What's new

PAKISTAN NAVY SHIPS: YARMOOK-CLASS CORVETTE

They are not retiring?
The PN is probably hoping to keep them in service for a few years more atleast. The tenders were for the indigenous development of battery monitoring systems (owing to obsolescence and discontinuation of the particular submarine class, OEM support is not available).
I can not say of this requirement will fulfill an emergency need or if the PN intends it as a long term solution to keep the submarines in service for a few years (i.e. 8-10 years)

It seems like the old dream of a 20-ship Navy is about to be fulfilled.
With the PN's order book filled, it is a time to be grateful and proud of what the Navy has achieved.
New ships/submarines on order (and/or undergoing systems installation/sea trials)
4x Type 054AP-class frigates
4x MILGEM Ada/Jinnah-class frigates
2x Yarmuk-class Corvettes
8x Hangor II - class submarines

1x oceanic survey/research vessel
1x Fleet tanker (auxiliary support vessel)
2x RAS-27 Sea Eagle MPA
UAVs and UCAVs

Added to this, modern elements of the current fleet:
4x Zulfiqar-class frigates (F-22P, Type 053H)
1x OHP-class frigate (which is being upgraded a/c to publicly available tender data)
4x Azmat-class FACs
3x Khalid-class AIP submarines (Agosta 90B with MESMA which are being upgraded with 21st century systems)
2x Hashmat-class diesel-electric submarines (Agosta 70 which are being modestly upgraded a/c to publicly available tender data)

3x Munsif-class minehunters (French Sagittaire-class, current systems not known, ships were highly modern as per description given in a PN book from 1995)
7x P-3C Orion LRMPA

With the new additions, the size of the PN fleet has nearly doubled (for the surface fleet) and nearly tripled (for the submarine fleet). The aviation fleet is also undergoing modest modernizations, however the bulk of the modernizations in the aviation fleet are probably scheduled for the mid to late 2020s (i.e. after 2025) when the PN's new jet LRMPA and UCAVs begin to enter service.

3 Sea Eagle ATR aircraft soon, third is going modification.

What are the original planned ATRs?

Unsure, 3 for certain, maybe PN will convert one more as head of the German company doing conversion said they expected contract for one more. So will add up to 7 P-3C and 4 Sea Eagle. More then enough for a coastline our size. I expect next project will be long range replacement for P-3C and new helicopters

Unsure, 3 for certain, maybe PN will convert one more as head of the German company doing conversion said they expected contract for one more. So will add up to 7 P-3C and 4 Sea Eagle. More then enough for a coastline our size. I expect next project will be long range replacement for P-3C and new helicopters
We have 7 P3Cs or 6?

The PN's twin-engine LRMPA program.

Considering all of PN aviation is based near Karachi and we chose ATR for medium range MPA which PIA operate, I think it would make much sense for PN to go for A320 based long range MPA too as PIA have extensive facilities and training devices for this in Karachi as well . PIA A320 fleet is 12 aircraft

Considering all of PN aviation is based near Karachi and we chose ATR for medium range MPA which PIA operate, I think it would make much sense for PN to go for A320 based long range MPA too as PIA have extensive facilities and training devices for this in Karachi as well . PIA A320 fleet is 12 aircraft
A320 would be interesting in that it, technically at least, has the capacity for an internal bomb-bay. The question is whether the PN (and/or PAC) can independently modify it to have a bay, or whether they'll just look at only external hardpoints. I hope they take it all the way (i.e., A320, hardpoints, internal bay).

A320 would be interesting in that it, technically at least, has the capacity for an internal bomb-bay. The question is whether the PN (and/or PAC) can independently modify it to have a bay, or whether they'll just look at only external hardpoints. I hope they take it all the way (i.e., A320, hardpoints, internal bay).
With an A321, extra fuel tanks can be added, while still retaining the internal bay, but increasing loiter time.

Does the PN's specifications/requirements for the prospective LRMPA platform (given in the tender) match the A320's specs (MTOW, etc)?

Back
Top Bottom