for the sale of 4 MILGEM corvettes which Turkey has begun construction of 1st stealth warship for the Pakistan Navy at the end of this September. The MILGEM deal is estimated to be worth about $1 billion in value and this deal includes ToT to Pakistan, two of which will be constructed in Karachi.

All four type 54 will be produced in China.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom