What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

LPI Alper radars from Aselsan seem to be for 12 ships. Wonder what ships these could be -
2 Yarmouk
4 Milgem
4 additional Azmat ??
4 Jinnah ??

Something doesn't add up.

As Swift Class Corvettes from USA are not coming I think order of these OPV\Corvette will get doubled.

I dont think the Swiftships are coming, they lost to Damen?

LPI Alper radars from Aselsan seem to be for 12 ships. Wonder what ships these could be -
2 Yarmouk
4 Milgem
4 additional Azmat ??
4 Jinnah ??

Something doesn't add up.

Perhaps an F-22P MLU.

4 Jinnah Class
4 Type 54 AP
2 Corvette
2 future procurement unknown
Type 54s are not going to have Western systems on board.

XXXXXXXX

Regarding PNS Alamgir - This is right now one very large OPV. However, is it possible that when Italian SAMs Perhaps the CAMM is introduced, it can also be fitted to PNS Alamgir? I have reasonable suspicion PN may be going for an Italian SAM.

Wasn't aware of this export to Pakistan - Note 'ARES-2NCL Extended' is designed specifically for surface vessels and are integrated on some of Turkey's fast attack boats.
Untitled-7.png

Source- Aselsan's 2019 Annual Report.

Type 54s are not going to have Western systems on board.

XXXXXXXX

Regarding PNS Alamgir - This is right now one very large OPV. However, is it possible that when Italian SAMs Perhaps the CAMM is introduced, it can also be fitted to PNS Alamgir? I have reasonable suspicion PN may be going for an Italian SAM.

So the dimensions of the Sylver A50 are not very different from the mk41 self defense module (5m vs 5.3m). The Sylver also comes in a 3.5M and 4.3M and 7M variants whereas the Mk41 has a 6.8M tactical variant and a 7.7M strike variant. With respect to fitting CAMM or CAMM-ER (which the Italians will use), the lengths are 3.2M and 4. 2M respectively though i have read the CAMM-ER cannister is 4.4M. Regardless, it would fit in the Sylver A50 in quadpacked layout. Given that Australia (Adelaide Class) and Turkey (Genesis Class) fit 8 cell Mk41, PN should be able to fit Mk41 or Sylver A50 for CAMM or CAMM-ER. It would be interesting to see if PN can get brits to sell CAMM, PN could get it quad packed in sylver 35 (Which comes in 4 or 8 cell) for F-22P to replace FM90

So the dimensions of the Sylver A50 are not very different from the mk41 self defense module (5m vs 5.3m). The Sylver also comes in a 3.5M and 4.3M and 7M variants whereas the Mk41 has a 6.8M tactical variant and a 7.7M strike variant. With respect to fitting CAMM or CAMM-ER (which the Italians will use), the lengths are 3.2M and 4. 2M respectively though i have read the CAMM-ER cannister is 4.4M. Regardless, it would fit in the Sylver A50 in quadpacked layout. Given that Australia (Adelaide Class) and Turkey (Genesis Class) fit 8 cell Mk41, PN should be able to fit Mk41 or Sylver A50 for CAMM or CAMM-ER. It would be interesting to see if PN can get brits to sell CAMM, PN could get it quad packed in sylver 35 (Which comes in 4 or 8 cell) for F-22P to replace FM90

Interesting thoughts, and very enlightening. I doubt F-22P will get western SAM, for both technical and political reasons, as well as economics of putting such an expensive system on an older boat. While integration is not impossible, techincally they always remain problematic and sub-optimal, and a pain.

Something I never understood is the utility in terms of missile defence of a 30-50 km range SAM (this may be my own fault and lack of understanding). Yes, I can see that they can be useful against aircraft but in real war conditions, your air defense radar on a ship can max detect AShMs and aircraft flying low at about 60 km maximum (more like 40km in real world conditions).

This means that from detection to providing a firing solution, an AShM will be at about 10-15 km from your ship by the time your response gets to it (in terms of a SAM fired from the ship). So, A ship basically needs a 15 km range SAM system to protect itself against incoming AShMs / CMs.

Given modern strike aircraft armed with AShMs and CMs, there is little meaning in having a SAM system that can target an enemy strike aircraft at 70 kms. Simply because the enemy aircraft can simply release the AShM from 100 kms away and fly away willy nilly, unscathed.

So again, I don't understand the utility of having LR-SAMs on PN boats. They are expensive and difficult to maintain. Their only utility is:
1. As an air defense umbrella for a flotilla
2. Against enemy aircraft that wander into your SAM radius
3. Against enemy helicopters and slow moving aircraft, keeping them away from you to a further distance.

These however, seem relatively peripheral capabilities, in the presence of PAF air umbrella. This is why I feel that Pak should focus on a 10-20 km naval SAM system.

Congrats to 18A specially all Ormarians on their Passing out Parade.
14 Ormarians have been commissioned for the first time .
Best of luck to all for their future career.

EdSFb8NX0AA5sJj

Pakistan Navy is currently undertaking an evaluation about scope and extent of upgradation of PNS Alamgir.

Back
Top Bottom